Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ac Recharge...

SeanW

So, I've just been to Kwik-fit for an AC Check + recharge. I have a leak apparently...

Lass tried telling that it's got to be the compressor, because she couldn't hear it kicking in as she drove it back round the front.

Well, no love, you won't. You're colleague has just completely drained the system - no, it shouldn't still kick in - the ECU won't let it engage to protect it. No gas means no oil, so it won't kick in. Oh, that's kind, you can get a "Master Technician" in to have a look for me? Only £35? Nahh, I'll leave it thanks.

I may very have had a small leak that was exacerbated by the pressure changes in draining and testing the system. But I don't appreciate young technicians trying to blag their way through an excuse (bugger...I feel old now - she was no older than 21, I'm only 26 lol)

Now to find a UV torch before I try elsewhere

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Now to find a UV torch before I try elsewhere

cheapest option is probably purchase a UV bulb from one of those insence burning shops that also sell lots of Gothic items and dream catchers,

Then borrow a bed side lamp from the house along with extension cable and wait for night to arrive,

Yep, dosey scrotes couldn't adjust a track rod end earlier in the week for me...

• Like 1

Kwik fit.. Enough said Sean

They're close and could fit me in lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

cheapest option is probably purchase a UV bulb from one of those insence burning shops that also sell lots of Gothic items and dream catchers,

Then borrow a bed side lamp from the house along with extension cable and wait for night to arrive,

I picked up a little UV keyring torch, should be bright enough to see tonight.

We haven't got any of those odd little shops anymore lol

• Like 1

I picked up a little UV keyring torch, should be bright enough to see tonight.

We haven't got any of those odd little shops anymore lol

sounds good,

Not as many around here anymore neither just spotted one here in the town selling vampire toilet roll holder and everything lmao

Stink of burning insence from a 10 metre radius, ive never set foot inside the place though, just passed it the other day on the way to wedding cake shop for a cake topper,

Where i saw a wedding topper consisting of two male grooms holding each others hands and kissing,

I almost puked on the cake in the shop lol

however i wanted vick to buy the one that had two brides kissing,

For our cake :lol:

the pop rivets down the left hand side (front facing) are prone to corrode and cause leaking, (on the mk2.5 anyway)

i had mine replaced with an aftermarket rad which had welded mounts on instead of the pop rivet mounts

• Like 2

No mater where you go the process is the same plug the machine in and it does its thing, I do it at work.

The condenser is the most common problem stones walloping it puncturing it, just remember to replace the O-rings when if you change any parts.

plenty of good mobile ac guys about

The kwik fit people do an ac handling/operation coarse just so they know how to use the machine, the same machine the majority of garages use .

Jesus if your car had taken the charge and still not worked THEN she could have said "it might be your compressor"...NUMPTIES.

Like you have said no gas no worky maybe she needs to go back to school :iim::driving: :driving:

• Like 1

It was working, just not particularly well (as in I could hear the it clutching in and it got coolish - well, cooler than blower only), which led me to believe it was just age-related wastage.

I was fairly sure it was a case of plug it into a machine and push a few buttons. Didn't think that would have been too difficult...guess I was wrong lol

Got out this evening with my little £4.99 Maplin Special (which now won't turn off lol) and can't see any signs of any fluorescent dyes anywhere (other than a few drops of rainwater which glows slightly...looks kinda eerie lol).

Also, don't check your oil at night with a UV torch - it looks emulsified lol

• Like 1

I would say if it was partially working before then try another garage as maybe the gas they were "supposed" to have in their machine was empty !!!! did they give you a print out ? it should say how much oil recovered, how much the system was filled by but more importantly either LEAK DETECTED or NO LEAK DETECTED :D :driving:

• Like 1

the pop rivets down the left hand side (front facing) are prone to corrode and cause leaking, (on the mk2.5 anyway)

i had mine replaced with an aftermarket rad which had welded mounts on instead of the pop rivet mounts

This happened to me earlier this year, it was working just not cold cold so had it re-gassed. This only lasted 2 weeks so the ac guy came back and checked everything over incl the compressor and deduced that it was the ac rad.

I changed it myself to save cash, tricky job but do-able and it was the rad as only when you get the rad out you can see the leaks and I had about 4 in total and all on the edges and round by the rivets.....replaced it with an aftermarket one and all's good

• Like 2

I would say if it was partially working before then try another garage as maybe the gas they were "supposed" to have in their machine was empty !!!! did they give you a print out ? it should say how much oil recovered, how much the system was filled by but more importantly either LEAK DETECTED or NO LEAK DETECTED :D :driving:

No, they didn't give me a printout - never gave it a thought lol

This happened to me earlier this year, it was working just not cold cold so had it re-gassed. This only lasted 2 weeks so the ac guy came back and checked everything over incl the compressor and deduced that it was the ac rad.

I changed it myself to save cash, tricky job but do-able and it was the rad as only when you get the rad out you can see the leaks and I had about 4 in total and all on the edges and round by the rivets.....replaced it with an aftermarket one and all's good

Got a link? Just incase lol

• Like 1

That's not a bad price!! I was expecting twice that lol

Thanks bud

• Like 1

If I remember rightly the Ford OEM one was about £130!!

• Like 2

If I remember rightly the Ford OEM one was about £130!!

Yeouch!!

I'm going to find somewhere on Monday - my usual back street geezer (straight as they come but doesn't look or sound it lol) doesn't do it...might have to ask where he sends his customers.

On the plus side, the job doesn't look stupidly difficult to do if it is that!!

• Like 1

Not the easiest of jobs:

Jack the car up on 2 axle stands, Both under trays off, headlight unit out, trim above radiator off, remove Intercooler, drop radiator bracket and drop radiator out supported by axle stand and jack, detach Condenser and remove it, now fit all back together and re-gas.

Total job time 6hrs. My costs £53 for the Condenser + £50 for the vacuum and re-gas totalling £103, cheapest quote was £290 so we'll pleased. I had the old condenser out when the guy came to re-gas it and straight away spotted 4 leak areas so that's pleasing to hear

aa50a9197280c5e6533e3bf3e12ddce0_zps7ac8

eeb71d16c70b50d57d1af3f79669ede6_zpsf7ca

• Like 2

That'll keep me quiet for a while then lol

Part of me kinda wants to have a bash. But as I have an extended warranty on the car, might call them up and see what they say

• Like 2

As I suspected, Kwik-Fit were speaking out their !Removed!.

Popped into a local garage after seeing that they did AC Work on the off chance they could squeeze me in.

Result?

All absolutely fine, held a vacuum and no evidence of the dye anywhere. Filled 'er up and it's taken - been asked to check it works everyday for a week, and to pop back in just to make sure. They're also going to see if they can find the coolant leak I didn't realise I had :-(

(Only small, but the mechanic noticed the whiff of coolant when he popped the bonnet and the level has definitely dropped)

Anywhoo... £54 later and I need a coat on in the car :D

• Like 1

To be expected to be honest the volume of cars that they do, who knows when they check how much refrigerant they have , Glad you got it sorted :D :driving:

• Like 1

When I had mine done the amount of oil/dye that they put in is really minimal and is difficult to see especially if it's the air con rad as it's soo tucked away, if it stops working after 2 weeks it's likely to be the rad…good luck and hope it all holds.

Kwik-Sh...fit couldn't even get it take any gas at all

Although, I manage to get them to crack my nuts and torque them up properly rather than windy gun to the max, so it wasn't a total loss lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club