Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another 1.6 Tdci Turbo/dpf Problem

welsh focus

Hi All
I'm new here and this is my 2nd post, my first was to say hi in the introduction area.

Well I have some problems and having had a good look round the site I have no idea what I'm going to do so I thought I would ask the forum for some advice sorry but it’s a long one.

I have a 2006 1.6tdci zetec climate with 96k and a sketchy service history, I bought the car in May With 88k and had a full service including oil and fuel filters, timing belt, water pump, fan belt. All was great until about 1month ago when I got a red light (no Symbol) and a message saying engine systems fault on the dash, I took it to my friends garage and he said I need to do a regeneration on the dpf so 2 bottles of dpf cleaner into the tank and a nice 70min drive along the local express way and home again in 4th at 3500rpm.

That seemed to do the trick but it has done it a couple of times so process was repeated, and again seemed ok.
Engine codes that came up were always the same
P2458
P0299
P0089

Then a whooshing noise from the front engine area appeared last week so fords had it (friends garage closed as on holiday), they relived me of £300 and said it was an intercooler pipe split and my dpf was blocked.
£1300 for a new dpf from fords so I said no thanks. Unofficially a mechanic said that a local garage would do a dpf removal and ecu delete. I went to the said garage where he said he could do it but it is probably a worn turbo and its on its way out he then removed the rhs (as you look at the engine) pipe from the turbo and wiped oil out he said that the turbo is passing oil and is worn and could go at any time so it would be better to replace turbo and do dpf removal and ecu delete all in one for £1200.

I have since been told turbos pass oil anyway ???
Is the turbo going or on its way out??

I have read a lot about carbon build up injectors leaking turbo replacements so I'm stuck I have got someone round next week ( http://www.westcoastremaps.co.uk/#!dpf-removal/c90w ) to do the dpf while he is doing that what can I do at the same time to help my car, and wallet in the future. he is costing me £300 for the removal and ecu delete so I dont have much cash left if I can do something to prevent anything else it has to help me.

I do a high milage so will be replacing the oil every 5k miles already done it once.

Sorry its so long but any help and advice is truly appreciated I like the focus and dont really want to sell it and buy something else more so because I can’t afford to.

Mark

• Like 1

This all sounds the same as I had on my 2007 1.6TDCi, except for the whoosing noise. I drove it with the engine warning lights on for the best part of a year until the performance and economy really started going bad and then took it for a dpf delete and remap. All is good since then and its been over 6 months. The performance and fuel economy has never been better, about the same mileage as yours. There will be people coming along to warn about the MOT implications of the dpf delete so it will be up to you what you do, but I have yet to hear of anyone fail due to this.

BTW the oil in the turbo pipe has always been there on my car. I take take this pipe off at every oil change to get access to the filter and it always needs a wipe. I have been told that a bit of oil is ok.

Hope this helps.

Had my DPF removed and engine remapped and I can wholeheartedly recommend it!

More power when you need it and economy is fantastic. Was getting around 42 MPG but now I'm nudging 62 MPG.

Had my first MOT done this weekend with the DPF out and it sailed through it except a bald front trye but emissions test passed with flying colours!

Very happy I had it done! :)

• Like 1

Had my DPF removed and engine remapped and I can wholeheartedly recommend it!

More power when you need it and economy is fantastic. Was getting around 42 MPG but now I'm nudging 62 MPG.

Had my first MOT done this weekend with the DPF out and it sailed through it except a bald front trye but emissions test passed with flying colours!

Very happy I had it done! :)

+1

Have your dpf internals removed and ecu remapped,

You need to keep the dpf chamber in place for visual inspection on the MOT,

Also blank your EGR valve see guide on my profile page,

And fit a Cotton Green Performance induction filter see guide on my profile page aswell,

And finally use a can of wynnes engine flush for diesels on your next three oil changes to remove th3 carbon contamination from the egr and prolong turbo life.

• Like 2

What he said! ^^^^^^^^^

+1

• Like 1

+1

Have your dpf internals removed and ecu remapped,

You need to keep the dpf chamber in place for visual inspection on the MOT,

Also blank your EGR valve see guide on my profile page,

And fit a Cotton Green Performance induction filter see guide on my profile page aswell,

And finally use a can of wynnes engine flush for diesels on your next three oil changes to remove th3 carbon contamination from the egr and prolong turbo life.

Thank you for the help

Does it specificaly have to be a Green performance filter or will a k&n filter do the same job Also with the wynnes engine flush a few threads have said not to use it as it can disloge some crud/carbon deposits and cause a blockage in some of the oil pipework and gauze filters??

