Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Couple Of Mk7 Issues...

MrBriggs

Afternoon chaps,

I bought myself a 09 reg Mk7 1.2 Fiesta Zetec a couple of months ago. Nice little car (if a bit underpowered) :). The 3 month warranty is almost up and I'm wondering if I should get a couple of things checked out with the garage I bought it from (Jennings Ford).

If anyone's got anything to say about the below then that would be dead helpful.

1) Gearbox. The car seems to have an issue with reverse gear. Pretty much every time I try to reverse, the first time I put it into reverse it doesn't engage. The second/third time I put it into reverse tho it engages fine. When it doesn't go in, it kind of just makes a whirring sound. Other times it makes the usual crunch sound - even when stationary. Have read that this seems that reverse gear is quite a common issue on Fiestas, but am not sure when it becomes 'too much' of an issue - i.e. about to go kaput.

2) A bit rough - I'm probably just being overly sensitive, but if I'm in say third gear and doing 15-20mph, the car feels a bit rough, maybe like it's not firing correctly. I know all cars struggle when going slow in a higher gear but it doesn't feel as smooth as it does under acceleration. Does that make sense??

3) Squeak - It's developed a bit of a squeak at low speeds whilst moving (i.e. not under breaking). Sounds a bit like a hamster! It doesn't sound serious, just wonder what's causing it - it sounds like a rotational issue - any ideas? It also seems to be kicking out a bit of break dust on the front wheel alloys - wonder if maybe just a break disc issue (even though it doesn't squeak under breaking)?

Has just under 30k on the clock and from the log book it looks like it was serviced regularly.

Any thoughts would be brill, thanks!

MB.

Reverse gear is to be expected. Driving around in third at low speed will feel like it'll stall so second is better up to 20mph. Squeaks are also to be expected at that milage.

Reverse gear in the ib5 gearbox has always been a problem being a straight cut gear where all others are not. Try an put it into first then reverse or any other gear and reverse.

Depends what engine you have. But 3rd gear at 15-20mph is to high a gear for that speed. Stop in second.

And the squeak at low speeds could be 2 things from my experience. The front brake pads have a build up of dirsr and dust etc and gets stuck into the brake carriers causing the pads to bind. Even though t might not be under braking it could be a problem. There is a tsb tsb/??/2009 somethig along them lines.

Another possible cause is a faulty driveshaft center bearing (on the o/s driveshaft) they released a revised bearing as this was getting hot and creating a squaling at low speeds.

Take it to the garage of you are still wothin the 3 month warranty period and they should be look into your problems for you.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

I had the squeek, it was crap that had built up on/around the brake discs. They just needed a wire brushing. I had my discs changed too and it's been gone ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Cheers for all your replies guys, dead helpful.

Is reverse gear really this bad for all Mk7 Fiesta owners? If it was only once every so often I'd totally understand, it just seems that it happens a bit too frequently! :) I can live with it if it's normal behaviour though - am just keen to distinguish the point in-between a workable fault and imminent mechanical failure.

Willy/Kev - It's when I need to reverse quickly (like in busy supermarket car parks etc) so it typically happens most often when going from 1st into reverse anyway. Will try banging it into fifth/neutral and then into reverse tho. Do you guys get a light whirring sound (not just neutral revs) when it doesn't engage too?

I've just got the 1.2 82bhp engine. I'm more used to driving diesels so maybe it's just about getting used to driving a petrol but 15mph doesn't seem that slow for third gear! Does it do the engine any harm when doing say 15mph in 3rd/30mph in 4th?

The breakpads are also quite noisy/kick out alot of dust - I can really hear them rubbing together when under breaking so I think I'll need to get them changed anyway but will try getting a pressure washer under them Sammy!

Thanks again guys.

Changing into reverse to quickly will always cause problems. You need to pause for a bit after stopping then change into reverse. Another thing you Could do is when reverse is stuck half engaged just lift the clutch slowly whilst gentle pushing the gear stick into gear.

