Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav

chrisp

Hey everyone

As this is my first car that I am getting on Saturday (after having driven for over five years!), I have decided its time to buy a sat nav as I am going to be working in unkown areas from august. Does anyone know of any decent deals on at the moment. The best one I have found on a tom tom is this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...xt%3ETOMTOM.htm

but I am not sure if this is an old model? Just saying that as this model is on argos too, anyone know the difference?

Also, Garmin have a lot of offers on theirs at load sof outlets but are they any good or is it worth sticking with tom tom?

THanks for help =)

Hey everyone

As this is my first car that I am getting on Saturday (after having driven for over five years!), I have decided its time to buy a sat nav as I am going to be working in unkown areas from august. Does anyone know of any decent deals on at the moment. The best one I have found on a tom tom is this one

but I am not sure if this is an old model? Just saying that as this model is on argos too, anyone know the difference?

Also, Garmin have a lot of offers on theirs at load sof outlets but are they any good or is it worth sticking with tom tom?

THanks for help =)

Hi chrisp, I've had a tomtom One for a while now and I think they are probably the easiest to use out of the satnavs I've tried. I have no idea which version it is, they all look the same! Although from one of the reviews it looks like it's not the old, old model.

The TomTom's are pretty quick to redirect you if you take a wrong turn although occasionally mine does take a few minutes to pick up a signal from cold.

we had a satnav in work (WHSmith's) the other week for £69.99 which the went down to £55. however i've never heard of the brand. i nearly bought one (with a healthy dose of discount) but i just don't really need one.

my dads got a navman and that seems really good, just as quick and usable as my girlfriends tomtom.

If you've never owned a sat nav before, I'd like to add, its nice to have one with a bigger screen.

I got my first satnav, the Navman 4 1/2" at Easter. It has lane direction thing which just shows you which lane you should be in. I used it to drive to Orpington yesterday. I have no idea where it was but Sat Nav took me there from North London without any fuss. If you do get a bit lost or take the wrong route, Sat Nav will guide you back on track. Mine doesn't update automatically like the Tom Tom so I will change it in a few months, but currently it is fine. I would recommend, a large screen, bluetooth (so you can make calls via the Sat Nav if you haven't got bluetooth in your car) and lane indications. I got mine from Halfords for £99 at Easter. The Tom Tom 740 live (I think) does do this but at a huge cost. They might still be doing a good deal at Halfords so check them out. Good luck.

I use the OH PDA with tomtom Navigator 6 but it's out of date now and they have stopped the map updates cheers tomtom :(

I have the tomtom One, had it for 2 1/2 years, had a Garmin before that. Prefer the tomtom. My bf bought a new Garmin recently and I tried it out but my preference was still for the TT. It's such a life saver for me as I travel all over the place for my work.

My only gripe with the tomtom is the windscreen mount, it kept falling off! I now have a universal mount which is great. I believe however that TT now has a different mount.

In answer to the original post though, the first one looks like a really good deal.

Garmin, navman, tom tom which is best? Do you have to pay for updates and/or Safety Camera Alerts?

It all comes down to personal preference. Some of them come with safety cameras. The new tomtom live services gives you traffic updates amongst other things, however, it's a monthly subscription.

I hate paying a monthly subscription for anything. so if you dont pay, your sat nav with be out of date fairly quick.

No, it's only for traffic updates and re-routing. The reviews tended to say this would only be useful if you heavily use the motorways - probably salesmen and the like. You can pay for map updates but personally I have never bothered. The newer tomtom's have a feature called mapshare where you post any changes in the road layouts. Not quite sure how it works but it sounds like a good idea.

I hate paying a monthly subscription for anything. so if you dont pay, your sat nav with be out of date fairly quick.

Thats probably true,except, that you either pay a small monthly fee for updates or keep buying new sat nav's every year till your spare room looks like Halfords at christmas,and possibly cost you more that the updates would have.I have a Tom Tom and its brilliant,although its about 4 years old now and only has G.B maps,so I might be looking at a replacement with E.U maps maybe next year when I plan to go for a long overdue holiday back to switerland (counting penny's in piggy bank and looking down sofa for roman coins, dubloons, pieces of eight to fund said sat nav and holiday)

I've just bought a new unit - had a Tom Tom before and purchased another one. The latest version of the ONE is v4 - it's worth having over v3 because the mount folds to the back of the unit and fits in the case attached, so there is no mount left in the car to encourage thieves.

I find Tom Tom the most no-nonsense sat navs, full of useful features.

I used amazon - good prices. I picked up a full Europe model for £140ish, the UK only is cheaper...

TomTom One V4 on Amazon

I've just bought a new unit - had a Tom Tom before and purchased another one. The latest version of the ONE is v4 - it's worth having over v3 because the mount folds to the back of the unit and fits in the case attached, so there is no mount left in the car to encourage thieves.

I find Tom Tom the most no-nonsense sat navs, full of useful features.

I used Amazon - good prices. I picked up a full Europe model for £140ish, the UK only is cheaper...

TomTom One V4 on Amazon

I was looking at that one but then noticed the screen is small, is it better to get the 4.3 inch screen, is this the tomtom xl?

I can't say I ever wish for a bigger screen. I concentrate on the spoken instructions I think - eyes on the road!

It partly depends on where you put it - it seems that most people put their satnav in the middle of the car. I prefer to have mine in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, which makes it slightly closer and means it isn't a distraction when driving normally. At the same time, this means you have to look away from the road to see it, so it's all swings and roundabouts!

Has the battery life improved on the Tom Toms. Bought a Garmin a few years ago which was excellent but the main benefit was the battery would last around 4 hrs, so no need to have it plugged in.

Can't say I've ever tried it on battery, I always run the satnav on the charger.

The battery is cr@p, I always have mine on the charger, otherwise it runs out half way through the journey!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club