Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Sts Are Quick But......

wisecracker

Hi guys...

As I have posted before I have a 2013 Fiesta S 1.0L 3 cylider jobby, well........

I was in front of an new ST yesterday, (Saturday August 2nd 2014), and in a 40 limit. We were at traffic lights and when changed I pulled away normally.

Remember the 40 limit and dual carraige-way...

Well said ST was right up my a**e so I decided to toe it in second.

Got to 60 and realised so shut off at that point to my sirprise the ST could not gain on me.

As soon as I shut off he shot by me on the inside and boy was it quick in third.

However I have done some research and found that my 2nd leg had so much in its favour

that I didn't need to change up.

The specs show, (might be US ones), that the STs 2nd gear only goes to 58 MPH requiring an upshift to third. Even my old ST could do 62 in 2nd.

As an addendum my summer, nearly all urban, MPG is now 43.6 MPG.

Be interesting to see the STs real long term urban consumption figures.

Having said all that the Fiesta ST is still a beautiful and *&*^%*& quick car...

Good one Ford...

Some cars (eg "warm" hatchbacks) had the gearing set so that they could reach 62mph (100kph) in 2nd gear, this is so the 0-62mph figure was quicker so the car looked quicker than it really was - "on paper" means exactly that, and in the "real world" it is meaningless, and in reality it makes very little difference whether you have to change up at 58mph or 62 because by the time you reach 60, the ST is already going (probably a lot) faster (everything else being equal)

A Fiesta ST is much quicker at all speeds than a 1.0L ecoboost Fiesta, even a tuned/ remapped 1.0L is not quite as quick as a stock ST

It may seem that your car is quicker momenteraly, if you get the drop on the ST, but it is unlikely you can keep it behind you for long

So basically you booted it a bit in second, the ST didn't accelerate until at least a second or two after you and it shot by when you let off?

i had an R1 up my !Removed! so took off in second, I let off and the bike went flying by. My ST is quicker in second than an R1... But wait, the R1 does over 100ph in second so he should have had the legs on me... see where this is going/

Just winding you up mate.

Sorry but we have a 1l ecoboost in our family and there isn't a comparison between it and the ST. The 1L is like an old school turbo, lots of lag and a swell of boost but doesn't like it much past 4500rpm (quite fun for a 1 litre), whereas the st is linear and smooth from 2500rpm to over 6000rpm.

I am aware of how quick the new ST is as my old ST was quick(ish) if you consider 7.9 to 62 as quick.

I have even stated on here that it did not seem to be that quick in reality as I have owned much quicker cars.

But I was just surprised that it didn't catch me until I shut off. Had we kept on going and speed limits allowed it would have romped all over the S but hey 70 MPH is the legal limit on open dual carriageways and motorways and with almost similar

handling on UK country roads would not have that much of an edge. Third is so wide on the S that I have no need to go up

to fourth whilst having fun, second and third will do me just fine, thank you... ;o)

The 1.0L S is substantially slower than the ST to 62 in theory but two shifts to my one would

probably have given me at least 1 to 2 tenths advantage because it still keeps going until around 65 on the clock

(allow 3 MPH fast for the clock).

I nearly had an ST but loved the growl of the 1.0L so much it swayed me and it is certainly fast enough even if it is not quick.

Hi neil1jur...

> Just winding you up mate.

Ha ha, don't get me wrong though I did nearly have an ST but at 64 years old I don't really need around 160 BHP at the road surface any more...

I will be doing a _chip_change_ as an XMAS prezzy from the family though and it should come close to my old ST, changing from sub 10s to sub 9s or maybe even sub 8s to 62, which will please me no end if it works...

Sorry mate but I struggled to make much sense of that.

In regard to gearing I am surprised you like the longer gearing, I find the 1 litre tends to labour too much after the initial kick of torque, thus IMO rendering the longer gearing obsolete. In theory the zetec S should have shorter gearing due to the lack of power/torque in comparison with an ST.

An Evo IX FQ300 has very shortt gearing for the power, a Cayman S has very long gearing for the power, same 300bhp cars but irrelevant of how much longer you can stay in a gear the evo will be quicker in nearly every test of 30-50mph, etc in any gear because it will always be closer to the optimum power band in comparison to the Cayman.

I find shorter gearing a lot more fun on UK roads, longer gearing is better for cars with a lot of power on a track.

Cheers

Well it is geared primarily for economy, and I have posted real figures on here as to what I am getiing or have gotten - see below.

Yes I do like the long legs now and as some have quoted on here "third is a ton of fun".

It runs out of steam at 104 on my clock, (agian allow at least 4 MPH fast), giving a __real__ speed of around 100 MPH.

Second runs out of steam at around 65 on my clock.

On country roads like in Norfolk the S would not let itself down when the opponent, whether an ST owner or not, realised that it was up against 998 cc and only 3 pots. To me this is awsome.

