Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Differences

Rogue2

Actually most modern 3 cylinder engines won't vibrate, because of the use of a balancing shaft.

Ford went a bit further like Paramanic mentions and simply unbalanced the rest of the engine on purpose. The idea is that a 3 cylinder engine is inherently unbalanced, but if the components of the engine is unbalanced in the direct opposite direction, the two unbalances will cancel each other out.

The reason why this is genius, is because a balancing shaft takes up power, which results in less horsepower and worse fuel consumption - Ford doesn't need such a one because of their design.

You'll also notice, if you compare the 1.0 ecoboost to other small turbo petrol engines, that ecoboost produces more power for its size (Renault has a 0.9 which produces around 90ps for instance).

So in short: The engine won't vibrate :)

The ford engine is quite smooth, it uses a flywheel that is weighted to smooth out the imbalance of the engine, this is more efficient than using a balancer shaft.

Thanks for all the info guys, I cannot wait to test drive one!

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine & he said that the 3 cylinder engines vibrate all the time & that I might find it annoying. Is this true?

He has not driven a ecoboost yet, just the other manufacturers versions.

I am hoping to test drive an ecoboost fiesta soon, but just wanted to know so I am prepared.

Typical of a person who hasn't driven an ecoboost 3 cylinder.

I don't take any notice of him (my brother) anyway. I like to find out for myself what the cars drive like.

Just went to try a Focus 1.6 150ps today, it's honestly not that much faster than the Fiesta 125ps, so I'm gonna stick with my Fiesta for now.

You can get a Focus with the same 200PS engine as the Fiesta ST, I don't know how much more expensive that is over the 150, but I bet that will be pretty quick.

At last, I am going on my test drive in an ecoboost fiesta on Sunday (judgement day!) then I will decide when to upgrade.

You can get a Focus with the same 200PS engine as the Fiesta ST, I don't know how much more expensive that is over the 150, but I bet that will be pretty quick.

Its 180PS (without overboost) -

The Focus is a bit heavier than the Fiesta

Fiesta ST (ecoboost 180PS) - 0-60mph 6.7 seconds

Focus 1.6 ecoboost 180PS - 0-60mph - 7.9 seconds

there is quite a big difference between 6.7 and 7.9 seconds to 60,(more than you might think) the Focus is still quick, though

The ST is liable to have better economy, too

Its 180PS (without overboost) -

The Focus is a bit heavier than the Fiesta

Fiesta ST (ecoboost 180PS) - 0-60mph 6.7 seconds

Focus 1.6 ecoboost 180PS - 0-60mph - 7.9 seconds

there is quite a big difference between 6.7 and 7.9 seconds to 60,(more than you might think) the Focus is still quick, though

The ST is liable to have better economy, too

Yes I agree, I just said 200PS because I don't agree with the silly EU rule that stops them advertising the overboost figure. And I thought the ST 0-60 was meant to be 6.9, which is why I was impressed to see the Focus was only a second slower. But you're right that would still be a noticeable difference.

The economy is an interesting point becuase I think they have about the same economy figures, but obviously weight doesn't affect these if it's all calculated on a rolling road. So some people might buy it thinking they will get nearly 50 mpg but they might struggle to get much more than 30.

I went on the test drive in a 1.0T ecoboost (125PS) fiesta & I really liked it, it was so smooth to drive & quiet. I just need to get the cash together now (hopefully).

I would go with the 125 PS every time.

My friend has a 100 PS one and I have the 125 PS. When you push it, you will feel the difference.

It's not night and day, but I bet you will regret not getting the extra 25 PS.

Save till you can afford it. It's a really great car..

I have a question on the Ecoboost engines in generally.

They are 1.0 liter engines with 3 cilinders and a turbo on it, am I right ? :huh:

If you can pull 100 or even 125 PS out of such a small engine, does it go "skyhigh" in its RPM's or what ?

Doesn't that result in earlier engine wear out, so you need more maintenance on it ? :unsure:

I know the Ecoboosts are "state of the art" and "hightech" with lots of electronics, but will they hold in the "long run" ? :unsure:

The first SMART engines (800 cc with turbo) only lasted for 40000 kms, and then they had to be replaced. :(

I hope you don't see this as a stupid question, but I was just wondering.... :o

It has quite tall gears, so it actually takes a bit to get used to it.

Usually you will be driving a gear lower than you normally would until 50+ mph.

I don't know about wear of the engine, but the maintenance is like any other car.

I doubt it will be a problem, but let's see!

