• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
  • Year: 2014

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hi,

Looking to buy a new Fiesta. Saw that there are two models of the 1.2, one with 60ps and one with 82ps. I only test drove the 82, which was fine for my needs. The 60ps is a bit cheaper (£500). It also seems as if most of them out there are 82 - I haven't seen any used 60ps.

Will there be a noticable difference between the two? Also, would getting the 60ps one make it harder to sell later on?

Cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Not sure about resale value, but I know a few people with the 82bhp models and they ALL say they think it feels underpowered.... So if you've drove one and feel it meets your needs, then this is definitely the model to go for, you would REALLY feel the difference in bhp, especially at this level (small engine) so in my opinion, the 60bhp model would be a bad choice.

#3 jvhc

jvhc

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

Ok, thanks. How come some of the smaller engines have so much more BHP? There's a 1.0 with 80PS and an 1.0 Ecoboost engine that goes up to 125PS. Would it be better to get a smaller engine with more bhp, or a larger engine with less bhp?

#4 matt1981

matt1981

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Name: matt
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

The ecoboost engines are turbocharged, hence the higher bhp. They really are great engines and worth the extra money.

Unless you will only be popping to the local shops, definitely pay for the 82bhp version and not the 60 if you will be getting the 1.2

#5 Adam1991

Adam1991

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Name: Adam
  • Ford Model: 2014 1.0 ecoboost Zetec ford fiesta

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I test drove the 1.2 but the ecoboost felt fantastic. Such a quick little engine and seems to be very capable of all types of driving ( of maybe could do with a little more power for the longer runs ) but with the amount you'll be paying, I wouldnt bother with anything less than the 1l ecoboost. :) maybe a bit biased as that's the one I should be picking up in a day or so haha

#6 potter18

potter18

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Name: alan
  • Ford Model: fiesta
  • Year: 2013

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Go for the ecoboost 100ps min they're great little engines can cope with motorway and city driving (although you may find its best to keep it in third at 30mph around town) and have good economy

#7 jvhc

jvhc

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Unfortunately I don't think I can afford the Ecoboost engines! Will have to go for the 1.2 82hp. Thanks guys!

#8 blade

blade

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name: Robert
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7
  • Year: 2009

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

I personally feel that 1.25 (82) Fiesta is not that underpowered, its just an oldschool engine in a "newschool" car, sure, it wont break any speed records, but could be preety nippy, if you know how to drive it......

#9 Zico

Zico

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Name: Yasin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec (100bhp)

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

I would try and save/stretch for the Ecoboost 100bhp at a minimum. Serving me well so far at just under 4500 miles :D

#10 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

The 1.25 is ok for round town, going down the shops, driving in urban areas etc  

Weight comes into it, if you are 1-up and are a 7-stone woman, it may be ok, but 4-up with luggage or a larger body tipe will sap the modest power/ torque - its going to struggle uphill or overtaking on B-roads etc  

Underpowered cars can be dangerous, in my opinion

the 1.25, apart from the modest power/ torque, has a flaw in the power curve (see graph) -

http://www.superchip...estaMk61.25.pdf

At about 4.3k there is a "plateo" in the power curve, untill about 5k,  this is known as a "flat spot" - it is right in the middle of the power curve and spits the power curve betwen 2k to 4.3k, and 5k to 6k, the engine only produces 105Nm of torque, (about 77.4ft-lbs) that would be good for a motorcycle (pullng a fraction of the weight of a car) but hopeless for a modern car

in contrast the ecoboost 100ps has no bad flaws in the power corve and pulls smoothley from under 2k to over 6k, with a steady rise with no flat spots or plateos in the curve,

the ecoboost (100ps) torque at 3k is 170nm (thats 125ft-lbs) a lot more than the NA 1.25

http://www.mybluefin...oBoost100PS.pdf

Superchips dyno figures -

Fiesta mk6.5 - 1.25cc - 78Hp   105Nm 77.4 ft-lbs

Ecoboost 1.0 100ps -   112Hp 170Nm 125 ft-lbs

Even not taking the 1.25s, flaw vs the ecoboosts "flawless" power curve, the ecoboost has a fair bit more power (more than the peak figures suggest)  and a whole lot more torque/ flexibility and "nippyness" 

the ecoboost will hold its value better too

So unless you just need somthing to run around town/ go down to the shops (a town car) i would avoid the NA (Naturally Asperated/ non-turbo) 1.25cc and go for the ecoboost 100ps or 125ps as in my opinion the 1.25 is underpowered for anything but around town/ 1(light person)-up or as a 1st car  

#11 Zico

Zico

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Name: Yasin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec (100bhp)

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

What Foca said :)

#12 Ecoboost125

Ecoboost125

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0T 100 Titanium X 3dr

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Or could you not go for the normal 1.0 non ecoboost 80bhp version best of both worlds no??

#13 jvhc

jvhc

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

Thanks guys, lots of information!

Or could you not go for the normal 1.0 non ecoboost 80bhp version best of both worlds no??

Best of both worlds? The 1.0 non-Ecoboost 80bhp is better than the 1.25 80bhp?

#14 Ecoboost125

Ecoboost125

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0T 100 Titanium X 3dr

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

Dont know just a suggestion:)

#15 PaddyWhack

PaddyWhack

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Name: paddy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec Ecoboost
  • Year: 2013

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

All good baring the 60bhp spec. You will feel like a liability on a the roads and you have to really work the engine to get anything from it, wrecking your fuel consumption. Go Ecoboost if you can afford it. If not, the 82bhp engine will serve you well. 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users