Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Focus 1.8 Or 2.0 Mpg Question On Mk2.5

shiwarrior

hey all

New here so forgive me if this has been asked a million times already, but I cant find the answer, and like some advice please, thanks

I in a current dilemma, I have been looking at "Petrol" 1.8 Focus , either a Zetec or Titanium trim, but I have also been keeping an eye out for a 2.0 engine, now there's a 2Litre Titanium up for sale that I'm interested in, but I am unsure of its fuel consumption

I drive really low miles to work on a daily basis, around 7 miles each way (I start early hours in the morning)

and was wondering if there will be much of a difference between these two engine sizes? and then what if I decide to do a 300 miles round trip, again, would there be any difference?

Thanks for your help

As the 2.0 is a six speed box I think the mpg is on a par with the 1.8 of cause depending on your driving style I have the 1.8 and get mid thirtys to high fortys taking it real easy can get into the mid fiftys 2.0 goes like stink again really depends on what you want.

thanks Steads

well, i love fast cars , so coming from a clio sport, I've driven the 1,8 focus and it doesn't feel too bad, but if figures suggest the 2 litre is on par with the 1,8?

Are the focus you've seen petrol of diesel ?

Ahhh, sorry I should have said, Petrol is what im after

thanks

I had a 1.8 focus petrol zetec and mpg was around 34 - 35

I now have a 2 litre petrol Titanium and I now get 40 mpg on a run of 35 miles :)

I do service it every 6 months and have fitted a K& N filter.

oo That's interesting!

Thanks Steve for your reply

anyone else like to reply?

Thanks all

why not get the 1.6 ti vct its cheaper road tax better mpg and alost the same power and torque as the 1.8 as well as being a newer more refined engine

Running Costs
MPG Urban
30 mpg
MPG Extra Urban
50 mpg
MPG Combined
40 mpg
CO2 Emissions
167 g/km
VED Band
H
Insurance Group (1-20)
Insurance Group (1-50)
Company Car Tax
Calculate ta
Engine
Engine Size
1798 cc
Cylinders
Valves
16v
Fuel
Unleaded
Emissions Rating
EU4
Performance
Top Speed
123 mph
0-60 mph
-
0-62 mph
10.5 s
Power (bhp)
-
Power (ps)
125 ps
Torque

122 lb

Running Costs

MPG Urban
33 mpg
MPG Extra Urban
52 mpg
MPG Combined
43 mpg
CO2 Emissions
157 g/km
VED Band
G
Insurance Group (1-20)
Insurance Group (1-50)
Company Car Tax
Calculate tax

Engine 1.6 ti vct
Engine Size
1596 cc
Cylinders
Valves
16v
Fuel
Unleaded
Emissions Rating
E
Performance
Top Speed
118 mph
0-60 mph
-
0-62 mph
-
Power (bhp)
-
Power (ps)
115 ps
Torque
114 lb ft

Running Costs
MPG Urban
29 mpg
MPG Extra Urban
52 mpg
MPG Combined
40 mpg
CO2 Emissions
169 g/km
VED Band
E
Insurance Group (1-20)
Insurance Group (1-50)
-
Company Car Tax
Calculate ta
Engine 2.0 petrol
Engine Size
1999 cc
Cylinders
Valves
16v
Fuel
Unleaded
Emissions Rating
EU4
Performance
Top Speed
128 mph
0-60 mph
-
0-62 mph
9.4 s
Power (bhp)
-
Power (ps)
145 ps
Torque
136 lb ft

well I always thought that the 1.6 is gutless, that is why I've been looking at 1,8 and 2.0 models, I feel the 1.6 isn't for me, coming from a string of fast cars

I have looked at what figures say on websites such as parkers and auto trader etc

but thanks for your post

oh and I thought they ditched the VVT model in the 2008-2011 range ???

