Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Engine Tapping

Clarky2013

Right so noticed this loud tapping sound over the top of the normal ticking the ST engine makes. This sound definitely was not on my st2. Engine is almost 500 miles and noise is louder now. Happens when engine is cold, warm, just started, left on idle after a run around etc.

What do you guys think? around 6 - 10 seconds in is when my phone captures the sound best

• Like 1

First diesel ST mate haha.

Seriously I have noticed that the engine does sound a bit tappety just never really noticed quite as much as that. Is your oil level still ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Yeah it does sound a bit diesel aha

I haven't even checked the oil since picking it up, completely forgot will do it first thing

• Like 2

Sounds just like a !Removed! diesel!

• Like 1

Yeah it doesn't sound good, it's only at idle though. Revving up to say 2k and letting it drop down is fine, the car drives great no blue white or black smoke from the exhaust. Mm weird one. It's going in Wednesday to be checked.

Do you hear this with the bonnet down and in the car ??

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

Yeah bonnet down, in car windows up or down, does yours do it?

Yer slightly but presumed it was normal and after warmed up goes quiet. Then when letting cool down i sometimes hear it. Also then when I turn off my ignition the fan runs for a while after but was told that's normal but doesn't do it all the time

Mine always been like that. Still as quick as everyone else's ST and mk1 focus ST so not worried.

Mmmm maybe I'm paranoid, checked oil is ok checked my exhaust, mines pooping and gargling away on idle lol there is no black smoke or oil from the exhaust so I think its ok.

Mmmm maybe I'm paranoid, checked oil is ok checked my exhaust, mines pooping and gargling away on idle lol there is no black smoke or oil from the exhaust so I think its ok.

Haha sound like me haha there a guy in same village as me with a white one and way before got mine used to see him driving around etc and always thought his car was quiet for a st like silent. So when I got mine I was quite shocked and thought it was the exhaust with a crack or hole in. So one night I spotted him and followed him home as I knew he a mechanic for ford and asked him about it. He then told me that nah his is the same just he saves on fuel N tries to stay bellow 2k rpm lol ding ding hello buy something else then! Donut

As long as there is no smoke on boost you've got no worries

Right, Im not the kinda guy to just sit around and wait for it to break. Called Ford Assist and AA guy came out, had a good listen and the noise happened when he was here, about an hour of listening later, he reckons fuel related. No noise in the actual engine, its not deep enough to be crank related , it is either faulty injector or fuel pressure switch or fuel rail issue. And power wise he reckons it feels like it is running on 3 instead of 4 cylinders. He says it is completely driveable until I take it to my dealer Monday morning with the AA report. Would also explain why my MPG is bad and hasn't risen much since picking it up, bedding this one in gently.

So stay tuned, I will update after it goes into Ford Monday.

This is pretty poor you haven't evan had the car more than few weeks yet luckily I've not had this problem with mine but if i did id be pretty annoyed

Spoke to the master tech this morning and he is pretty sure he wants to replace the fuel pump and an injector , under warranty of course.

That's crap, on a brand new vehicle like this. Hope I don't get a Friday car.

yeah not too happy about it, if the parts don't sort the issue or anything else is bad then its getting rejected and I am getting a like for like replacement, I have already spoken to the service manager who is in agreement.

That's good news then.

By the way, do you know what day it was built on...its not actually a Friday car for real is it? if it is, it gives credence to the myth!

yeah checked it already, genuinely a Friday build :huh:

can understand the injector but isn't the fuel pump in or attached to the fuel tank? shouldn't be rattling.

Not too good in a brand new car.

Hopefully it will be fixed for you asap mate.

Sure this is just a matter of a couple of dodgy components , this is one of the problems these days what with mass production and all that.

So went back after work I am happier now. They got hold of the parts same day and fitted and the noise has gone. They only fitted the injector didn't need the fuel pump. Waiting for a road test tomorrow morning and if it's ok I get it back. They say as phil does above just a crap part in a mass produced car. Anyway I'm getting a free full tank of Shell v power from them for the troubles.

• Like 1

Glad it's getting sorted and hopefully is going to be ok, it's irritating but parts do fail even when new. This is what ge warranty is there for, nice of them to fill the car up though.

Lol at the Friday car, they work 24/7 in cologne don't they? The do shut down for a couple of weeks in July /august so that might be a worry for the last day, lol.

Thats good mate pleased you got sorted quickly.

I'm sure it will be all good now with the added bonus of a good old boost session to test at their expense.