Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suspect Clutch, Only In 5/6Th Gears

duluxdoggy

i bought my 2006 2.0 tdci 130 (6sp) mondeo 18 months ago, with history including new clutch, at 79,000 miles reading thru the invoice, and after phoning the garage that fitted it, they fitted a single mass flywheel kit, it is now on 102,000 miles and it has started slipping, but only in the top two gears, and when it slips the cruise control gets disengaged automaticly

1. should a kit wear out in 20,000 miles, maybe a little bit of spirited driving on the odd occasion ( ok, maybe a little more often than that!!) no towing at all,

2. is it the clutch at all, could ther be any other problems causing this.

and my 3rd question was should i fit a single mass kit, and what are the drawbacks of it, but since i started typing this post i found out i already have one.... so i guess i dont have to worry about that

I have just had my 55 plate 2ltr clutch fly wheel and slave cylinder changed for the first time (148k miles) had the dual mass replaced for another dual mass. Did tonnes of research on the single kit and the general consensus was to go for the dual. The main points against the single were aimed at the driving style. You have to change your driving style because the single mass can feel quite harsh. The dual absorbs hard acceleration very well, protecting the longevity of the mechanics of the car whereas the single has an instant impact which is great fun but long term effects could lead to premature failure of parts. Ask yourself, can you be a true driver (alonso) or mr smooth (jenson)????

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I have just had my 55 plate 2ltr clutch fly wheel and slave cylinder changed for the first time (148k miles) had the dual mass replaced for another dual mass. Did tonnes of research on the single kit and the general consensus was to go for the dual. The main points against the single were aimed at the driving style. You have to change your driving style because the single mass can feel quite harsh. The dual absorbs hard acceleration very well, protecting the longevity of the mechanics of the car whereas the single has an instant impact which is great fun but long term effects could lead to premature failure of parts. Ask yourself, can you be a true driver (alonso) or mr smooth (jenson)????

i can see your point, but given the fact that im already used to the fixed setup, and it is £500 instead of £700 to fix it i cant justify the extra cost,

but the main thing im asking is why is it only slipping in the top 2 gears

And is it under hard acceleration or on a gear change?

When it slips, does it squeak aswell?

no, when accelerating in 5/6 from about 2k rpm (not flat out, but moderate throttle) the reps start to climb, but the speed gradually inccreases, but when i back off the throttle, the revs drop back to what would be expected for that given speed

And is it under hard acceleration or on a gear change?

this. but not really hard acceleration, but it is making it a lot harder to overtake anything,

i gfet full positive drive under very hard acceleration in the first 4 gears tho, and that is what is baffling me,

Weird. I had that when I first owned mine. Bought it in jan and it did the very same thing from 2nd to 3rd, revved like mad but got nowhere. 9k miles later the clutch went on the wife whilst in the middle of rush hour traffic in the centre of Cheltenham. We live in Norfolk! Not the best place to let go. I would say it's worth getting the clutch checked at least just in case. If you have a mr clutch near you, it's gotta be worth a phone call at least.

Worth noting tho that the clutch pedal started to go soft on certain inclines. I found out from one chap on here that there's a good reason, clutch fluid was leaking although the brake-clutch reservoir was full. The reservoirs are separate and it's not easy to tell if there's a leak or not.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club