James West Mids

Hi guys,

I find the standard 'greyish' colour quite bland so I did this:

Before:

DSC_0320_zps821436b4.jpg

After:

DSC_0323_zps5b4cf933.jpg

:D

Now to do the lower grille once the weather picks up again.

• Like 1

nice work its got a new lease of life not looking tired at all. :D :driving:

• Like 2

Nice one B)

Makes a big difference putting some black over the grey coloured grilles, my mate did a cracking job with mine after we'd faffed about till we'd found the shade of satin black I was happy with.

Did have them originally done by a bodyshop but they were more matt than satin :( shame cos they'd done a really good job on the set for my pre-facelift

• Like 2

Cheers guys

Looks good mate, did you spray it?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Yes. Firstly, washed with soapy water. I trimmed away any chipped areas of the plastic with a knife, then sanded down any areas that appeared worn.

Gave it a final clear with a mr muscle all purpose cleaner. I then applied 3 coats of Halfords primer at 10 minute intervals (spray) and waited an hour.

Then 3 coats of gloss black spray at 10 minute intervals and waited an hour.

Finally one coat of lacquer B)

An update, I painted the lower grille today...

Before:

DSC_0324_zps36566e96.jpg

After:

DSC_0337_zps506996de.jpg

• Like 2

Looks way better in gloss black mate

• Like 1

TOP job there fella, spray painting badge to sew on your arm on its way lol. :iim:

It really brings the front to life the black, love it :D :D :driving: :driving:

• Like 2

Great job there, looks much better like that.

Bumper bottom lip and foglamp surrounds next ;)

• Like 2

Troy, any tips on doing the front lip? Or shall I do exactly what I've done with the grille?

Never painted over bodywork before

Troy, any tips on doing the front lip? Or shall I do exactly what I've done with the grille?

Never painted over bodywork before

The bottom lip is often done in vinyl rather than painting over the bodywork - takes a bit of practice plus a heat gun as it needs stretching in some places to match the contours of the bottom of the bumper. Don't know if anywhere does a pre-cut section to fit, when I checked with DMB graphics they just sent me a strip big enough to do the job.

I actually did mine in 5 or 6 sections which do overlap slightly if you look closely - did the outer corners first then worked inwards, also had to slice and overlap the vinyl underneath the bumper as it creases up under there otherwise.

Depends if you're wanting to be able to remove the black again in the future, if not you could get advice on painting it or maybe try that spray-able plastic? understand that can be peeled off if you want, though I've never used it myself.

• Like 1

The bottom lip is often done in vinyl rather than painting over the bodywork - takes a bit of practice plus a heat gun as it needs stretching in some places to match the contours of the bottom of the bumper. Don't know if anywhere does a pre-cut section to fit, when I checked with DMB graphics they just sent me a strip big enough to do the job.

I actually did mine in 5 or 6 sections which do overlap slightly if you look closely - did the outer corners first then worked inwards, also had to slice and overlap the vinyl underneath the bumper as it creases up under there otherwise.

Depends if you're wanting to be able to remove the black again in the future, if not you could get advice on painting it or maybe try that spray-able plastic? understand that can be peeled off if you want, though I've never used it myself.

+1 Vynil is king, more resistance to stone chips,

Pretty sure DMB Graphics sell model specific kits for the exact job your wanting to do i.e wrapping under the lower grill.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club