Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Induction Kit Or Air Filter

Damon Cook

Hi guys im new to FOC so forgive me if ive posted this in the wrong place im considering putting an K&N induction kit on my 1.8 TDCI focus ive hear varied arguments for and against any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Like 1

Hi guys im new to FOC so forgive me if ive posted this in the wrong place im considering putting an K&N induction kit on my 1.8 TDCI focus ive hear varied arguments for and against any advice would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forum Damon,

Any filter upgrade that uses the existing airbox such as K&N will do nicely,

You have a turbo so you will feel more benefits than someone with a naturally aspirated engine,

I also highly recommend you blank your EGR valve to prolong the life of your engine,

Both these mods will increase your mpg and reduce turbo lag,

Search: stainless steel blanking plate 1.8tdci on eBay.co.uk

Awesome thanks for the adivice how do i go about blanking the EGR valve is it an easy job or somthing i should get a mechanic to do

• Like 1

Im also finding pulling off at junctions a little difficult due to first gear needing nearly 4k revs before i get any power any ideas on improving the the power to first ? Or is that a remap job?

• Like 1

Just put a panel replacement on it, far better than a "Kit" in most cases, Manufacturers designed airboxes like this for a reason, a silly little generic pipe / tube would in place if they were that great on all car ( Awaits flak from the Induction kit made me beat a Bugatti clan ) plus the K&N ones I think are washable so you never have to buy another, was the case a few years ago anyway, Induction kits on the other hand get filthy very quick and you'll end up with powerloss.

You sure it's 4KRPM? whats the limiter on the Derv? Boost should be around 2K, any black or grey smoke on boost?

• Like 1

Sumtyms get grey smoke if the cars been idle for a while or its cold but it varies sumtyms it it can be 3-4 k rpm before i get any boost but in other gears it seems fine justdrives like a tractor pulling off takes to long to get power

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Yeh not often tho think its just on days wen its been cold

• Like 1

Yeh not often tho think its just on days wen its been cold

Maybe worth having your injectors checked for leaking seals,

This will allow fuel to fill the cylinder across idle periods causing smoke on start up,

Leaking injectors can kill your turbo by heavily contamination to your oil and induction pipe if the egr is not blanked,

Blanking EGR is a simple enough process and will give an increase in torque,

Bare in mind your ecu limits power in 1st, 2nd gear to protect the gearbox from excessive torque,

The 1.8tdci is the best diesel engine in the focus hardly give any trouble compared to higher and lower litre diesel engines,

After blanking the egr you should use a can of Wynne's engine flush on the next oil change to flush out the carbon caused by egr flow,

Ive created a guide on blanking the 1.6tdci,

Theres a few whom have blanked there 1.8tdci aswell they will advise you with images,

Cool thanx for the help i dont think its the injectors tho it hardly smokes and i bought it for £100 due to injector fault and it had 127k on it had £900 in repairs to pass its mot he checked all the injectors while he changed the dud

• Like 1

Il do everything at once i think needs a service anyway thats y im looking at air filters guna do it myself do i use that engine flush before or after oil and filter change

• Like 1

Turbo might be knackered at that age and mileage, smoke on start up is a sign, whats the history on the car like?

But £100 for that?????? LOL that's brilliant.

• Like 1

Il do everything at once i think needs a service anyway thats y im looking at air filters guna do it myself do i use that engine flush before or after oil and filter change

Use the flush before draining the existing oil mate,

Heres the instructions on the tin :)

IMG_20140511_101944_zpszauv4ri_edit_1399

IMG_20140511_102028_zpsmhzskfr_edit_1399

IMG_20140511_102031_zpsq6ociip_edit_1399

Also just to inform you,

Before you purchase any service items,

If you sign up for premium membership on this forum costs 10 pounds and you will receive a life time discount card giving you 15% discount every time you visit Halfords may be of help,

halfords_card_ford_zpsenyxhbg5.png

Although for best MPG id fit a genuine Ford fuel filter, but everything else purchase wherever you choose.

Not got alot of history i know its been used as a van lot of motorway mileage lots of stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet dead giveaway it had a full look over before i bought it and everything seemed fine according to the engineer but il keep my eye out for how often its smoking it definitely stinks wen it smoking idle

• Like 1

If induction kits were any good a lot of the decent aftermarket tuners would recommend them, but upto 300bhp on most cars an enclosed air box does more than adequately supply the cold air that's required, induction kits suffer from heat soak thus loosing BHP, Like Lenny has said the GREEN filters flow the best and the build quality is excellent, it just compliments the EGR blanking plate allowing all that lovely cold air to enter the engine quicker....

• Like 1

So people if you want your car to go faster keep your bonnet closed and go to the toilet before you drive....

Unless your a passenger in some of my pals cars then you might go to the toilet whilst your on the move :D :iim:

• Like 1

I have a cone filter *eep* but the original filter was a paper cone, and I just replaced it with a cheap cotton cone, still sitting in the airbox though.. I reckon it's about the same :D

• Like 1

I have a cone filter *eep* but the original filter was a paper cone, and I just replaced it with a cheap cotton cone, still sitting in the airbox though.. I reckon it's about the same :D

Airbox filter upgrade is good or anything inside the factory airbox,

The guys didnt show torque difference though.

Airbox filter upgrade on turbo diesel engines or any turbo engine gives smoother gear change and slight increase in torque aswrll as increased mpg because the turbo isint gasping to suck in its quota of air.

I went for one of these:

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/twin-cone-performance-air-filter-air-induction-filter.html

Cheap as chips and just a first little tester mod :lol: haven't got round to getting anything better - can't be bothered at the moment...

10 points if you can guess the colour I got!

• Like 1

I went for one of these:

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/twin-cone-performance-air-filter-air-induction-filter.html

Cheap as chips and just a first little tester mod :lol: haven't got round to getting anything better - can't be bothered at the moment...

10 points if you can guess the colour I got!

Jesus less than 10 pounds :) proper mighty car mods style rite there bro,

Im guessing you went for the red one

"roll drum please there dear bistro....."

• Like 1

Jesus less than 10 pounds :) proper mighty car mods style rite there bro,

Im guessing you went for the red one

"roll drum please there dear bistro....."

...10 points!

• Like 1

...10 points!

:) is it still red though?

:) is it still red though?

mmmyeeah-ish.. more of a dirty looking red.. :lol:

• Like 1

All I can say is that mountune has obviously done research into this as the mp350 pack for the RS and the MP260 for the ST replaces the standard filter with the equivalent performance filter, and tuners for my old car the TYPE R find 300BHP supercharged with the standard airbox albeit modified internally does fine.

Ditch the heat soak filters go standard with a decent filter inside....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club