Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grounding Kit

jtaylor2005

Hey all. I haven't posted a lot here really if at all I can't remember haha.

I have recently got my self a new fiesta zetec s 1.0 ecoboost and I have been looking at making an earthing kit or the car.

I have always believed in making a car well earthed as whenever I read a review or a guide as to someone who has done one they have always noticed that it has made some sort of difference. Specially to the radio and sound system.

What im wondering is this. Do you guys know where there are any bolts that I could mount earth cables to using ring terminals?

I can't see a lot in the engine bay but I would like to put some near to the following places.

ECU Earthing Point

Headlights Earthing Point

Somewhere on the engine block where the starter motor earths (To help reduce headlight dimming on startup)

Somewhere near the back of the engine bay most likely near to where the headunit earths

Somewhere near to any sensor earthing points (most likely through the ECU anyway)

Thanks for any advice that I get :)

Jack

• Like 1

Did this on one of my old cars and got brighter headlights so I hope you develop upon this for ideas

I used to have a similar setup on my old Renault - only because the earthing was so bad on it and I sometimes had problems with getting the starter to work. I drilled and tapped 5 new earths, 2 of which were on the engine.

To be honest though, unless your having any issues with poor earths I wouldn't waste the time and money.

Well looking at the design of the earthing on this car it doesn't look great. All the lights dim so badly when starting as well so im not sure if that could be helped as well. But having unbolted the single earth point on the suspension mount earlier it was connected to a painted surface haha. I sorted that. However now I think im going to get to work on a nice layout and earthing setup :)

Your always going to have the headlights dim to some extent when starting though, there will always be a significant voltage drop due to the power drawn by the starter motor.

Do keep us posted though. You could always turn this into a guide.

Will do :) need to find somewhere to fit all the cables. Will have to get it jacked up soon and have a good look around for places to fit decent connections.

Out of interest, what size of cable do you plan on using?

Ultimately their is one item on the market that can help the low current flow.

Its a Pivot Mega Razin Voltage Stabiliser.

Its basically a series of capacitors that aid battery performance and helping to provide constant 12v power regardless of demand.

Their are cheap replicas on eBay which are complete crap but look identical to the genuine pivot system.

See the image below, its a replica that even has a photocopy of pivots instruction manual but genuine pivot is blue cable añd switches off when engine is off.

The replicas stay active 24/7 draining your battery, the complete opposite result of the genuine item.

Image2612.jpg

For best reliability purchase from the pivot website.

MTC_7653.jpg

MTC_7649.jpg

Mega5.jpg

Mega2.jpg

Mega3.jpg

Ive purchased from two different sellers on eBay thinking i was buying genuine but no their cheap replicas.

Im purchasing directly from pivot in january.

In the long run it will pay for itself.

I was planning to use 25mm squared welding cable if I do it. I need to figure out how to connect all the cables to the battery though as they will all have ring terminals on the end lol

• Like 1

I was planning to use 25mm squared welding cable if I do it. I need to figure out how to connect all the cables to the battery though as they will all have ring terminals on the end lol

Something like a busbar type setup would probably be your best bet?

• Like 1

Yeahh I will have to fabricate one. Or I could put a bolt through all the 5 or so ring terminals and bolt them up tight

• Like 1

Been looking at the basic prebuilt earthing kits they look pretty reasonable for how much they cost they are only around £15

• Like 1

Ultimately their is one item on the market that can help the low current flow.

Its a Pivot Mega Razin Voltage Stabiliser.

Its basically a series of capacitors that aid battery performance and helping to provide constant 12v power regardless of demand.

Their are cheap replicas on ebay which are complete crap but look identical to the genuine pivot system.

See the image below, its a replica that even has a photocopy of pivots instruction manual but genuine pivot is blue cable añd switches off when engine is off.

The replicas stay active 24/7 draining your battery, the complete opposite result of the genuine item.

Image2612.jpg

For best reliability purchase from the pivot website.

MTC_7653.jpg

MTC_7649.jpg

Mega5.jpg

Mega2.jpg

Mega3.jpg

Ive purchased from two different sellers on ebay thinking i was buying genuine but no their cheap replicas.

Im purchasing directly from pivot in january.

In the long run it will pay for itself.

Looks really fancy and good but probably over kill for the fact I only have a car for 9 months at a time and it looks kinda expensive.

I have just ordered a basic earthing kit which is 5 huge cables and a big metal braket to connect them all to :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a very basic kit. Fitted it and well the only thing I can tell really is that it seems to start quicker. I think the lights have got a little bit brighter as well but other than that not a lot really haha. You love and learn dont you haha :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club