Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puddle Lights

jcs95whufc

Hi All,

I want to change the yellowish puddle lights to White L.E.D's, is it simply the case of changing them over...or do I need a required led light/bulb?

thanks

james

5 Min job, Get some white LED's like these (What I use all over the car) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370992182082?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Get a flat blade scredriver about 5mm across

Swing the glass in the mirror in to get the gap as big as possible to the outside upper corner (Opposite to corner to the heater wires). Look inside at where the glass clips to the centre and you will see a small slot between two tabs, put the screwdriver in there and twist. The glass will start to pop off the base, work around till glass is free

Both the Puddle bulb and the Indicator bulb are now full accesable and easy to get at. Change what you want. Twist the LEDs around a little to get the best light

Line up the glass, mounting clip centred on the circular stud and firmly with flat of hand to spread load push and clip glass back on

Done

Literally 5 mins a side max and far easier than trying to get at bulbs through the mini gap or pulling glass off by hand

Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great! thanks for the reply

Will let you know how I get on at the weekend

James

I attempted earlier today, too afraid to keep fiddling with the screw driver and crack my glass on the mirror by pulling it out. I will book it in to a mechanic I know!

Can you see the slot, hang on I'll try and take a picture

Okay mate, well me and my dad aren't the most technical people. We're just worried will break something doing it. I angled the glass so it's angled down to the right massive gap too left corner (this is doing left wing mirror) I poked screw driver is a user some bits but wasn't to sure what I was trying to poke and pull or whatever

• Like 1

Here you go

1st push glass so outer top edge is as far out as possible

IMG_1273.jpg

Then look in at the 11 O'clock, you will see a small slot under a tab, outlined

IMG_1275-1.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Finally, put a flat head screwdriver into that slot and twist, you'll feel a click as the inner mount releases, with NO stress on the glass whatsoever, now just work screw driver round to pop off the tabs and viola. You can even leave it hanging on the heater wires to change the bulbs, To replace just offer it up in the correct place, put palm of hand in centre over the mount ring and push firmly, you'll feel it click back on

[url=http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/divermole/media/IMG_1276.jpg.html]IMG_1276.jpg[/uRL]

Hope that helps

Stephen

• Like 2

Hi mate. Nope still no luck :/ it is probably me being really stupid but I've fiddled around with the mirror had a good look inside but it does look different. I'll book it in with ford now I have the bulbs. Cheers for the anyway mate!

• Like 1

Thats a shame, its nerve racking doing them for the first time and you need to be brave, but it really is easy and pretty low risk when you know how, they are quite well designed

Same with the coloured Shell, the indicator lens and the puddle light fitting. They all unclip if you know how. Notice I have tinted my indicator lens black, looks much better

get the Ford bloke to let you watch so you can do it yourself next time, it will take him 10 seconds, but I bet they dont do it as a favour

• Like 1

Nah I know it's a shame I know it's something so easy to do, and i will kick my self when they charge me for doing it but oh well! With the remaining l.e.d bulbs I think a May change my reversing light to the led to, what do you think of that? Also, then leds are they able to replace my sidelights too?

• Like 1

You can replace all the side lights and reverse lights

I have these in my Reverse, direct fit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300975665686?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have these in my front sidelights

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290684873071?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

Nice one! You got any recommendations for bulbs to change the headlights to xenon without having to buy a HID Kit which can workout really expensive?

• Like 1

Yep, DONT fit Hids

Its illegal, wont pass an MOT and will get you pulled. real Xenons are HIDS and need self leveling lights, Wash jets and Projector headlamps to be legal.

Halogen bulbs that claim to be Xenons are a marketing con and are just bulbs with blue paint on them

However if you just want brighter and whiter lights then its going to be harder as Ford fit good Phillips halogens to start with but I run these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230962272285?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251442852442?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

S

As good as you will get. The focus' headlamps are pretty good anyway and these are more than good enough to see at night

• Like 1

I just felt My fiesta mk7 had a brighter white headlight these bulbs on my mk3 focus just seem very yellowish ...the bulbs you have supplied links to which ones are the best? Or are they the same

One is the high beam, one is the dipped beam

They are matching bulbs, so bothe headlampos will be same colour

Oh yes! see not the most gifted technical person in the world but im learning.

Thats alright, there are no stupid questions, so ask away (I may give stupid answers sometimes though!)

My Genuine Ford DRL's just arrived!, guess what I'm doing this evening if the rain ever stops

S

That's the next step I wanted to do is put in L.E.D DLR. What kit did you buy/how much? all I can find is the L.E.Ds that go round near the fog lights. nothing which attaches to the headlights. I was looking into buying the strips from Halfords but I have a feeling they will be very thin strips dull and !Removed! looking with people knowing they have been bought from Halfords lol.

I bouhght the proper Ford/Noldon one. Its expensive but obviously is OEM and ford cant complain about warranty. Also the gill is at an angle so normal DRL's wont face forward exactly (The ford one has separate LEDs and built to face forward when fitted)

I've fitted phillips and other DRL's in the past and they are very easy (Power/earth and sidelights taps)

The ford ones have FULL instructions included that are complete enough for even ford technicians (ie muppets) to complete so shuld be an easy fit. You have 1 bolt, 2 wires to cut and insulate and 2 solder joins to do. Would be good if you have a small amount of heatsink as well

If your ever over heathrow way I could easily help you fit them. should take 1 hour max

Ive seen a couple of versions of focus DLR lights.

1- built in to the lower grill next to the fog lights

2 - (The DLR's that I want, that are with the headlights, like you see on the fiesta and ive seen on some focus' too..

which ones did you get? do you have a link?

• 3 weeks later...

Washing my car at the weekend, I thought id give it another go changing the leds under the puddle lights.....stuck a screw driver down there popped straight off replaced them both within minutes!

I then thought id be daring and change my sidelights to leds.....10 minutes later changed them too! haha, must of been having one of those days last time I attempted this!

Now time to change the headlights to a more whiter/bluer bulb. will go for the Phililps ultra vision isit?

LOL, once you've done it the first time its easy isn't it

Phillips Ultra Visions are a superb light but definitely NOT blue

See this thread http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/61822-headlight-bulb-recommendation/ for lots of pics of them in action compared with a tinted blue set. Tints just remoive light and are never as bright

Oh and get some dialectric grease and wipe the bulb contact tabs with it, they will stay brighter and live longer with the better connections

Have fun

S

Great just read - is there anything you recommend which will give me that xenon look to match my sidelight led's.

You can get the Phillips blue bulbs to make the light whiter, but they are not as powerful as the vision plus

• 4 years later...

Could you please post a photo of puddle lights and mark them?

I have Focus Mk2 Ghia with indicator in the mirror and I'm not sure if puddle light is integrated there. Both are not working if it is.

I saw photos of other puddle light type on the bottom of mirror housing, I don't have that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club