Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Ford Focus Problem With Fuel Management?

cstwig

Hi Guys,

First time poster here, couldn't find much online so I thought I'd try posing the question to a forum to see what kind of response I get.

I've had my Focus a couple of years now, and have been getting on great with it... had a few hiccoughs along the road, but got most of them ironed out.

So since I've had the car, I noticed that when it is warm, and drops to idle (pulling up to a junction etc) the revs go a bit too far, and it has to correct itself - like it's forgotten how much petrol it needs to stay idle. I noticed this on the "common faults" sticky thread, which makes me feel a bit better! This on it's own is not really a concern, however occasionally, particularly when stuck in stop start traffic or parking, it will stall. It seems to be an extension of this idle problem, because as soon as i turn the key back round it springs back into life.

The reason I am posting however is that this (assuming these problems are related) has gone a step further - around 50% of the time I get in the car now it doesn't start first time. So i turn the key, the started motor fires up and makes a healthy noise (battery is brimming with power), but it doesn't start. Like there is no petrol going to the engine. So i turn off the ignition, and turn it on again - and it instantly starts.

The car is serviced (by me) every 5k miles, and had it's last (plugs, air/oil filter, oil change) 4k miles ago. The plugs are fine... has anyone experienced this before?

I'm just looking for some advice, as I don't have (potentially) hundreds of pounds to give to Ford... so if anyone knows what could be causing this/if it's something I can "DIY", then I look forward to hearing from you!

Have you changed the fuel filter, could be collapsing and starving the engine when the engine is not under load ????

I haven't no... didn't think of that one, assumed a fuel filter would be fairly buried in the tank etc - is it an easy job?

Depending on your version of easy really BUT the fuel filter is usually located under the car next to the fuel tank just be very careful not to break the clips on the plastic fuel line that clips onto the metal fuel filter, :D :driving:

Thanks mate, have just had a quick look, apparently fiddly due to ingenius placement by Ford, but doable none the less. Just ordered one off eBay, will give it a crack when it arrives!

P.S. My definition of easy is anything easier than changing the "Vehicle Speed Sensor" in the gearbox.... THAT was awful.

Tbh I don't think the fuel filter is gonna make any odds on this one.

The revs going up and down could be down to the ICV - idle control valve.

As for the car not starting, some more investigation required. Does it make any odds if you give it some throttle to try and start?

Thanks Stef.

The revs don't go up and down per se, it just goes down too far, judders as if approaching a stall and then corrects itself. Once corrected, the idle revs are pretty stable. It only does this once warm - when cold the revs go as high as 2.5k when slowing to idle - they kind of spike before coming to rest.

I feel I should say that other than this small dip in revs when returning to idle, the car runs completely smoothly.

It makes no difference what-so-ever what I do with the accelerator pedal. occasionally it kind of splutters into life if I leave the starter motor engaged, but I normally turn off the ignition, and turn it on again (almost immediately) and it just starts. I always give the pedal a little bit when I turn it over, but I have tried giving it loads, and not bothering... it makes no difference.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club