• Like 1

Thank you for the help

Does it specificaly have to be a Green performance filter or will a k&n filter do the same job Also with the wynnes engine flush a few threads have said not to use it as it can disloge some crud/carbon deposits and cause a blockage in some of the oil pipework and gauze filters??

a K&N will do the same job however Green are said to be more free flowing,

Ive always used wynne's engine flush and will continue to do, can feel the difference and hear it at idle speed,

Up to yourself if you want to or not,

Thanks for all the advice,

EGR Blanking plate and green performance air filter ordered today ready to be fitted on saturday with dpf removal and remap. Is it worth taking the egr off to clean with brake and cluch cleaner befor fitting blanking plate or just fit blanking plate?

oil was changed 3900 miles ago so will buy some wynnes diesel engine flush middle of next month ready for an oil and filter change.

Looking at a couple of threads people have said magnatec 5/30 fully synthetic oil is the one to go for any type of oil filter or just a generic one from the motor factors (not Unipart).

Any more advice and tips are very welcomed.

On another note I'm looking at buying and engine code reader from flea bay anybody sugest a good one prices seem to vary from £15 up

Mark

Thanks for all the advice,

EGR Blanking plate and green performance air filter ordered today ready to be fitted on saturday with dpf removal and remap. Is it worth taking the egr off to clean with brake and cluch cleaner befor fitting blanking plate or just fit blanking plate?

Oil was changed 3900 miles ago so will buy some wynnes diesel engine flush middle of next month ready for an oil and filter change.

Looking at a couple of threads people have said magnatec 5/30 fully synthetic oil is the one to go for any type of oil filter or just a generic one from the motor factors (not Unipart).

Any more advice and tips are very welcomed.

On another note I'm looking at buying and engine code reader from flea bay anybody sugest a good one prices seem to vary from £15 up

Mark

no reason to clean inside the EGR prior to blanking as once its blanked nothing will flow,

I would however remove the induction pipe between air box and turbo using some dry kitchen towel wipe iterior of the pipe clean of oil residue,

Castrol 5W/30 is the stuff,

I purchased my last oil filter and copper washer from micksgarage.com i chose a Bosh filter but all generally the same,

If purchasing a code reader,

Purchase a wired non bluetooth ELM327 they read codes but can also ne modified to program various parimeters on your focus,

Better still purchase a modified elm327 see guide here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

off on a tangent but how much of a pain in the !Removed! is getting to that oil filter Lenny? it looks like Ford found the one of the most awkward places to put something that needs lots of attention much like dismantling half the front end to get to the the EGR valve!

ive been using FORscan to help push forward my paranoia on the DPF, ive got about 3K before it reckons its full, happy days.

it'll be gone before xmas one way or another.

edit: Ha, tad harsh on the naughty word list FOC! ;)

• Like 1

off on a tangent but how much of a pain in the !Removed! is getting to that oil filter Lenny? it looks like Ford found the one of the most awkward places to put something that needs lots of attention much like dismantling half the front end to get to the the EGR valve!

ive been using FORscan to help push forward my paranoia on the DPF, ive got about 3K before it reckons its full, happy days.

it'll be gone before xmas one way or another.

edit: Ha, tad harsh on the naughty word list FOC! ;)

its a Citröen Peugeot engine mate most economical engine in its class so ford bought some 1.6HDi called them 1.6TDCi and here we are :lol:

Cant beat em join em,

Anyways changing oil filter,

Remove airbox, hose between airbox and turbo,

28mm socket to remove oil filter housing,

Then replacing oil filter gotta remove top bolt and loosen bottom bolt on the intercooler pipe to allow the lip of the oil filter housing sit back in to the engine block,

Does take a bit of fiddling shes no toyota :lol:

• Like 1

£300 for an intercooler hose? Jeez, the part is only £60, did they use platinum spanners?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

£300 for an intercooler hose? Jeez, the part is only £60, did they use platinum spanners?

