Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mountune Mp215 Review

Phil 87

I've had the MP215 upgrade for a week now so it's finally time for the review. Hopefully I can help some of you decide if it's worth the money. I had the upgrade done at my nearest Ford dealer and it cost £677 including fitting.

First let's talk about the performance. We all know that Mountune claim the MP215 gives an extra 15 PS and 30 Nm, so that's +7.5% power and +10% torque. I haven't had the car on a rolling road yet so I'll take their word for it, but as you might expect the difference is quite subtle. The extra torque in higher gears is what is most noticeable; 5th and 6th especially seem to pull a bit better. Also to me it feels more urgent, I don't know if that's because of better throttle response or less turbo lag, but in 3rd it seems to pick up more suddenly when I floor it. It's hard to be more specific without having a standard car to jump into and compare but it certainly feels a bit quicker.

Then there's my favoirite part, the sound. It's becoming addictive driving around with the windows down just to hear the turbo whoosh (or is that the intake?) and the hiss of the recirc valve, both of which seem more pronounced than on the standard car. It makes me want to get wind deflectors just so I can always hear the engine in all its glory. The problem is with the windows up there isn't a huge difference compared to the standard car, except the engine note sounds a bit deeper at very low revs. The noise from the Sound Symposer sounds more or less the same; it still sounds great but the whooshing and hissing sounds are much more muted, or inaudible. You'll sometimes be able to hear the turbo whine especially when flooring it in 4th, and sometimes there's a faint hiss from the recirc valve, but I wish the symposer could bring in more of the sound that can be heard from the outside. That's a minor issue though, and I know some of you might prefer to not be bombarded with loud engine noises when you're just trying to get home from work.

As for normal driving, it doesn't feel any different to me until I put my foot down. The remap doesn't seem to have had any unwanted effects, and the car is still just as easy to drive around town as any other Fiesta. And more good news, the economy doesn't seem to have suffered at all; I got 36 MPG (measured from filling up) over the whole week which is around my average, and this is with Shell V-Power. That was 300 miles of varying road types including at least 100 miles on the motorway.

The only thing that's missing is the yellow Mountune badge, which I've been told will take about 4 weeks to arrive. The car feels incomplete somehow without it, and I want other hot-hatch owners to see it and be jealous of my slightly faster car.

So now the question is, is this upgrade worth £600+? For me I think it is, especailly with the warranty. It just feels like this is how the standard car should be, and I know if this was a £600 option from the factory I would have taken it no question. For others it might not be worth it because of how subtle the difference in power is. For some reason I was expecting it to be a really noticeable difference, probably because everyone's been raving about it including the magazines. I think it's down to personal opinion in the end, and I'm not going to urge everyone to go and get this upgrade. Overall I'm happy with the MP215, and I hope I've been able to explain what it's like. It makes me want to drive the car even more often, and I guess that's the best endorsement I can give it.

• Like 1

you can make the engine noise a little more throaty if you take the little grey sponge out of the sound symposer pipe. great review and glad your enjoying the mp215. #yellowcustard

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

you can make the engine noise a little more throaty if you take the little grey sponge out of the sound symposer pipe.

I might try that some time :)

it's not a great improvement . but does make it sound a little louder when accelerating

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Good review need to get a meet organised now and battle it out against standard before we all jump on the band wagon and get it done :)

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

Good review need to get a meet organised now and battle it out against standard before we all jump on the band wagon and get it done :)

Yeah we just need to find someone who owns their own runway so we can do some drag racing :driving:

Thanks for your detailed review...it pretty much validates my decision to leave my car standard.

Though I do hope you're being tongue-in-cheek with the comment re the badge 'I want other hot-hatch owners to see it and be jealous of my slightly faster car.' Really??!!

But great that you're enjoying it, I'll be joining the ST club on Monday :)

Though I do hope you're being tongue-in-cheek with the comment re the badge 'I want other hot-hatch owners to see it and be jealous of my slightly faster car.' Really??!!

Yes I was trying to be sarcastic, but that's not so easy in writing and I didn't want to ruin the review by putting a smiley in the middle of it ;) . Although some people probably do have that opinion about a little badge on their car, it's not so different to Ford putting a big "ST" on the back instead of "Fiesta".

There are loads of Mountune badges on eBay if you really can't wait :)

There are loads of Mountune badges on Ebay if you really can't wait :)

Some of them are going for silly money.

There are loads of Mountune badges on Ebay if you really can't wait :)

I'd rather wait for the real thing. The sad thing is I bet I'll see some other STs with the badge but a lot of them will be fake.

That guy annoys me, the stickers he is selling are all part of a sheet Mountune sell for £7, they have even put up an add on eBay to sabotage his sales lol

I can recall seeing a Focus ST at Profile Automotive which someone had bought as a MP260 complete with the badges but sadly not running the Mountune map, more likely to be one from Dreamscience I was told.

Unfortunately for the buyer the car also had lots of dodgy paintwork and an unpainted front slam panel so there were more horrors hiding under the skin too :(

Does the upgrade kit for the Fiesta include a bigger airbox/intake or lid? this is probably what would let you hear the turbo and recirc valve more than before.

Does the upgrade kit for the Fiesta include a bigger airbox/intake or lid? this is probably what would let you hear the turbo and recirc valve more than before.

Yes it has a custom airbox with high-flow filter and porous lower air feed hose, so I guess that's where some of the extra noise comes from. And as a friend of mine pointed out, if the remap increases the boost then that would make the recirc valve louder too if there's more pressure involved, but I don't know what the remap does to be honest.

• 1 year later...

@Phil 87 thanks for this review - it was one (of several) that I read prior to getting my ST and deciding to get the MP215. I've now had the upgrade for a week and my feelings about the upgrade (review here) are very much the same as yours.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I loved the review but have to also add, over standard there is a difference and one that doesn't go unnoticed. I have the symposer (sp) blocked and still love the low down noise it makes even more so since i added the Mountune Cat back system to go with the 215 kit.

The mid to low range torque over standard is a huge improvement in my view.

If it's pure power then Peron or similar is the way to go but while your car is in warranty and you want to keep that then it has to be Mountune all the way.

I will be adding Voodoo/Peron stage 2 possibly 3 in time

• 3 months later...
I loved the review but have to also add, over standard there is a difference and one that doesn't go unnoticed. I have the symposer (sp) blocked and still love the low down noise it makes even more so since i added the Mountune Cat back system to go with the 215 kit.
The mid to low range torque over standard is a huge improvement in my view.

If it's pure power then Peron or similar is the way to go but while your car is in warranty and you want to keep that then it has to be Mountune all the way.

I will be adding Voodoo/Peron stage 2 possibly 3 in time

@Phil 87 thanks for this review - it was one (of several) that I read prior to getting my ST and deciding to get the MP215. I've now had the upgrade for a week and my feelings abothezzz upgrade (review here) are very much the same as yours.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’m thinking of mountune route although at the local dyno centre the Celtic tuning remap made more power at nearly half the price than a mountune. What’s everyone’s thought. 

5AAF2E21-D5AB-42BB-86F5-706CD63B051F.png

the Mountune kit makes 212bhp, and 236lbsft, they've quoted the standard cars non overboost bhp and overboost torque figure, so they've either not dynos a standard car or if they did it performed better than the quoted figures.

there are also more well known tuners who offer even more power/torque than that for less than Mountune. if your cars out of warranty then maybe Mountune isn't for you.

I thought the figures were 182PS/240Nm (200PS/290Nm on overboost) for the standard car and 215PS/320Nm for the MP215?

• 4 years later...

Good review buddy, thank you. I'm definitely going to buy one now. John

• Sad 1