Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Member With An Old Poorly Ford

gabrielle69

hi , im gabrielle and new to this site today . i have a poorly ford fiesta encore in the popular faded red , its the basic model with no power steering or any luxuries etc lol .

at the moment ive taken the car off the road as i have a really bad problem with the steering but cant really explain it in mechanical terms but i will try.

when driving and turning left i had a vibration on the front near side and it got worse the faster i went , but im now having trouble turning right (very heavy) and it seems easy to turn left . i have no power steering but i do know the tracking is out . i jacked the front nearside wheel up and started the car in neutral . the wheel started spinning but it didnt look like it was spinning properly, id had a wobbly wheel affect , i get the same affect when driving the car the steering wheel wobbles all the time but i got used to it as i thought its an old car thing . there is no play atall in the rack but ive noticed the gearbox is moaning if held in 1,2,3 and crunches into reverse everytime. im more worried about the steering as ive had the tracking done 9 times in 6 months and it makes no difference to the tyre wear on the front , the front nearside is bold so it needs changing but i dont want to spend anymore money on it if its not an easy fix . i payed £350 for the car and have doubled maybe even tripled it on getting the steering sorted , ive had balancing done , tracking , new track rods and also tried swapping the rims as i thought it may have been a buckled tyre but its exactly the same. my pressures are 32psi in front and 30 rear . ive taken it off the road as it seems like i have no control on steering it , it wants to do its own thing and im fighting to keep it in a straight line . The car DOES NOT have power steering , its the basic model with an efi pushrod engine (the tappety one) the car is on 79,841 and i bought it 6 months ago on 77 . it had been parked up for a few years though .

please help meee xxxx

Welcome to the family!

The wobble on the wheel could be either a buckled wheel, or possibly a problem with the cv joint.

However, either way, if your steering is that heavy and that bad it sounds like that is a bad issue with the steering rack. I must admit, at the moment, its sounding like your going to spend more money than the car is worth!

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on this can help you out a bit more though.

i got until next month for its mot , if it fails i will probably scrap it and try finding a capri 1.6 laster in white hopefully

• Like 1

That would be tricky to find wouldn't it? Or have you got particular cars in mind?

well i passdd my test 3 years ago in an old classic capri 2.0 but couldnt get insurance as i was only 18 lol . ive have a few cars in mind . my friend has a fusion 1.4 tdci of which i like but cant afford lol . theres one trouble , i have a budget of no more than £2500 but i do want something cheap to tax with high mpg as im getting fed up with the 32mpg on my old fiesta . i live in wales on a mountain so i know i wont achieve the proper mpg here unless i take them for a good run. the classics im after is capri's beetle's anglia's mk1 fiesta popular's but i also want something reliable as im now on female hormones (transgendered-mtf) and my muscles are getting weak to push a car . the car will need an mot and tax preferably. ive always fancied a mk1 mondeo too , i got a mk1 mondeo radio in my fiesta lol along with the pink fur seat covers coz the heater doesnt work in my fiesta (typical stupid control valves) .

Fair enough,

I think with the budget you have in mind and the reliability / economy you want, you will struggle to find a decent motor that ticks all the boxes for £2500 (certainly a capri :p)

However, you could probably get a decent mk5 / mk6 Fiesta. I would say if your doing long drives, mainly A Roads and not town, perhaps a 1.4 diesel? as this should give you the best of both worlds.

im thinking of the 1.4 diesel gonna try and find a fusion , bit higher to get in and out of lol

lol yip! its definately a better seating position and the fusions seem like great car.

Welcome to the family.

The fusions are great cars. My dad has a 1.4 petrol & in the last 4 years he has had it, it has not let him down even though I drive it quite a bit (a bit hard on it).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club