• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name: Harry
  • Ford Model: None
  • Year: 2014

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hey all,

First post here.  Just test drove a Mondeo.  I sold my Astra VXR last week.  I'm going to seriously miss the acceleration it had, but I need something bigger, more reliable, cheaper to run etc.  Really liked the mondeo - it was a 2L petrol 11 plate Zetec (ad said sport, are they the same?) with all the toys and only 7k miles on the clock for £8999.  Is this a good buy? It drove lovely, just not 100% sure on whether it's too big or not.  Reason I need a bigger car is that I fly RC planes and helicopters so could really use the extra space :)

Anyways, thanks for the help.  Any buying tips and things to look out for would be really appreciated! :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

If you are used to a quick car and want something fast(ish) go for the 2.2L diesel and get it remapped - some versions are good for 220HP and almost 500Nm, but still with decent MPG on a run, (probably faster and better MPG than a 2.0L petrol ) its a big car and there is plenty of space in a mk4 Mondeo, but it sits nicely on the road, does not feel like a "barge"  

#3 amraam

amraam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Thanks FOCA, I thought of getting a diesel, but I only do ~6000 miles a year and most of my journeys are short hops, so I'd kill the dpf quickly... 

How are fords compared to Vauxhalls in terms of build quality and reliability?

#4 SeanW

SeanW

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,031 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, that's probably a dangerous question to ask here :P

Vauxhall isn't a particularly favourable brand on this 'ere forum lol

You know the theory about putting monkies infront of typewriters? Where it's said that given enough time they'll be able to re-create the works of Shakespeare? But mostly gibberish?

Well, if you swap "typewriter" for "car factory" and "gibberish" for Vauxhall... ;)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

#5 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

Thanks FOCA, I thought of getting a diesel, but I only do ~6000 miles a year and most of my journeys are short hops, so I'd kill the dpf quickly... 

How are fords compared to Vauxhalls in terms of build quality and reliability?

I had a Vectra in the past and have driven Corsas as hire cars, the Corsas were horrible little boxes and the Vectra was very unreliable, compared to my experience of Fords, the Fords were much better cars to drive (handling and ride) and more reliable.

The interior trim on the Vauhalls i owned/ drove were cheap and tacky, the Vauhalls have supposed to have improved in recent years (allegedly) but my previous bad experiences have put me off them

Car manufacturers products and image change over time - like Mercs used to be very well built, now they are not, Skodas were cheap cars, anything from Korea was garbage, etc etc      

#6 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,345 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

If you get the 1.8 TDCi it doesnt have a DPF, for that matter I cant recall if both the 2.0 and 2.2 both have the DPF, but you will always get more grunt outa the diesel...

The 2.0 petrol is still a very good engine overall!

#7 amraam

amraam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks all.  I don't know rules on links here, but this is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.mcdougalb...201407175889411

I like the styling and feel of Vauxhalls, always have, but the company are horrible. No customer care.  I do have a baby face (despite being 27) so it doesn't help but garages never want to help, so not going back.  My mate had a Focus ST when I had the VXR and it was a better built car overall. 

Only thing stopping me from going ahead is that I haven't test driven the Mazda 3...

#8 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

If you get the 1.8 TDCi it doesnt have a DPF, for that matter I cant recall if both the 2.0 and 2.2 both have the DPF, but you will always get more grunt outa the diesel...

The 2.0 petrol is still a very good engine overall!

Later (Mondeo mk4) TDCI 1.8s have DPFs, (yours is a 2007, by 2010 they are probably all factory DPF equipped)

As far as im aware all Mk4 Mondeo 2.0 & 2.2s with the PSA engine have factory fitted DPFs

The OP is accustomed to having a quick car, and the bigger- engined/ more powerful Mondeos may be more suitable for him, often, if you are used to running/ owning a more powerful car, "downsizing" to a less powerful/ slower car can be a big dissapointment and can suck the joy out of motoring - An Astra VXR is quite a fast car, its about the equivelant to a Focus ST - even a stock one almost as quick cross country as my Mondeo (don't ask how i know this :) )  