+ Ford labour cost :rolleyes:

ive fallen out with my local dealer over cost aswell, service guy broke my pollen filter housing when changing pollen filter then charges me for the replacement filter housing that he broke,

They also snapped a corner off my engine under tray through brute force and ignorance the forget to remove a bolt but insisted all bolts had been removed thus pulling it down with there body weight snapping the corner off,

The final straw was when i had the lowering springs fitted, they tried to bill me for laser tracking alignment even though they dont have a laser tracking machine on site! Or any sort of alignment equipment,

They hadnt even aligned the wheels by eye because the negative camber was out by half an inch,

as you can see in this image taken just after leaving ford,

Notice the excessive negative camber bottom of wheel sticking outwards leeds to excessive wear on inside of tyre,

IMG_20130516_212656_zps7adbdcc6.jpg

IMG_2877_zpsvm1ksnrf.jpg

Never will i go back to ford dealer again pure cow boys, they don't share a Passion for ford, they share a Franchise business just happens to be Ford branded garage, they need to pay ford X amount per month to maintain the license so they fleece me and you in order to keep themselves in employment,

Dpf internally removed, egr blanked, purchased a haynes manual and will do oil services myself only out source a reliable independent mechanic to service the brakes and mechanicals should a problem arise in the future.

• Like 1

Thanks for the vid Lenny, I'm going to practice on the gearbox oil first which looks idiot proof, then do an engine oil change once the dpf gone in the next couple of months, all tooled up, just need a free day.... :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the vid Lenny, I'm going to practice on the gearbox oil first which looks idiot proof, then do an engine oil change once the dpf gone in the next couple of months, all tooled up, just need a free day.... :D

no prob,

Thats not me in the video btw lol i just found it on YouTube and linked it,

I had to get Souhan.ie to service my car this time due to having a disc out in my lower back at present i was unable to complete the job after purchasing all required parts, but i saw them do it and ive studied the haynes, sadly im unable to manouver that well going on 14 weeks now.

only good thing is that ford unofficialy told me to get the dpf removed and remap at local 3rd party garage then said garage tries to fleece me of £1200 for a new turbo and dpf delete.

I'm telling my mate not to go on holiday again.

Had to order a pipercross air filter company selling green filters on eBay said their out of stock for 2 weeks and will send it me then or cancel order, told them to cancel as its needed for saturday. They are out of stock yet still floging them on eBay.

Its all fun and games

• Like 1

only good thing is that ford unofficialy told me to get the dpf removed and remap at local 3rd party garage then said garage tries to fleece me of £1200 for a new turbo and dpf delete.

I'm telling my mate not to go on holiday again.

Had to order a pipercross air filter company selling green filters on ebay said their out of stock for 2 weeks and will send it me then or cancel order, told them to cancel as its needed for saturday. They are out of stock yet still floging them on ebay.

Its all fun and games

:o £1200? Thats atleast £400 over priced including labour,

My local ford agreed that EGR was better off blanked aswell,

But the ford mechanics dont write the labour cost and parts prices there supervisor does all of that with deviant strategy.

Did you see my guide on Green Cotton Performance filters?

Has a link to purchase from priracing with a 10% Discount code,

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36783-green-cotton-performance-induction-filter-fitting-guide/

That said though,

Ive used a PiperCross filter in my Toyota Levin BZR and it was pretty good,

IMG_20140318_102216_zps6vbmofx_edit_1395

IMG_20140318_102239_zpsphwtvdz_edit_1395

I did see your note about the green filter but because I'm confident around basic service work I didn't look at the guide so didn't see the discount.

Well i have an over all update. Last Friday car went into permanent limp mode so took it to garage and they said glow plug problems were coming up on the codes. A new set of glow plugs were ordered so on Saturday morning I started the replacement process. First glow plug was located and started to remove plug was tight to remove but came out ok only to find that the tip of the glow plug had snapped off inside the head.

This was the last straw the car has now been part exchanged for a 62plate Vauxhall corsa ltd edition 1.3 diesel with 10k on the clock. I really didn't fancy another ford, which is a shame because I loved my focus but I had go do something. Only went for the Vauxhall because ford didn't have any good deals.

• Like 1

I did see your note about the green filter but because I'm confident around basic service work I didn't look at the guide so didn't see the discount.

Well i have an over all update. Last Friday car went into permanent limp mode so took it to garage and they said glow plug problems were coming up on the codes. A new set of glow plugs were ordered so on Saturday morning I started the replacement process. First glow plug was located and started to remove plug was tight to remove but came out ok only to find that the tip of the glow plug had snapped off inside the head.

This was the last straw the car has now been part exchanged for a 62plate Vauxhall corsa ltd edition 1.3 diesel with 10k on the clock. I really didn't fancy another ford, which is a shame because I loved my focus but I had go do something. Only went for the Vauxhall because ford didn't have any good deals.

:o you've sum balls coming on here sayin ya bought a corsa :lol:

Just havin a laugh mate, hope it goes well