Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lighting

anthonyb

I would like to upgrade the lighting on my car but I'm somewhat confused what is the best as I don't understand the differences between LED, xenon and Cree. Can someone explain the terms or the best to go for? Thanks

Xenon is for main headlamps and refers to what are also known as HID or High Intensity Discharge lamps. They're the ones where the lens in the headlamp looks like a round foglamp type lens. Pretty time consuming to upgrade to these as legally you also have to install headlamp washers and a levelling system too. Some aftermarket headlamp bulbs are probably called Xenon but this won't actually be the case.

Then LED and CREE are pretty much the same - CREE are a type of LED that are also polarity neutral, usually with LEDs they only work one way round in a light socket (matching +ve and -ve wiring) but CREE can go in either way round. You can get most bulb types in an LED or CREE equivalent and different colours too.

Have a look here for bit more on what's available http://www.alltronix.co.uk/ or spend some time googling it :)

• 2 weeks later...

After emailing Alltronix they needed to see my car to make suggestions what to purchase from them because Fords can be a bit "Tricky". I contacted Autobulbs Direct and was impressed by their logical suggestions. I made my purchases and now await delivery......watch this space!

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the bulbs from Autobulbs Direct using the bulb guide in the handbook but it incorrectly says it has a separate fog light bulbs and cornering bulb! So beware of trusting the Ford handbook. I have replaced the side light, main beam and the fog/cornering bulbs with LED's which viually look so much better and give improved performance. I am fitting HID's to headlights but the kit only arrived yesterday as they have been out of stock and will hopefully get time to fit them over the weekend. So I will tell more and post photos when job is completed.

I have fitted the HID Kit and even in the daylight they look awesome! The only problem encountered was the heavy Yorkshire rain showers but the kit was pretty much plug and play! If anyone wants further information just let me know.

• 1 month later...

The kit I purchased was H7-HIDS4U-Ultimate-35W-HID-Conversion-Kit but I would suggest that you ask their advice. Just be aware that if you fit a HID Kit you need to upgrade your other bulbs because they will probably look very yellow.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club