Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Issue... Unusual!

ZetecShearer1987

Hi

I am having a issue with my focus and when it starts sometimes when cold

Most times my car starts first time but i will say 2 in 10 times i turn the engine over it struggles to start and i have to press the accelerator to fire it up.

My car had a new yuasa battery recently as the old battery did the same thing when starting sometimes.

Its like it can't fire up by itself, and odd times when i start the car, it starts straight to idle line around 750rpm, if i can explain this better... right when a car normally starts it revs up to around 1500rpm and then drops down to the idle level, but mine doesn't always do that, it turns over and doesn't rev, i also notice i have to rev the car a bit to get the car normal again. as the accelerator pedal doesn't feel responsive and after a few revs its feels normal again.

I have cleaned the throttle body and its made a slight difference but nothing significant. The car is well maintained so has new air filter, fresh oil and filter. iridium plugs.

Could it be something to do with the accelerator pedal or something along those lines, also when it struggles to start i get quite a strong smell of petrol, could it be over fuelling.

Or could it be related to the coil and stuff. even though i have changed all that already

Anyone got any ideas.

When my MK2 was on the road it did this, never could get to the bottom of it. Totally random, warm, cold, after a drive, after been sitting a few days. There was no pattern to it, car had new Bosch battery with loads of cranking amps. Coil pack was never changed on mine, could well be the issue?

HHmmmm, maybe, but I'm not gonna change the coil pack again, might try some original spark plugs again, i have been using ngk iridiums for a while. That might change the situation. Can pick up 4 for less than a tenner

My focus does this occasionally. If you ever get to the bottom of it please let me know.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

How much does a throttle position sensor cost and can a garage check to see if it's faulty

Sent from my HTC One using Ford OC mobile app

Have you got access to a diagnostic tool with live data?

I've got the torque app for android with a bluetooth ibd2.woukd that sjoe me anything

Mine also does this. Mk2.5. It seems to happen. Ore with Shell fuel but not 100% sure that is the cause.

Very strange but it doesn't affect the car in anyway just a bit annoying sometime. My car has been done for the last, 3 weeks.

I had a theory the mk1 used to do this and i put a theory in place with the aid of a ford mechanic who was stumped also

The ecu stores all the data when the cars off now you pull up at night lets say its 16 degrees outside all the data is stored you go out in the morning its now 6 degrees but the stored info briefly thinks its 16 degrees less auto choke is required at that temp if any at all so the car struggles till it realises the data does not match the current conditions and adjusts and the car starts the ford guy reckoned that would fit hence no other issues

ive too had this issue on my mk2, again as said before there being no regular pattern or symptoms, however i started following the diesel route and turning the key to ignition wait for the fuel pump to prime etc and the dash to display and then do the final turn to start the car

although i cant say this completely irradiated the issue it has somewhat reduced it

also you can hear the butterfly valve on the inlet open and close once the engine has been switched off, and going on what Arthur posted before it could be that the inlet valve doesn't open quick enough (if started normal) to allow the air in and start the engine

Mine don't this. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor. Works fine till this day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ford OC mobile app

Mine did the starting issues. Fixed it with the coolant temperature sensor.

Where is the coolant temperature sensor located on a mk2.5 focus 1.6 petrol, also how much to get done and is it a diy jobbie or a garage job

On my 1.6 petrol it was located on the right side of the engine. Easy to get to be you have to swap them over quick or you lose loads of coolant. Dit job really takes about 20 mins. Parts less the 20 from dealer.

Thanks naz, will probably look at getting this done.

I think this could solve some issues, and if its a cheap fix then even better

I too changed the coolant temp sensor may have given naz the idea iirc which seemed to fix it but only recently it started again less frequently than before maybe its the cheap sensor from eurocarparts had failed again noticed it more when the cars been used and then left for a few hours

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app

Yh it was you that gave me the idea. Lol. I just genuine had it for a while no issues.

Do you know the exact part I need as a lot of results pop up for these coolant sensors. Prefer original ford parts.