Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 TDCi '55' trouble with consumables

JasonQ

I've owned my 55 plate 1.8TDCi (DuraTorq) Estate for a few weeks now and have had a few problems sourcing consumables.

I started out asking for an oil filter from my local motor factors (a large head branch) - I gave them the registration of the car and I got an oil filter - but this oil filter wasn't the right size - it was approximately 1/2" larger diameter than the one on the car (same length).

So I took it back and after a bit of digging the (very helpful) chap behind the counter found a couple of filter books (rather than their computer), in both these books the same filter as the computer was quoted for the 1.8TDCi (i.e. the wrong size for mine) but one listed an alternate - this turned out to be the correct size filter.

I then got around to the air filter - happened to be passing Halfords (rarely use them but was convenient on this day) - used their flip page book on the shelf which listed two 1.8TDCi (if I recall correctly they were 2000 to 2005 and 2001 to 2005) but both listed as same air filter so picked it off the shelf - this turned out to be too small.

Took it back and the guy in Halfords types my reg into their computer and said "Not one listed for that car". So got my money back and went back to the motor factors gave them the registration and they returned (first time) with the correct size.

So now I'm a bit concerned for the future and sourcing more major parts - timing belts etc. Is this something others have found on the 1.8TDCi's on a 55 plate? Is it a bit of a parts mongrel or have just ended up with a bit of bad luck?

Jason

Any problems i have had with my focus, i just take it down my local ford dealer, and they will get you any part you want, maybe a little more expensive but aleast its compatible

Any problems i have had with my focus, i just take it down my local ford dealer, and they will get you any part you want, maybe a little more expensive but aleast its compatible

Fair comment, but for me the dealer nearest is a lot less convenient to get to and they're not open in the evenings (after 6pm) - when I did use them for an air-con pipe and the bonnet release catch and key lock the price was very reasonable - its just being able to get there, order stuff and then get back to pick it up - usually a few days later (obviously not the consumables).

And I'm still left wondering if a 1.8TDCi in a 55 body Shell is different from other 1.8TDCi :)

Jason.