Remember the S is sold as an economic car with a loose approximate handling characteristic of its ST senior.

In case you have not seen my consumption figures here they are if you are interested:-

Urban Winter: 41.3 MPG.

Current Urban Summer: 43.6 MPG.

Combined Average ove 200 miles round trip: 54.7 MPG.

One off US style highway from M1 J23 to QE Bridge M25, average 54 to 60 MPH: 67.9 MPG.

One off 20 odd minute thrash around Norfolk: 49.1 MPG.

It would be interesting to see these figures for the ST.

At 64 I still get some fun along with great economy to boot.

As no one has tested the ST against the 3 banger S on real country roads then one can only speculate but the S would not be an embarrasment.

I have owned the previous ST for 6 years from new and my current one certainly handles better, long lesg or not.

Well it is geared primarily for economy, and I have posted real figures on here as to what I am getiing or have gotten - see below.

Yes I do like the long legs now and as some have quoted on here "third is a ton of fun".

It runs out of steam at 104 on my clock, (agian allow at least 4 MPH fast), giving a __real__ speed of around 100 MPH.

Second runs out of steam at around 65 on my clock.

On country roads like in Norfolk the S would not let itself down when the opponent, whether an ST owner or not, realised that it was up against 998 cc and only 3 pots. To me this is awsome.

Remember the S is sold as an economic car with a loose approximate handling characteristic of its ST senior.

In case you have not seen my consumption figures here they are if you are interested:-

Urban Winter: 41.3 MPG.

Current Urban Summer: 43.6 MPG.

Combined Average ove 200 miles round trip: 54.7 MPG.

One off US style highway from M1 J23 to QE Bridge M25, average 54 to 60 MPH: 67.9 MPG.

One off 20 odd minute thrash around Norfolk: 49.1 MPG.

It would be interesting to see these figures for the ST.

At 64 I still get some fun along with great economy to boot.

As no one has tested the ST against the 3 banger S on real country roads then one can only speculate but the S would not be an embarrasment.

I have owned the previous ST for 6 years from new and my current one certainly handles better, long lesg or not.

Each to their own I guess... Having driven both cars a fair bit I still see no dynamic comparison between the 1L 3cyl and the ST, they are honestly like night and day.

We have a 3cyl in the family and I am impressed for what it is, but out on a B or A road the ST utterly anihilates it. Honestly mate don't kid yourself. I can even go to the trouble of using my Gopro and filming the two out on the road but the video would be too short and not worth the effort.

I have no idea why the topic has changed to mpg, but FYI:

The ST can easy do 45mpg any day driving normally, my average is 33mpg. I have no idea what it will do 'on a run', as some put it, becuase there aren't any motorways where I live and frankly I couldn't care less about mpg, all new hatch backs in this day and age regardless if petrol or diesel do brilliant in regars to their performance compared with say 10 years ago.

The topic of mpg really bores me. You drive your car in what ever manner you do personally and you get what you get, I really don't get this mpg war, I get 50mpg brim to brim, TRIPE.

Cheers

Righto, off air now and back to coding...

CYA...

I'm not one to take sides personally. But you can't really compare either cars, they're built for different things realistically.

The Zetec S has an economy engine will a small punch and makes a thrill to drive. I first intially bought my Zetec S for economy driving, cheap to run and still and joy the drive. Which, is exactly what the cars does and has brilliant handling in comparison to many other manufactors which Ford aim to compete with.. i.e; Vauxhall. I've always found myself comparing the Fiesta to the Corsa, and no matter which spec you have your fiesta and in comparison to the same model of Corsa the Fiesta always wins. The ZS I had became a thrill of fun when I got in mapped by Bluefin. Having 150bhp in a 1 litre was such a joys and the car pulled so extremely well and I still had the benefits of the economy driving.

Whereas the ST is a 'hot hatch', where a ZS is not. Therefore with a bigger engine and higher figures which the car outputs you expect the ST to be faster which it is. The only reason I upgraded to the ST was because I moved work places and no longer had to worry about fuel expenses as such, now it's mainly used at the weekends.

This topically is as relevant as the one I saw a couple of days ago where people were comparing Ford to other manufactors such as Mercedes and BMW. It is not Ford's main competitors. You can still do the same with certain spec's of a car. You do not compare a Zetec to a Zetec S, or ST. You compare similar spec cars with manufactors. Such as the Zetec S with a Corsa SRi, an ST compared to a VXR. Or what ever other car companies you'd like to compare to.

I once passed a parked ST with ease..............

I once passed a parked ST with ease..............

I did the same, and in reverse. Left it standing, I did.

Well in that case I had a DB9 earlier today :rolleyes:

I flew by a Maserati the other day in my 1.6 TDCI!!!! (it was stopped though hahahahahaha)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club