Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Focus - diesel vs. petrol

T&P

Hi everyone, I'm new (and female) so go easy on me!

Just about to trade in my 56 Focus 2.0 Zetec petrol for a new one. The question is, whether to go for diesel or not? Most things I have read, and most of the opinions of others suggest I should get diesel. I do 250+ miles a week, mainly in rush hours, so half of it is stop/start traffic and half of it is clear motorway speeds. This is obviously a fair amount of mileage and I know that although a diesel car costs more to buy, in the long run it will probably save me money.

My worries are regarding performance. Obviously my 2 litre is no supercar but I love it, especially after driving several B reg 1100 Fiestas for years :) Although it doesn't pull away that quick it has a nice amount of power further up the gears and can really shift sometimes! I've heard good and bad things about diesels and was wondering if anyone could tell me (in fairly simple terms :) ) how they would compare? I'm looking at the 1.8 or 2.0 diesel versus the 2.0 petrol.

I'd rather lose out on economy than performance, not very sensible I know but I love driving!

Thanks in advance.

Just about to trade in my 56 Focus 2.0 Zetec petrol for a new one. The question is, whether to go for diesel or not? Most things I have read, and most of the opinions of others suggest I should get diesel. I do 250+ miles a week, mainly in rush hours, so half of it is stop/start traffic and half of it is clear motorway speeds. This is obviously a fair amount of mileage and I know that although a diesel car costs more to buy, in the long run it will probably save me money.

My worries are regarding performance. Obviously my 2 litre is no supercar but I love it, especially after driving several B reg 1100 Fiestas for years :) Although it doesn't pull away that quick it has a nice amount of power further up the gears and can really shift sometimes! I've heard good and bad things about diesels and was wondering if anyone could tell me (in fairly simple terms :) ) how they would compare? I'm looking at the 1.8 or 2.0 diesel versus the 2.0 petrol.

I'd rather lose out on economy than performance, not very sensible I know but I love driving!

Thanks in advance.

i have the diesel. do a poll on it

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the 1.8 Petrol. 125bhp. New focus. 58 plate. Amazing power but CRAP on fuel. Mine's doing around 20MPG around town. And that's economy drive. Highest gear possible without labouring the engine. But Cardiff is a busy town so... that could be the problem. Motorway it's AMAZING if you keep it at 70 or under. But town is a no go for the petrols. The 1.6 will be a bit better, but not much, the 2.0 may be worse. Get a diesel. 1.8 diesel maybe your best bet.

• 9 months later...

a 2.0 tdci would mince a 2.0 petrol in gear ANYDAY , thy are a brilliant engine very quite aswell

a 2.0 tdci would mince a 2.0 petrol in gear ANYDAY , thy are a brilliant engine very quite aswell

In terms of long distance runs and fuel economy a diesel would be better. Also remember that the torque of the diesel makes it a more pleasureable and relaxing driving experience. If you are not the type who likes to red line a car than the diesel would suit you fine. I'd go for the 2.0 as its a much more refined unit than the 1.8 as well as being a more modern design. The only worry I would have with a modern diesel is its reliability. They seem to have a lot that can go wrong and when it does its very expensive (dmf, dpf injectors etc.) If you are buying new/dealer at least you will have the security of a warranty but buying used private maybe risky. I have a 2.0 TDCI Focus and whilst its a good car I hope nothing goes wrong as my wallet would be a lot lighter. At least with a petrol they appear to be simpler to diagnose and cheaper to fix.

The 2.0 engine itself (if you go for it) will not win you many traffic light grand prix's as its not the quickest off the line but its very good in the mid range and even in 6th on the motorway will pull and pull.

I have the 1.8TDCI MKII and all I can say is this:

Get the 2.0 diesel or the 1.6. Far more refined and quieter!