It's not a stupid question Peter, actually a good one. I think the amount of power from the Ecoboost is just due to advances in technology, and adding a turbo always makes a big difference. The engine can be designed to handle the extra power - it probably has some more durable components than a non-turbo 1.0L engine would have. So I wouldn't worry about it wearing out. They have the same service schedule as other Fords (1 year or 12,500 miles) I think. Some other turbo cars which get even more power per litre need to be serviced more often e.g. Mitsubishi Evo, so I think this says something about Ford's confidence in the engine. Also let's not forget the Red & Black edition Fiestas which get 140 PS from the same engine, so if Ford are happy that the engine can cope with that, then 125 PS should be no problem at all.

:D :D :D :D :D :D And that's why FORD has won serveral prized for "ENGINE OF THE YEAR" on these Ecoboosts !! :D :D :D :D :D :D

• 3 years later...

Wot everybody forgets is you have to rev this engine way beyond 4500 rpm to get any decent performance out it defelting the object of achieving good mpg 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room, the 1.0 138/140.

I would of thought adding a lot of power to a small 1 litre petrol engine would decrease its life expectancy. I'm interested how technology has improved to reduce engine vibration from these small engines. On my previous 1 litre 3 cylinder car it would just vibrate when idling. If I came off a motorway or dual carriage way and stop at lights it idles smoothly. With my 1.6 diesel 4 cylinder there is a difference in smoothness. 

The 1.0 EcoBoost is starting to show is fragile nature, regardless of the power it's running. There are occasional threads here - the rust one makes for an interesting read!

Just to add on the new verses old - if you note the engine problems on the  "2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?" thread the new 2018 Ecoboost engine is revised so hopefully they have solved the overheating problems, so it may be worth buying new.

5 hours ago, zain611 said:

I would of thought adding a lot of power to a small 1 litre petrol engine would decrease its life expectancy. I'm interested how technology has improved to reduce engine vibration from these small engines. On my previous 1 litre 3 cylinder car it would just vibrate when idling. If I came off a motorway or dual carriage way and stop at lights it idles smoothly. With my 1.6 diesel 4 cylinder there is a difference in smoothness. 

I've always considered the ecoboost a throwaway engine. I also say on a "normal" engine that for every 100cc, there should be no more than 10hp for the engine to not be under constant heavy load. So the 1.0L should have 100hp under that rule. Obviously high performance engines are built better, so that can't really apply.

Anyway I heard the life expectancy is around 100,000 miles for the ecoboost and that a timing chain change, well you might aswell get a new engine.

I still find it amazing how an engine with a block the size of an a4 piece of paper produces 140hp.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

I've always considered the ecoboost a throwaway engine. I also say on a "normal" engine that for every 100cc, there should be no more than 10hp for the engine to not be under constant heavy load. So the 1.0L should have 100hp under that rule. Obviously high performance engines are built better, so that can't really apply.

Anyway I heard the life expectancy is around 100,000 miles for the ecoboost and that a timing chain change, well you might aswell get a new engine.

I still find it amazing how an engine with a block the size of an a4 piece of paper produces 140hp.

I got my Peugeot 107 1 litre with 104k miles back then as my first car. Only thing I've noticed (compared to 3 of my dad's friends who have the same car) is you can hear tapping from the tapets when the engine is cold. Apart from that it drove nicely. Changing gears was so light that you can just use a finger. Work that was done were radiator (one of the previous owners used stop leak to stop the radiator from leaking), catalytic converter, battery and clutch. Back then I'd boot it whenever I'd feel warm air coming from the air vents as that car had no coolant gauge and I was a new driver so thought warm air ment the engine was warmed up. Sold it in July to a guy who said was getting it for his daughter as she crashed her first car and wrote off a 16 plate audi TT. The car only did about 800 miles since the clutch change but was happy that he was happy by looking at the service paperwork:smile:. Just sad that I came across a cheat of a seller when I was looking for the fiesta. 

These cars came with 68hp and a 14 second 0-60 time which looks slow compared to the newer ecoboost 1 litres in the new fords. Only thing I'd say the older 1 litres benefit from is a little more better claimed mpg. Fifth gear also raced the 1 litre ecoboost focus to the 1.6 petrol one and the 1 litre beat it:ohmy:

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

As the timing belt change on an ecoboost is 150,000 miles/10 years Ford claim the engine life is at least 150,000. In reality (as we’re now seeing), it’s a lot less in some cases!

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

Fifth gear also raced the 1 litre ecoboost focus to the 1.6 petrol one and the 1 litre beat it:ohmy:

They would have had them both pinned to the max though, it's amazing what you can do with a turbo! In the real world the 1.6L would be more practical. Pulling away at 50mph in 5th gear and the focus would win any day. Do it in third and then yeah the ecoboost may pull away. Then again you then lose all of the mpg gains Ford advertise.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club