Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Automatic Exterior Lights

Tom2108

Evening

I was wondering whether it is possible to retrofit a system that turns on the exterior lights when the central locking key is pressed when dark via a retrofitted sensor etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Don't think fitting a system like that would be considered retro-fitting, more like you'd be designing and building it from scratch.

You'd need someone with very good knowledge of the programming for the GEM, locking system and so on as it would likely need certain systems modifying to be active when the ignition is off such as the light/rain sensor.

If your car hasn't already got auto lights/wipers then going for the Ford sensors would require a new windscreen at minimum.

You'd probably be better sourcing a generic light sensor and working with that - perhaps picking up the signal for unlocking the doors and latching in a relay that then puts power to the sensor and if sensor says it's dark then latching in the headlamps & taillamps for a certain amount of time. But if the doors unlock via canbus it's not as simple.....

Many thanks for your reply Troy.

Myself, I have no knowledge with regards to wiring etc so I'd need to locate someone who is willing to do something off this calibre, with the knowledge combined.

The Zetec Focus I have is not fitted with automatic windscreen wipers or lights sop the idea I had in mind was to employ a generic light sensor as you've mentioned. But then comes the fact of wiring something like this and linking everything up correctly.

With regards to canbus, I don't know whether this is the case... My vehicle carries original halogen head lights, unlike that of the Focus ST (an upgrade I would like to make), but I have recently upgraded my rear lights to that of the LED type originating from the 08 plate Focus ST which look brilliant.

I'm assuming a generic light sensor is easy to come by?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Hi guys,

i have done this "mod" on my car, basically when i unlock my car with the remote the front and rear sidelights come on (could have picked any of the lights when i did this, eg fog light, headlights) and when i leave the car the light stay on till ive locked the car.

i dont have a guide for this but i simply used a 5 pin relay, the interior light triggers the relay and this feed power to the parking light (P on the headlight switch) picked the parking light wire becuase it stops the buzzer from sounding when i open the door.

simple mod if you know what you are doing with a relay

• Like 1

a drawing of how i wired mine up, i cant remember which wire you will need to use but that can be found easily with a multi meter.

relays are about £4-5, you will need some wire and i use female spade crimps to keep things neat.

post-57061-0-31672700-1408367015_thumb.j

Hi guys,

i have done this "mod" on my car, basically when i unlock my car with the remote the front and rear sidelights come on (could have picked any of the lights when i did this, eg fog light, headlights) and when i leave the car the light stay on till ive locked the car.

i dont have a guide for this but i simply used a 5 pin relay, the interior light triggers the relay and this feed power to the parking light (P on the headlight switch) picked the parking light wire becuase it stops the buzzer from sounding when i open the door.

simple mod if you know what you are doing with a relay

Much simpler than my suggestion :)

Challenge is for you to integrate light sensor into Nitin's circuit ;)

That's not difficult, let's see if you can figure it out ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

.....and I've found a sensor that will work perfectly for £2. I may "upgrade" my mod and have the fog lights come on when it's dark and I unlock the car ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

Guys

Many thanks for all your help on this topic, it's been a great help.

I've never attempted any form of electrical modifications before and am quite hesitant to do so being completely honest, but there has to be a first time for everything!

Nitin,

Would you be able to send me a link to the sensor you have found?

Thanks again