Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Police Wasting £100,000 A Year In Fuel!

jeebowhite

So I popped over the cafe today, and in the famous paper which contains the infamous page 3, I found an article which was an interesting read.

I believe this is specific to London, but if you consider the figures of other forces running it across the country...

So basically the police (specifically the MET it would seem) use "runlock", keeping the engine ticking over all day and night in order to maintain the computer and systems alive. However, I must admit, I am not fond of this. Wasting £100,000 alone is clearly a bad thing, but the engines in use on the BMW X5's run through 1.5 litres of diesel an hour. The environment is suffering and clearly this is something that should be considered?

The reason the police use this is because it keeps the systems alive, controlling sirens and the OBC, which I agree need to be accessible at all times, but I think the cost is really something that needs to be considered.

Why should the car be locked up overnight, not in use and with the engine running? Surely it makes more sense to power the car off altogether, computer and all, then, when your due on shift, someone goes around, starts the motors and lets them boot up whilst you suit up? Also, the cars have beefed up batteries and alternators, surely there should be a way to have the computer systems running off a seperate chargeable battery when the car is off altogether, so you can leave the car, still running the electrics but without discharging the battery and without the cost of the environment? all you need to do is setup the second battery to be subcharged from the alternator, then using the likes of the stop and go technology, when the battery level is A-OK, keep the other batteries getting juice, then when the battery level drops too much then initiate the runlock, auto starting the engine, charging the batteries, and when they are back to 100% each, shutdown the car and repeat the cycle? surely this has to be a better answer?

All in, the computer stays on, the car stays ready for action, and all it takes is about 3 seconds for the key to go in, start the car drop in gear and hit the gas if the car is needed somewhere...

• Like 2

The fact it is in the Sun, a disgrace to call that a newspaper in the first place, I would take the accuracy of the story with a pinch of salt.

However maybe clive can shed some light as to what his force does or does not do.

Top Quality sun reporting here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/the-suns-mark-of-the-devil-front-page-what-is-the-need-for-such-a-silly-season-story-while-the-world-watches-the-horror-in-gaza-9635628.html

With all that is going on in the world today.

• Like 1

haha, that is true Ben.

The thing is, I know that the police need certain kit on and available, I just wonder if RunLock can in essence be seen as a secondary option, surely there has to be a better first answer that then calls on the second answer when its needed!

I recon Clive's side will probably also have the same running, but I just have to wonder if there is a much better answer out there that is better for the taxes and envrionment?

Whilst I dont trust the Sun's figures, I must admit, I have read / heard / seen first hand the number of circumstances this occurs, and it just got me thinking about how like anything in life, surely it can be updated!

• Like 1

The Sun is talking total tosh.

Most cars with extra tech on board have beefed up batteries/electrics and also the tech has low power modes so they can sit in stand-by mode for hours without needing the engine running.

My car has a secondary back-up battery to maintain the rear compartment climate control if need be for dog safety.

Often on scene we just pop open the hatch so the carriers have a decent airflow.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

Many Police cars are fitted with a runlock system but rarely used except in situations where a high electrical output is required while unoccupied (at rtc's for lights etc).

• Like 1

'To punish and enslave' ;)

You'll have everyone thinking I'm a heartless monster :d

• Like 1

'To punish and enslave' ;)

You'll have everyone thinking I'm a heartless monster :d

Clive if it means anything you're telling only copper I like.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

Its not limited to police cars - ambulances have this feature too.

Its used to either maintain safety (at an accident scene, lights on) or to ensure patient comfort. The air con (and some cases the heaters) do not work in the back without the engine running - the batteries would be drained in minutes. Otherwise they are able to be kept "alive" or charged by mains power. It also keeps all the equipment charged and ready to go.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I have only used run lock probably three times since I even joined the force... It's handy for lighting up RTC's that's about it.

Agreed, It certainly isn't for leaving the cars parked up all night.

The Sun always talks crap about Police etc.

They certainly don't believe in letting truth get in the way of a story.

Just wanted to jump in to this as I've often walked past open fire station doors and had a sneak in.. The Fire Engine is sitting there all clean, doors open, and plugged into a wall.. I assume they have less computery kit than a typical Police car, but I'm lead to believe the plug is also powering a heater to keep the engine 'warmish' (may or may not be bs)...

On a far more basic level, at the lifeboat station I used to be at, our rib was always plugged into the mains. It was only to keep the batteries full, but I'm sure plugging vehicles in, isn't just limited to the RNLI and the Fire brigade...

Love the dog handling wagons, they look brilliant! Also love all the pooch friendly kit on board - side estate windows with little vents, air con unit :D brilliant!

Our Traffic bikes are often connected to trickle chargers when parked up off duty as the batteries really take a hammering from the extra electrical gear fitted to them.

Not had any power problems on any of my vehicles, loads of miles plus robust maintenance keeps them happy.

We need to be able to turn the key and get shifting without concerns about duff electrics.

Saying that though, most of our area cars are now Astras and they have had problems with failing electrics and other niggles.

Saying that though, most of our area cars are now Astras and they have had problems with failing electrics and other niggles.

Ouch! What's gonna happen when you get allocated an Astra van for the dog?

Ouch! What's gonna happen when you get allocated an Astra van for the dog?

Change of career me thinks. LOL :D

Mid life crisis and mental break down, loss of hair and belly growth lol just like all the other bobbies driving an astra

• Like 2

Not sure whether I'd feel more sorry for Clive or the dog... :blink:

The shape of an Astra boot is not suitable for double dog carriers so Forces will still be using the Focus (thankfully) :)

Actually it's quite funny, in Jersey (where I'm at, at the moment) there is an unmarked skoda estate used by the dog unit, it's possibly the most obvious vehicle out there though - vents, a.c etc :D .

..then again, if it's coming for you, by the time you see it, it's far too late :lol: Don't fancy Alsation teeth marks on my rear!

The shape of an Astra boot is not suitable for double dog carriers so Forces will still be using the Focus (thankfully) :)

My force are using Skoda Octavia's to ferry around the hounds, also use a couple for ARV's - I must admit they do move pretty quick when the right foot hits the gas! I don't think I could cope if we got handed a Focus.

• Like 1

Didn't vauxhall do away with the astra van all together and replaced it with the insignia estate? The company I work for uses insignia cars as standard for managers, saloon and estate while I must admit the cargo space with seats folded down for both estate and saloon is very impressive one of my managers traveled 100 miles with a kitchen work top for me to do on an emergency thing for a builders show home.

But i totally agree with Clive the shape of the boot opening could even hurt a dog it's so awkward how the taillights attach to the boot lid with sharpish edges and massive gas dampers

haha love Clives story!

The sad thing is I came across a police forum where there was admission from officers, and also public that some cars went out there for a burglary (post event of course) and left lights and runlock on for no reason. Somewhere on the tinterweb, I also came across an admission that police have left the engine running overnight. I suspect that the sun came across this and assumed that it was the case for everyone as they always do!

I just think that things like Clives backup battery are the way to go, and whilst we all know the sun blows everything out of proportion, I always think there is a better way to do things. Perhaps there should be an ultra use battery developed. One which has the power of say many batteries, that can be installed on all emergency vehicles. Meaning that the power is always there!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club