Ford Focus Hatchback 1.6 Zetec 5d (08) – Facts and Figures

Engine Size

1596 cc

Cylinders

0-60 mph

11.5 secs

Top Speed

112 mph

Power Output

98 bhp

Valves

Torque

150 Nm 111 lb-ft

the standard 1.6 is gutless i went from a 1.8 to the ti vct and it makes me smile i never need to downshift i dont regret getting rid of the 1.8 at all ive had a few fast cars as well and to be honest speed isnt everything its about the experience ide say test all 3 and think what youre using it for 7 miles will barely warm the car up so the 1.8 will have worse economy than expected all will in fact

Hi mate

I currently have the Focus 2.0 duratec, it's the same engine as the fiesta ST 150. I've had the car about 6 months and put about 5k on the clock. My journey to work and back Is about 13 miles each way and is a mixture of motorway and A roads aswell as some city traffic. I've never seen over 33 mpg average on the car. Mine does have a few minor engine mods so, I would say your not ever going to see over 35 mpg. Biggest let down with them is the 5 speed gear box as the car tops out at about 135ish needs that extra gear in my opinion. Hope this helps :D

I have the 1.8 petrol. Have to agree with the previously quoted figures.

It's not a bad car, goes well enough, cruises the motorway network without breaking a sweat (my poor 1.2 Punto used to scream going over the Pennines lol).

My general average around town is 30-31mpg. I can eek a few more miles out of a tank if I really really try :unsure:

Nice steady motorway runs used to push into the 40's - high forties if stuck at 50 for what feels like a million miles of average speed checked roadworks -_-

Hooning round the back roads of Lancashire...I dread to think how low it went (not that I sped, just never let the revs drop much hehe). But it was fun, the car seemed to enjoy the blowout too (Italian Tune-Up as carried over from the Punto lol)

I'd rather have a 2.0 tdci 6 speed

I only do 6,000 to 8,000 miles a year though

Hi mate

I currently have the Focus 2.0 duratec, it's the same engine as the fiesta ST 150. I've had the car about 6 months and put about 5k on the clock. My journey to work and back Is about 13 miles each way and is a mixture of motorway and A roads aswell as some city traffic. I've never seen over 33 mpg average on the car. Mine does have a few minor engine mods so, I would say your not ever going to see over 35 mpg. Biggest let down with them is the 5 speed gear box as the car tops out at about 135ish needs that extra gear in my opinion. Hope this helps :D

Interesting, thanks mate

I do half your mileage though (6K to 8K a year) soon as I leave my village, I'm doing 50-60 all the way to work, with just 1 roundabout to negotiate

Hello Shiwarrior,

I have a similar commute to you- 13 miles early morning through quiet country roads with mostly 40mph speed limits, 13 miles home in the evening.

I have the 2009 1.8 Zetec S model with 123bhp. I generally get 37-39mpg, but this will drop towards 35mpg if i start using the Focus for very short journeys at the weekend or use the a/c a lot.

Traffic can affect the fuel economy quite a bit. A bad run at 730am will see 34mpg, whereas a clear run at 5am will return up to 42mpg. I try to avoid travelling in rush hour.

I have no idea what i get on motorways because i haven't used one yet, despite clocking up nearly 2000 miles since June. :)

Thanks @Sugarman

good thing I don't hit ANY traffic on my commute :) I may see 1 or 2 cars that's about it on the way to work, coming home a few more, but not much

Debated the petrol v diesel for a long time,went with diesel in the end,short morning journeys too and from havnt affected it atall in the year of ownership,still gets 65mpg when its driven on the motorway too.wouldnt buy a diesel with a dpf if you drive like a bit of a granny though as you'll get numerous problamos with it.

if you're gonna get a 2.0l petrol you may aswell get an st and enjoy the car if the journeys are that short lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Hi Ben

sorry I was not debating petrol Vs Diesel, just the petrol cars

my last car was a clio sport 172, and I decided I didn't want to be paying almost £300 in car tax and a lot of fuel a year etc

if I wanted to continue that trend, then yes I would have looked into getting a focus ST, but its the same problem over again.

I am debating the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines because the book figures are too close to comfort, so I didn't see any real point in getting the 1.8

Does the 2.0 have the same sports suspension and bodykit as the 1.8 Zetec S?

What about the brakes? Are they different on the 2.0?

Does the 2.0 have the same sports suspension and bodykit as the 1.8 Zetec S?

What about the brakes? Are they different on the 2.0?

no and yes

The 2 Litre titanium (its the trim that matters not the engine), drops the sports suspension, only way to get it back is to have the sports pack upgrade (comes with 18" multi spoke wheels and sports suspension

Rear brakes are drums on the 1,6 and 1.8, the 2.0 has discs

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club