There is always the 2.5T -  fast car, nice to drive, shame about the brakes and the MPG

Astra VXR (05-10) 236HP  6.2 SECS 0-62, 152MPH

Mondeo mk4 2.0L (duratec) 145hp  9.6SECS  130MPH

there are 3 different 2L petrol engines, in the mk4,  the "old nail" of the 145/150Hp NA duratec, and the 203 and 240Ps ecoboost turbocharged engines, far better/ more powerful, the car in the OPs ad, has the "old nail" (its the same engine that was in the mk3)   

#9 amraam

amraam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

Later (Mondeo mk4) TDCI 1.8s have DPFs, (yours is a 2007, by 2010 they are probably all factory DPF equipped)

As far as im aware all Mk4 Mondeo 2.0 & 2.2s with the PSA engine have factory fitted DPFs

The OP is accustomed to having a quick car, and the bigger- engined/ more powerful Mondeos may be more suitable for him, often, if you are used to running/ owning a more powerful car, "downsizing" to a less powerful/ slower car can be a big dissapointment and can suck the joy out of motoring - An Astra VXR is quite a fast car, its about the equivelant to a Focus ST - even a stock one almost as quick cross country as my Mondeo (don't ask how i know this :) )  

There is always the 2.5T -  fast car, nice to drive, shame about the brakes and the MPG

Thanks again.  Would love the 2.5T, but I'll just have the same Tax, insurance and low economy that I had with the VXR.  It would also be impossible to get a low mileage/young model in my budget (not a penny over £9k). I'm trying to save a house deposit too so don't want to touch my savings - current thinking is £7k deposit (what I got for the VXR plus a little cash) and £2k tops on finance.

#10 amraam

amraam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Just been to see the alternative, which is a 2011 1.6L Mazda 3 Takuya.  It didn't have anywhere near the same presence.  Granted I didn't test drive, but tbh I don't think I will bother.  Salesman was helpful and polite, but the car just didn't pull me in like the Mondeo did.  For only £500 more, the mondeo had a lot more to offer.

My only concern is the size. Only I can answer it, but I just don't know if I need/want a car of this size.  The boot space would be amazingly useful though!

hmm....

#11 amraam

amraam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hi all, back again.  Can I just ask, when looking at this 11 plate Mondeo, what warranty would I get and how fast do depreciate? Thanks!

#12 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,345 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Because its out of manufacturer warranty, it would only be what additional warranty the garage offers you.

Basically you have your rights under the Sale of Goods act, which entitles you to the first 6 months trouble free motoring, any defect in that time is assumed inherently faulty and is the liability of the dealer to pay to prove otherwise, which is why more often than not, they will just pay to repair it (cheaper than an inspection and a repair).

Beyond that, you might be able to buy an additional warranty from them but I wouldnt bother.

I would personally say go to someone like warranty direct, you can get some seriously cheap cover there. you can get bumper to bumper electrical, mechanical protection (of course excludes consumables) and you could get 3 years cover for a few hundred quid. The age and mileage of the car means you will pay a darned site less than if it had the higher mileage. Also might be worth speaking to Ford about their bumper to bumper warranty, by all accounts even that on such a youthful car, can be a cheap deal.

#13 amraam

amraam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hi all,

I've still not bought a car, and have significantly dropped my budget top £6500 tops.  Looking at this tomorrow: http://www.tnscars.c...201409047113771

Is buying a diesel a really bad idea when I only do ~7k miles a year?

#14 The Admiral

The Admiral

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Name: Vincent
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 2.0 Titanium X
  • Year: 2010

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hi amraam,

I'd recommend the mk4 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 petrol there quick , comfy , reliable good on juice for the size and loaded with gadgets and with winter coming you can beat a heated FRONT windscreen and heated front seats.and your'd get a good'un with ur budget.

#15 amraam

amraam

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Please point me to one.  They're incredibly rare.  Everything I find is hundreds of miles away :(

The nearest one to me is this at 115 miles away and something about the whole site seems off to me...

http://www.philwalke...201409137363173

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users