Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horsepower Question

jvhc

Hi,

Looking to buy a new Fiesta. Saw that there are two models of the 1.2, one with 60ps and one with 82ps. I only test drove the 82, which was fine for my needs. The 60ps is a bit cheaper (£500). It also seems as if most of them out there are 82 - I haven't seen any used 60ps.

Will there be a noticable difference between the two? Also, would getting the 60ps one make it harder to sell later on?

Cheers

Not sure about resale value, but I know a few people with the 82bhp models and they ALL say they think it feels underpowered.... So if you've drove one and feel it meets your needs, then this is definitely the model to go for, you would REALLY feel the difference in bhp, especially at this level (small engine) so in my opinion, the 60bhp model would be a bad choice.

Ok, thanks. How come some of the smaller engines have so much more BHP? There's a 1.0 with 80PS and an 1.0 Ecoboost engine that goes up to 125PS. Would it be better to get a smaller engine with more bhp, or a larger engine with less bhp?

The ecoboost engines are turbocharged, hence the higher bhp. They really are great engines and worth the extra money.

Unless you will only be popping to the local shops, definitely pay for the 82bhp version and not the 60 if you will be getting the 1.2

I test drove the 1.2 but the ecoboost felt fantastic. Such a quick little engine and seems to be very capable of all types of driving ( of maybe could do with a little more power for the longer runs ) but with the amount you'll be paying, I wouldnt bother with anything less than the 1l ecoboost. :) maybe a bit biased as that's the one I should be picking up in a day or so haha

Go for the ecoboost 100ps min they're great little engines can cope with motorway and city driving (although you may find its best to keep it in third at 30mph around town) and have good economy

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't think I can afford the Ecoboost engines! Will have to go for the 1.2 82hp. Thanks guys!

I personally feel that 1.25 (82) Fiesta is not that underpowered, its just an oldschool engine in a "newschool" car, sure, it wont break any speed records, but could be preety nippy, if you know how to drive it......

The 1.25 is ok for round town, going down the shops, driving in urban areas etc

Weight comes into it, if you are 1-up and are a 7-stone woman, it may be ok, but 4-up with luggage or a larger body tipe will sap the modest power/ torque - its going to struggle uphill or overtaking on B-roads etc

Underpowered cars can be dangerous, in my opinion

the 1.25, apart from the modest power/ torque, has a flaw in the power curve (see graph) -

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/FiestaMk61.25.pdf

At about 4.3k there is a "plateo" in the power curve, untill about 5k, this is known as a "flat spot" - it is right in the middle of the power curve and spits the power curve betwen 2k to 4.3k, and 5k to 6k, the engine only produces 105Nm of torque, (about 77.4ft-lbs) that would be good for a motorcycle (pullng a fraction of the weight of a car) but hopeless for a modern car

in contrast the ecoboost 100ps has no bad flaws in the power corve and pulls smoothley from under 2k to over 6k, with a steady rise with no flat spots or plateos in the curve,

the ecoboost (100ps) torque at 3k is 170nm (thats 125ft-lbs) a lot more than the NA 1.25

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/FiestaEcoBoost100PS.pdf

Superchips dyno figures -

Fiesta mk6.5 - 1.25cc - 78Hp 105Nm 77.4 ft-lbs

Ecoboost 1.0 100ps - 112Hp 170Nm 125 ft-lbs

Even not taking the 1.25s, flaw vs the ecoboosts "flawless" power curve, the ecoboost has a fair bit more power (more than the peak figures suggest) and a whole lot more torque/ flexibility and "nippyness"

the ecoboost will hold its value better too

So unless you just need somthing to run around town/ go down to the shops (a town car) i would avoid the NA (Naturally Asperated/ non-turbo) 1.25cc and go for the ecoboost 100ps or 125ps as in my opinion the 1.25 is underpowered for anything but around town/ 1(light person)-up or as a 1st car

Or could you not go for the normal 1.0 non ecoboost 80bhp version best of both worlds no??

Thanks guys, lots of information!

Or could you not go for the normal 1.0 non ecoboost 80bhp version best of both worlds no??

Best of both worlds? The 1.0 non-Ecoboost 80bhp is better than the 1.25 80bhp?

All good baring the 60bhp spec. You will feel like a liability on a the roads and you have to really work the engine to get anything from it, wrecking your fuel consumption. Go Ecoboost if you can afford it. If not, the 82bhp engine will serve you well.

Since this is my first car i opted for the 80bhp 1.0. Its nippy enough for my needs and handles the motorway pretty well. Although the eco boost would be a lovely extra ^_^ maybe my next car.

If you can stretch your budget to one of the ecoboost models, I suspect they may also be easier to sell on later. I have the 100HP one which is more than adequate for my needs (I was on the German autobahn yesterday with it). Sure there are a few times when I think the 125HP would have been better but they are so few I don't get upset over it - and usually only when some expensive Merc passes me. The Ecoboost may even save you money on your fuel bills, even my car which is not fully run in yet is getting about 45mpg minimum in mixed driving which recently has included lots of really bad traffic. On the motorway it is very fuel efficient.

The reviews I saw for the older engines said they were ok but in general were significantly surpassed by the new ecoboost ones. So far I have been very happy with my car and it's been taken on a couple of longish runs in a few European countries with vastly differing road quality and speed limits without any problem.