Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken Wing Mirror On My St

Peterjones

Yes some clown has hit my wing mirror on the road, smashed it it pieces and typically driven off.

Now I should be thankful they didn't hit the side of my car but I now have a broken wing mirror. I have some of the bits but not all of them and the clips are broken.

Does anyone know roughly what Ford charge to fix this?

Also the internals still appear to be find so can I just buy the outer casing and a new mirror and indicator unit?

All help would be great.

Pictures in Links Below;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0VJuruLG_clU2tpcDZFWmxCVHY0eVdaR0l0RHRnZE9lSnA0/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0VJuruLG_clcGRxNjE3R043TzBhdkVWQ0RKSk9iN0lOQTM4/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0VJuruLG_clRVlUcFM0bjM4REVIczJ6NjE1bTNvb3lpcWNv/edit?usp=sharing

I've bought the clear lense indicator unit and outer painted cap seperate for around £50. Easy to fit and replace yourself :) if you go to ford parts department they'll order them up for you.

• Like 1

Also the mirror is only around £12 on eBay but might not be expensive from ford either to get them all together. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Oh thanks - so can you buy all the parts separate or does it have to be a whole new mirror? Looking on ford parts direct they are quite expensive. The fold part still works fine and well I am sure I could spray / touch up the blue paint on the top of the cover myself.

Next question is how do I get to the wing mirror to take it off as those base clips are broken.

Yes that is the correct full mirror, you could salvage the mirror glass, indicator lense unit etc from that if your happy to touch up the painted cap yourself :) otherwise yes ford sell them all individually including a new painted cap.

Well if that is the correct mirror then it would make sense to buy a whole new one and then get ford to sell me a new blue cap - as I cant see the parts I need from Ford being cheaper than that?

Any idea how I get to the mirror and how easy of job it is to do?

But you said your wing mirror unit assembly is okay ? If not then yes buying that will be cheaper. The painted cap is around £40 from ford on it's own. The clear lense around £10-£15 on it's own then the mirrored glass around £10-15.

The mirror just pops on, the wing mirror unit itself is bolted on and requires removing the trim inside the car to get to it.

Make sure it's not an electric wing unit, otherwise that linked one wouldn't powerfold.

Here's a breakdown for you....

post-44466-0-02194900-1407506016_thumb.j

Here's a breakdown for you....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks. Yes it is a power folding unit. The problem is the casing is broken on the base of the mirror, now does all that strip down or is it one solid unit?

Im thinking if I was to buy that mirror, which im assuming isnt powerfold, can I just strip the old unit down, replace the plastic housing and rebuild again or is this way more complex than what my mind is thinking?

As In the picture the housing is a compete unit I'm afraid, would be harder than you think to start stripping and making a non powerfold a powerfold.

Best bet would be to purchase a powerfold second hand and then get new cap,indicator lense and mirrored glass and it'd look like new :)

OK now embarking on a bit of DIY first to see if I can limit the damage in the short term. Just glued some of the clip holders back in place.

Need a new mirror and indicator unit for sure, however the scratches have actually polished out the cover so if it goes back together I could have done a good salvage job.

That's good to hear, be a cheaper fix then at around £25 for the mirror and lense parts

• Like 1

It's okay :) here to help

Yes both of them are the correct parts you need

• Like 1

Was you driving at the time or someone hit them whilst closed?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Nope driving along on my side the road, round the corner comes some red vauxhall corsa over on my side the road. I swerve but bang and in my lap lands the mirror.

Stopped but they just carried on. No attempt to stop at all. Not sure how damaged their car is as just glass was on the road.

Had to be a corsa

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Wish I had got the reg but in all fairness it just happened so quickly. I think the first reaction is shock, then annoyed it has happened to a 3 week old car and well then I just thought I would come and seek the skills on here and try and come up with a solution. Think my fix has worked as it looks ok again ...well other than the glass missing from the indicator repeater, indicator bulb and cracked mirror.

With a little help from the post service they should arrive early next week from eBay.

The DIY repair is done and back to new - £25 total cost of mirror, indicator cover and bulb - and a little bit of time fiddling gluing the broken clip on the casing back down.

Good job. The wing mirror will probably have some other incident at some point in the future. Happened to my dads ccar when it was a month old. Needed a new mirror which was heated, folding and had a puddle lamp in it and some paint on the side of the car! Its had 3 in total over 11 years. So a little bodge won't hurt. ;)