As for you 3rd gear issue you 1.25 doesn't like to be driven at low RPM so I suggest keeping it above 1000 rpm or you'll damage the engine / gearbox as it'll stall at lower rpm. Pulling away should be at at leased 2000 rpm. You'll find you'll have to use high rpm's to get anything out of the little 1.25.

my gfs fiesta has dodgy reverse, my fiesta has a crunchy first and my work fiesta has a crunchy first... its just the gearbox

Reverse gear in the 7.5 I'm driving is a PIG.

When selecting reverse, the gear stick travel is much shorter than any of the others gears.

Sometimes I have to fiddle around selecting other gears, then select reverse.

Even when I think I'm in reverse and it has popped out of reverse with a loud bang.

Never had a car like this before.

Will get Ford to check this on the next service.

Morning guys, thanks again for your replies.

Just had a play around going from first into neutral, raising the clutch in neutral, and then clutch down into reverse. It crunched every time it went into reverse! I sounded like a proper learner driver again haha! :) Is this actually healthy for the gearbox? Sorry to keep asking the same question - just trying to distinguish between the a common fault or if it's something more serious. Am a bit conscious the garage might just try and fob me off.

Thanks! :)

Working for ford motor company for 7+ years and having drove hundreds of cars with the ib5 gear box. 95% of the time its the normal gearbox issue.

I have never come across a problem for reverse in this gearbox. But im only one techy in 1 garage. Get it checked out and you could be that 5% you never know

I occasionally get the grinding but 9 times out of 10 if goes in as smooth as on my 1.6 Mk7.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Changing into reverse to quickly will always cause problems. You need to pause for a bit after stopping then change into reverse. Another thing you Could do is when reverse is stuck half engaged just lift the clutch slowly whilst gentle pushing the gear stick into gear.

As for you 3rd gear issue you 1.25 doesn't like to be driven at low RPM so I suggest keeping it above 1000 rpm or you'll damage the engine / gearbox as it'll stall at lower rpm. Pulling away should be at at leased 2000 rpm. You'll find you'll have to use high rpm's to get anything out of the little 1.25.

Why on earth would you try to engage gear while releasing the clutch ? This would simply exacerbate the problem and crunch the meshes in the box..

There is no syncromesh on reverse gear and this is what gives the rough feel sometimes.. Try double clutching or going into neutral first then into reverse. This should help..

"Taking off with 2,000 RPM is a recipe for early clutch driven plate wear. As for damaging the engine by using less revs to take off that is complete and utter rubbish.. Sorry it just is ! "

Tell us more ;)

Afternoon chaps,

Kev - haha yes, knowing my luck I'm the 5%! Just seems a bit too frequent for it to be normal behaviour.

CharlieFarlie - I tried going from first into neutral, lifting the clutch up, pushing the clutch down and then into reverse - crunched every time!

Out of interest, what speeds do you guys shift up gear at?

Cheers guys!

I had a problem with reverse too in my old Titanium, sometimes it didn't want to go into gear. But I would just put it back in neutral, let the clutch out and put it back in, then it would go into reverse no problem. And I agree with others about being in 3rd below 20 mph, especially with such a weak engine it's not going to like it.

Cheers Phil,

I suppose that, for me, doing what you did and lifting the clutch up in neutral and then putting it into reverse made it crunch even more for me than it did before!

Anyone got any experience on taking a used car back to Jennings/ other garages whilst under warranty? I Imagine that the garage will do anything to say it's just down to wear and tear etc.

Cheers Phil,

I suppose that, for me, doing what you did and lifting the clutch up in neutral and then putting it into reverse made it crunch even more for me than it did before!

Anyone got any experience on taking a used car back to Jennings/ other garages whilst under warranty? I Imagine that the garage will do anything to say it's just down to wear and tear etc.

Yeah my old one used to crunch quite loudly too, it even felt like the car moved slightly just as it went into reverse I think. I'm glad there's no such problem with the ST gearbox.

Don't forget if you have a Ford warranty you can go to any Ford dealer, but whichever one you go to they should be willing to help. I've been to Ford multiple times with my last 2 cars, to 3 different dealers and they have all being helpful and fixed things without charging me. It sometimes takes them a couple of attempts though.

