Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Starting Issue

sparkymark75

My wife's 2007 2.0 TDCi has an intermittent starting issue. Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is cold or hot.

It will turn over and catch but then immediately cut out. It will do this quite a few times and then eventually fire up. It seems to run fine once it's running and never cuts out when running or idling.

From research I've done, it could be a sticking air intake valve and the vibration of trying to start it free's it up again. Does that sound like a plausible diagnosis? Or could it be the EGR needing cleaned?

Hi Mark

Had exactly the same fault as you but mine was on the 1.8 tdci.

My local garage put a fault code reader on it and it threw up p0087 (low fuel pressure)

It turned out to be a degrading fuel filter in my case, it was changed and starts perfect again.

I found I could get over the starting issue ( until I got it fixed) by switching the ignition on so dash lights on only, wait 5 seconds, then switch back off, repeat this 3 times then try to start as normal,it worked for me.

Hope this helps mate

Thanks for the post. My fuel filter was changed last October as I did read that it could cause issues if it was playing up.