Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling Noise On The Inside Of The Driver Side B Panel

Lunatico

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone here would be able to guide me through this.

I recently bought a C-Max 2.0 TDCI 2009. The car is in great shape and I'm very happy with it. It does however have this minor noise issue. I am very picky when it comes to noises inside my car!

This particular one is on the B panel on the driver's side, so literally right next to my ear! It's not just that it's annoying but it distracts me and that's never a good thing when driving. I've already tried to identify where it comes from by removing the door seals which gives some access to it but no joy there.

This picture is where I hear the noise coming from, and those plastic covers is what I'd like to be able to remove.

IMG_20140806_210350.jpg

So I'm thinking I might need to remove the inner plastic covers on that panel. I'm just afraid to break something! Can someone tell me if it's possible to remove these, if it's easy and how to do it?

Thanks very much!

I have the same rattle literally by my ear so I feel your pain mate

Focus C-Max 2004 1.6 TDCI Zetec

Have you tried to fix it? I reckon it's got to be an easy fix. I'd just like someone to guide me on how to remove those plastic covers. I don't want to break them, or mess up something else.

Also, I just realized I meant to write B Pillar and not B Panel in the subject. I don't think I can edit that now.

I found this on another forum. I wonder, could this be it?

believe i got the same thing going on on my CMAX, best thing i can describe it being is like somebody has dropped a penny in the behind the B Pillar that rattle about when cornering

and this is on a 2011 plate, would of liked to think they would of sorted this out

Those links won't stay open. But give it ago and see if it cures the problem

Focus C-Max 2004 1.6 TDCI Zetec

So I took the plastic panel off, investigated each piece thoroughly and made sure nothing was loose. I inserted rubber where possible and blue tack in areas where the plastic meats the metal. The noise is still there!!! At this point I'm convinced that it is a structural problem, somehow inside the metal sheets, there must be a loose one or something. In fact, I discovered that when I push the B panel from the outside (with the doors open) I can hear the exact noise that's driving me crazy.

It is very frustrating, the car is really great and I heat this noise. It's not even a loud noise, but it's annoying. Anyway, after that rant I do feel better! (not really) I'll just have to get used to the noise and turn the volume up whenever possible.

I could take it to a garage and they'd probably need to do some bodywork to get it fixed, it'll probably be very expensive too. So I'll take it in a positive way and see this as a Godsend way of building up my patience.

My patience wasn't enough, I gave it another go today and I finally fixed it!!!

There's actually no need to remove the plastic trims. Just removed both front and rear weatherstrips, then used a plastic tool to wedge into the metal sheets, not too much, just enough to crack it open. I used the plastic side of the wheel brace, I also used my swiss-army knife's screw driver which is pretty flat and worked well. Did this from the top corner working my way down to the bottom corner, did it on the front and rear sides. There's actually a middle metal sheet that's a bit wider and than two thinner ones on each side. You need to crack it between each weld point. I then sprayed all the gaps with WD-40 to avoid them from sticking again.

I did pretty much what's mentioned on this forum, I just couldn't figure it out the first time around as when you look at this area it nearly looks as a single piece and thought that probably and older model must had that gap that my car didn't. But it actually did, you just have to look real close.

It was actually a simple and quick fix!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club