Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus Front Lower Control Arm Bushings

Fred80

Hello,

I have a 2010 Focus 1.6 TDCI and despite having only done 27,000 miles one of the front control arm bushings is leaking oil. There is also a knock over bumps at slow speed, so I'm working on the basis it needs new ones.

Its the bigger one, pointing towards the back of the car sort of thing.

Are they easy to swap, or is it a control arm off job?

Thanks in advance

Fred

To change the bush you'll need to get the lower arm off.

From memory you'll need wheel off then drop the undertray to give access to the bolts at the back of the LCA, bolt out of the front (also pivot's on this) and split the track rod from the LCA. Then the LCA comes free from the subframe and knuckle

Depends then if you're replacing with a full bush and clamp as seen on eBay or going for polybushes. For polybushes you'll need to burn/cut the old bush out of it's clamp and maybe off the end of the LCA too. Also I'm not sure if the standard bush will separate from the arm easily or needs butchering off. Got poybushes on mine but they came off another car complete with the control arms.

Car will most likely need wheel alignment checking after changing the bushes as the arm can sit differently with new/uprated bushes.

I didn't realise it would be so extreme :(

So you cant just undo it and pull the arm down a bit to pull the bush off?

Ah - well that's actually pretty straightforwards, albeit a few steps.

If I buy full arms then its just a few bolts, old off, new on?

p.s. thanks for the replies

Yes it's a lot more straight forward if you're just swapping the whole arm and bush assembly in 1 go :)

Unless your using a genuine arm, I would pick your replacement one carefully as with a lot of them the bushes are rubbish and will fail much sooner that genuine ones.

I have these bushes to do on a focus soon, I'm replacing the bushes rather than the complete arm

Yet again Stef is spot on buy cheap buy twice ,Lemforder are good as are Quentin hazel and Delphi .

Quentin hazel personally for me, but its all down to money, the lemforders at euro car parts are good. :D :driving:

The Quentin hazel ones on eBay are cheaper then the lemforders at euro and I would have Quentin hazel any day of the week they have been going over 30 years MY vote QH :D :driving:

• Like 1

Yet again Stef is spot on buy cheap buy twice ,Lemforder are good as are Quentin hazel and Delphi .

Quentin hazel personally for me, but its all down to money, the lemforders at euro car parts are good. :D :driving:

The Quentin hazel ones on ebay are cheaper then the lemforders at euro and I would have Quentin hazel any day of the week they have been going over 30 years MY vote QH :D :driving:

+1 on both brands mentioned

Thank you all.

I would get Lemforder, as I think they might be original anyway. The Lemforder drop links I put on were identical to the 'ford' ones right down to each mark and number.

Is it easier to swap the arms if I jack the car and then lower the wheels down onto say some bricks so it's high but down...

I can imagine if the wheel is off the ground and floating about it's harder to fit the new ones?

Certainly in the video above, having the wheel not moving made it look easy?

I always remove the wheel to fit control arms, you can't get in otherwise. The hardest bit is getting the pinch bolt out.

• 1 year later...

I had my front suspension arm replaced at my local garage.total cost,£112.main dealer wanted nearly £300!!!!!.part cost £49. Ford OEM £130+!!!!!!,!