Cheers Phil,

I got my car through Jennings Ford Used Car Outlet so not sure that quite counts as a Ford warranty!? Guys at Jennings seemed decent when I bought it from them but I imagine a salesman's always nice to the customer, haha! Wouldn't mind your ST like ;)

"Taking off with 2,000 RPM is a recipe for early clutch driven plate wear. As for damaging the engine by using less revs to take off that is complete and utter rubbish.. Sorry it just is ! "

Tell us more ;)

2k is a little high. 1500RPM is about right. But you're right in the mk6 and beyond the 1.25 is pulling too much. Not to mention they're more tuned for emissions also. The engine was designed for the mk4/5 and that's where its best.

Evening guys,

Just thought I'd give you an update. Popped into the garage today and asked if one of the mechanics could have a look over her.

Took him through the stuff explained above - every time I put it into neutral, lifted the clutched, dipped clutch and put it into reverse it crunched. Playing devils advocate I asked if we could see if we could replicate the issue in a couple of the other fiestas on the forecourt - which we couldn't. A little bit of a crunch, but not as severe. Seemed a nice guy - pretty patient. So he said he'd need to book it in and have a look at the clutch.

So, 2 questions:

1) I'm no mechanic but based on the feedback here and on google generally, it seems to be a gearbox issue rather than a clutch issue? Could clutch be responsible? Am not trying to make work for works sake...

2) The guy on the helpdesk said that they don't normally cover clutches under warranty but because 'I've only had the car a shortwhile' they'd consider it and 'needed to speak with the sales team' to see if they would cover it. Not sure I fancy a large bill! Any similar experience?

Cheers guys!

Clutches are normally a wear and tear item unless the slave cylinder is leaking brake fluid and contaminated the clutch. (which moves out like a piston to disengage the clutch to allow you to change gear)

It can be caused by a worn friction plate in the clutch. Bent fins on the pressure plate or Loose springs in the pressure plate.

If they have the gearbox out id be suprised that they wouldnt remove the clutch to check it. They could strip the geaebox down and find a fault. Or they couldnt. We normally send it to a gearbox specalist to save time due to them having more experience and corrects tools.

They might pay for the repair 100% or offer you x% off the bill depends how long you had it. If you make a big enough fuss. But if you make a big enough fuss then they could offer to have the car back off you. Its abit of a fine line. And you might be worse off

Cheers kev,

I've had it about 2 months - if it is the clutch, I wouldn't mind paying a contribution towards it but kind of feel that if there is something wrong then it was probably unfair of them to sell it on in the first place.

Another thought did occur - if it was the clutch, wouldn't it affect all gears? I've never noticed anything wrong with any of the others - at least no crunching like some of the guys here have pointed out.Also, there's only 30k on the clock - I guess the former owner would have had to rag the bejesus out of it to damage the clutch so quickly? Assuming not faulty from the start...

Cheers!

Normally yes. But i have had it occur in certian gears or no drive what so ever. Really it needs the gearbox stripping down and inspecting.

Theres a sliding joint on a shaft that move a flap (easiest way to put it) moves iver so you can engage reverse an not accidentally engage 4 for example. Theres a fancy name like interlocking or something and that could be worn causing the crunching sound.

Your car is still within 3 month used car warranty depends how many miles youve done since youve had it that could be a factor to them taking the bill.

And to put it blunt...if the customer does not realise a fault within that 3 month period alot of salesmen/garages dont care what happens after becuase its a "used" car.

Not a massive driver (hence the Fiesta ;)) - think I'll have only done about 400 miles in it since I bought it and most of that just up and down the motorway on several 50-mile trips.

I always get the feeling that warranties and insurance aren't really worth the paper they're written on - seem to be more about what they won't cover than what they will cover. Hence not being optimistic that they'll cover the cost! Still, it's the kind of gesture that if they did pay for then I'd probably buy cars from them in the future, recommend to friends etc.

Cheers!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club