Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Backlash (clonking) while changing gear at low speed

bgood

I have a Fusion 1400 TDCI Diesal 2007, mileage 21k.

While accelerating from stationary, each time I change gear particularly from 1st to 2nd & 3rd gear, there is a clonking from the transmission. Doesn't occur when decelerating. Suspected backlash maybe in driveshaft. Garage is unable to diagnose but acknowledge the problem (its not engine mounting problems).

Any suggestions? Thank you.

While accelerating from stationary, each time I change gear particularly from 1st to 2nd & 3rd gear, there is a clonking from the transmission. Doesn't occur when decelerating. Suspected backlash maybe in driveshaft. Garage is unable to diagnose but acknowledge the problem (its not engine mounting problems).

have you checked your gearbox mounts yet this could be the problem

Thanks for your reply. Gearbox mounts have been checked by ford main dealer and are ok. I believe there could be movement in the spline in the driveshaft. When I dont use the clutch and accelerate there is no noise. My other thought is theres somethimg wrong with the clutch. But ford say everything is ok.

could it be diff backlash...?

When you get to the bottom of it could you post here please...

I also have this problem on my 1.4tdci 57, had car nearly a year but this clonk doesn't seem to get any worse. Guess it might be inherent in the build. I drove a Fiesta petrol model recently with less mileage than mine, the gearbox change was a lot sloppier than mine, so maybe this is just tightness and may get better. As I say, it has not got any worse in the 12 months I have had my car.