I have a 1.6 tdci. First diesel for many years. It's a different driving style, and overall I'd say where you may miss the traditional revvy petrol 'feel', it's compensated for by the torque in the midrange. I notice it's quiet at speed due to the relatively low revs compared to an equiv sized petrol, but at idle you won't forget it's a diesel - it doesn't feel 'refined' or 'purr' like a good petrol engine does.

I suggest you test drive one an see if you think you prefer it or not.

I have a 1.6 TDCI. It's my first diesel ever, and I enjoy it. The high torque is no match to that of the essence model, so punchy and powerful. However, every rose has stings, so, the service costs are hefty and I believe the diesel engines are fragile somehow.

If its a BRAND NEW focus you are getting then you will only have the choice of a 1.6TDCI or 2.0TDCI as Ford have discontinued the 1.8TDCI. This to be fair was an exellent choice by Ford because the 1.8TDCI had flat spots in the rev range and the engine it self did not make sence in a new Focus. The 1.6TDCI when driven is very close to the 1.8 on performance but the road tax is alot less than the 1.8TDCI. The 2.0TDCI is a beast. Really powerful and exellent MPG. Also the newer ones had the same road tax bracket as the 1.8TDCi. If your wanting power go for the 2.0TDCi and if its low running costs got for the 1.6TDCi

typical woman, gets what she wants out of you and you never hear or see her ever again. :P

Well if she opted for the 2.0 diesel, she certainly will not be disappointed if she wants a car with clout. I had it in the Volvo S40 [shares engines with the Focus] That said, though I have not driven the 1.6 variant I reckon if she is willing to compromise a bit of clout for better economy. With better fuel economy, lower insurance premiums and a saving of £125 in road tax, I reckon it would be well worth considering.

One personal niggle I have coming down to the 1.6 from a 2.0, though I obviously accept the power divide difference. Whilst rear drums must be up to the job, I still miss the reassurance of having disks all round. Never an issue until I actually had them, I suppose it's the old adage...you never miss what you never had. Oh and another result of going back to rear drums, having a naff hand brake.

In terms of long distance runs and fuel economy a diesel would be better. Also remember that the torque of the diesel makes it a more pleasureable and relaxing driving experience. If you are not the type who likes to red line a car than the diesel would suit you fine. I'd go for the 2.0 as its a much more refined unit than the 1.8 as well as being a more modern design. The only worry I would have with a modern diesel is its reliability. They seem to have a lot that can go wrong and when it does its very expensive (dmf, dpf injectors etc.) If you are buying new/dealer at least you will have the security of a warranty but buying used private maybe risky. I have a 2.0 TDCI Focus and whilst its a good car I hope nothing goes wrong as my wallet would be a lot lighter. At least with a petrol they appear to be simpler to diagnose and cheaper to fix.

The 2.0 engine itself (if you go for it) will not win you many traffic light grand prix's as its not the quickest off the line but its very good in the mid range and even in 6th on the motorway will pull and pull.

i dont agree with u, our 2009 2.0 tdci focus titanium is very quick of the line and i always win races, ours spins in 1st and 2nd gear (well esp stops it) 3rd in the rain and as for economy the 2.0 tdci focus does 48 mpg (avarge week)and our brand new fiesta does 56 mpg (avarage week) so there not tht much diffrence in economy and u get 3 times the power !!

i dont agree with u, our 2009 2.0 tdci focus titanium is very quick of the line and i always win races, ours spins in 1st and 2nd gear (well esp stops it) 3rd in the rain and as for economy the 2.0 tdci focus does 48 mpg (avarge week)and our brand new fiesta does 56 mpg (avarage week) so there not tht much diffrence in economy and u get 3 times the power !!

Races? Three times the power?

Is this a joke post?

Thanks in advance.

I have owned 2 1.8tdci focuses, and had No problems with the engines and around 50mpg combined, 55+ on longer runs. The current 1.6tdci develops plenty of power and acceleration at lower revs than a petrol and far better fuel economy ( and road tax)