Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Tyres ?

TomTitanium62

Hi everyone, this is more my curiosity playing up and trying to plan ahead but I was wondering what best tyre brand for my car would be. It's a 1.6tdci focus - latest model.

I've put michellin primacy 3's all round on there but have been told by an experienced tyre fitter and an experienced mechanic who's owned god knows how many cars and what not that they're not good for my car as it's heavy and front wheel drive and apparently they'll eat through them.

It's been recommended that I stuck with the brand that came with my car originally which is Continental. Tyres are 215/55/R16 - 93H

Any advice would be well appreciated

Thanks in advance

Eagle f1's get my vote. But grip is my main priority.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

My personal preference are Continental sport contact 5 ,at the moment my focus has goodyears 205/50X17W XL on the front and even though they are Extra Load the sidewalls are far too soft the same goes for Michelins, The rears have totally rubbish jinyu tyres ( soon to come off ) Michelins are an excellent tyre indeed my dad had a 61 plate focus new and Michelins were fitted as standard fitment 205/55X16 91V , September my dad bought a new focus it now has 215/50X17 95w continentals.

Any tyre copes adequately on a focus, in reality other factors affect it too tyre pressure geometry driving style etc.

I would gladly have Michelins on my focus.

Any leading brand is good.

Continental

goodyear

Pirelli

michelin

dunlop

bridgestone

Many mid range brands are excellent too you don't always have to go for the wallet busters but good deals are to be had as the tyre game is VERY competitive . :D

I would add that the tyres fitted to most cars from new (unless vehicle specific) are what the car companies can get the best deal on, fords have come with HANKOOKS a couple of years ago....

• Like 1

I used to fit Avon ZZ£ until discontinued, now I fit Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.

They score A for wet grip, A for road noise and B for fuel economy, they also wear forever.

http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk/goodyear-tyres/efficientgrip-performance-tyre/test-review-9745123

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Goodyear-EfficientGrip-Performance-Launched.htm

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah I think Goodyear came up in conversation before - by the looks of things I'll be going for continentals or Goodyears when they're due for a change.

That's right Stoney. The Goodyears Effcientgrips are the best tyres i found for the my focus.

• Like 1

A good mid range tyre is Falken. I've got a couple up front on my zetec and they are doing well so far. The grip is excellent and I think they score a 'C' for fuel economy. With the tracking out for some time, the wear seems to be very good as well.

Certainly a brand to look at if on a bit of a budget. :)

I had avon 15s on my mk1 and had a wheel change to 17s and had primacy 3 recommended by ATS and it felt loads different but ive gone up 2 inches so so it myt just be that but theyve stopped me wheels spinning so i like them personally

Are they the same as this?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

That's right Stoney. The Goodyears Effcientgrips are the best tyres i found for the my focus.

My Force use them and on that recommendation any my experiences of the tyres through work swayed me.

We used to use Avon ZZ3 but the EfficientGrip Performance are better by far, excellent wet grip and never let me down.

• Like 2

Actually just had a new front pair fitted today to replace my last pair of ZZ3 that lasted 2 years.

• Like 1

Yeah they're exactly like just a size smaller. Can't say they've really let me down at all and I've gotta admit the grips pretty decent. However I think I've noticed them wearing down quicker than expected. But that could just be me being paranoid. I don't really drive like a maniac either and never harsh brake or anything like that. I usually keep my tyres inflated to 34-35 psi All round.

Saying that though they weren't the extra load ones. Think I'll give Goodyears a try when the time comes. They seem to be a general favourite.

Everyone has there own opinion ATS told me that Continental wasnt all that good but i think thats cuz my primacy 3 were £400 fitted and they wanted the sale

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Sounds about right.

Go through BlackCircles and you can choose exactly what you want.

Mine were ordered on Tuesday and fitted yesterday at a time and fitting garage of my choosing in less than 30 minutes.

Look at cam skill.co.uk they do tyres. Get the delivered and then fitted.

Best tyres in my experience for sensible money are a ones. Although due to change tyres soon and I'll be checking out univocal rain sport 3 as they have the top rating for the wet. Better than Avon.

Flakes are good in the dry. Average generally a bit below average in the wet though

I'm seeing Continentals mentioned and I'm not sharing the love myself for them.

I had sport contact 5 (I think) on my last Focus and they wore down to the legal limit in between 5- 8000 miles without stupid driving. Then there is the road noise.

I've got 18 inch sport contact 2's now and they've had to be swapped over at 15k (front to back job) and they are noisy too. They knock the fuel consumption as well I think.

Conti's are out in my interests. I think I'll give Goodyear a go next.

• Like 1

The compound of the conti's are quite soft however I managed to get 12000 miles out of sport contact 5's on my Type R, I now have goodyear efficient grip the grip is very good but the side walls are far too soft even for XL, even the GY AS F2 sidewalls are soft hence why I chose the conti's. As for road noise I cant complain one bit a really excellent tyre standard fitment for my dads new mk3.

A very good mid range tyre is the Falken 453 you cant go wrong. Been dealing with tyres among other things for 25 years come across all sorts good and bad, we all have our personal favourites .... :D :D :driving: :driving: