Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Veyron Crash Fraud

SandyCat

Remember that Veyron crashing into water?

Five years after faking a freak "pelican accident," an East Texas man has pleaded guilty to fraud for his role in a watery car crash that totaled his $1 million Bugatti Veyron. Andy Lee House faces up to 20 years in federal prison.

In 2009, House told the car website Jalopnik that "a low flying pelican" distracted him and caused the crash. But an admiring motorist debunked that theory with video evidence of the luxury car traveling smoothly down Interstate 45, nary a pelican in sight.

"That'll be mine one day," the man behind the camera says just moments before the rare sports car disappears into the Gulf Bay near La Marque, Texas.

House told first responders that he was reaching for his cell phone when he swerved and accidently entered the water. The YouTube video of the so-called crash led authorities to say 39-year-old House intentionally drove his car into the bay in order to collect on a hefty insurance policy.

Though the vehicle was worth about $1 million, House had a $2.2 million policy, alleging it was a collector's item. He had the car just one month before totaling it in the bay. He filed a claim on his insurance policy the day after the crash.

The FBI, the Texas Rangers and the police department in Lukfin (where House lives), all investigated the crash. Authorities say House left the motor of the Bugatti running for 15 minutes after entering the water, which destroyed the vehicle.

haha, idiot!

I struggle to understand how the car can still run 15 minutes after its got in the water?!? I mean, surely a combustion engine, requiring heat, explosion and compression cannot cooperate with a piston full of water?

Would depend on where the airbox intakes are I expect. Maybe Bugatti mounted it high up to help anyone taking one off-roading lol

What a total waste of an amazing car. Glad he got caught out I'm sure his cell mate will help him to see the error of his ways

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

That's incredible, seen this video years ago never knew the guy was trying to rip off the insurance company but wtf does that have to do with the fbi? ??

That's incredible, seen this video years ago never knew the guy was trying to rip off the insurance company but wtf does that have to do with the fbi? ??

Probably due to being in the FBIs durisdiction? due to it being such a large sum of money or due to a technicalaty like its cross states or a mail fraud or something like that

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club