Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Don't Take A Diesel Into London

Kye

WTF!!!

OK so I will just pull out the old 3.5 litre petrol Merc SLK and I just pay the Congestion Charge, meanwhile I get my 1.4TDCi and I get shafted for another £10....

Boris seriously needs to stop being a douche.

He has stupid idea's way above his station, I can understand old cacky diesels that put out more soot than gas - fully agree, but you should not blanket all diesels just because they were not bought in January next year :|

I am thinking a few swear words about this idiot. I dont drive into Central London often, but I can guarantee there will be a day where it needs to happen, I just feel sorry for all those who do! this guy is beyond morals...

Not due for another 6 years though by which time we will all be getting around in robotic pods powered by rabbit farts.

• Like 1

haha, love it Rick!

To be fair though, even if it is 6 years, its not really an incentive for people to give up their cars they have now and just get the new Euro 6 or probably Euro 8 by that time :|

Has to be a wind up cos the ratio of black cabs to diesel cars has to be 3-1 and as all cabs are diesel...

Time to re-evaluate the use of EGR's and such like?....

pfft, just get rid of the EGR's, DPF and anything that makes it better :P if your going to be persecuted you might as well do the job properly!

That is just a back stab. After the government tell us to buy diesel and all this filth now they want us to get rid of it? 6 years is not long that's a good amount of time to keep a new car. its so wrong borris can be such a knob.

The busses are the problem because they've been there way before diesel cars were this popular. And public transport isn't even upto the challenge

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

The new petrol cars are now starting to threaten diesels MPG figures as well now and all those electric hybrid thingies are getting even more and we all pay a lot less for RFL as a result so wait and see how the government hikes that up pretty soon as well.

Yeah I think that's because manufacturer have neglected to advance diesel. Why no ecoboost diesel? Why no 3 cylinder diesel? Why no hybrid diesel?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

agree entirely, but the eco engines havent really had a decent opportunity to be seen as strong and reliable as the diesel is, it could be that the art of petrol eco engines is far from mastered, in which case people (like me) would rather buy a diesel they know is generally bulletproof, than to buy a 1.0 eco/turbo that is a lot of work to fight the weight of a big car. I struggle to see how the likes of the 1.0 turbo/eco engine on the ecosport will fair as well as a diesel equivelant. Thats a lot of weight to put on a small donkey!

We might find that these petrol engines can far outlive diesels, likewise, we might find that they are only truely good for 80-100k on the clock...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems that other cities are watching Boris' example and might jump on the band wagon! Islington council is now in the process of fining vehicles that leave their engines running while stationary. So junctions, jams and bus stops will be targetted

it also seems that NOx and other such Nitric nasty's are the target now. They're to blame for 7000 deaths due to poor air quality. They are looking to charge pollution taxes to enter city centres. Not such a huge deal for me at least. I'd rather not drive into cities at all.

However it is the rumblings of upping the road tax that scares me. A range of articles are saying that the tax bands will remain the same, but who knows what the government and Herr Boris has up his sleeves.

Euro 6 engines will be exempt from these charges. However I'm reading that cars pre 2006 will come under attention. What this attention is I can't find out. Anyone have any ideas?

With such a range of experiences on these forums, is there anyone out there that can shed some light from experience or educated opinion? It would be nice to keep up to date with what the powers that be are planning.

Is there a way to reduce the NOx emissions ourselves? EGR blanking, remaps etc? Or is the produce of these gases part of the

diesel life? I have read that Mazda has reduced their compression ratio's to get results. What does that mean exactly? Shorter piston strokes? Less pressure?

It won't be on your particular personal car but on the model. They will do it by reg number as it was when it manufactured.

• Like 1

Ties in nicely with ANPR being used more across London. Everything will be done via your reg plate, road tax, insurance, fines.

• Like 1

There's been rumours of congestion charges in Leeds. Hope not as I work in the city centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so let me get this right he wants to ban the dirtiest diesels from driving through london?? and charge the rest of the diesels 10quid hahah hes useless if england is anyway like Ireland and is selling dirty diesel to people then boris has only his own government to blame for not properly putting there foot down.

another thing does the big ships that sail up and down that river get charged they are probably 60% of the problem right there.

• Like 2

Probably not as they are not contributing to congestion, and what about diesel trains also?

It's just another way to shaft the average driver really.

thats what we get when londoners vote for this twit with a yellow mop on his head.

• Like 1

Probably not as they are not contributing to congestion, and what about diesel trains also?

It's just another way to shaft the average driver really.

they may not by causing congestion them ships but they do cause pollution and it is my understanding this congestion charge is there to promote using public transport when entering london. with the idea being less cars on the streets of london to cause pollution. Boris hasn't got a notion does he i'll tell you one thing the irish government better not copy him and bring it in for Dublin

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club