Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TDCI Servicing and MPG

robcollyer

TDCI Servicing and MPG

Dear all,

I recently bought a 2006 Focus 1.8 TDCI it has currently done 22000 miles and coming up for its second service. At the moment the trip computer says I am getting about 48 - 50mpg, this to me seems a little low. (Other 1.9 TDI I have owned used to average 56-60). Can anyone tell me if this is just due to the engine running in?

A friend told me that after the first or second service Ford are supposed to update the onboard computer to take it out of "Running in mode", thus allowing me to get better mpg etc. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I want to make sure that when I take it for its next service this is done.

Like I said before it is due for its second service soon so you can expect its ready for a new air and fuel filter, could this have a impact on mpg?

Any other advice as to what could be the problem or I should ask them to look at when I have it serviced would be much appreciated.

thanks

rob

Hi Rob

Welcome to FOC

What sort of driving are you doing? round town or motorway? mixed?

These figures i was getting in my old 2004 golf tdi and i mostly do round town... motorway 50-55mpg at 55-65 mph (trying to see how high i could get it)

So to me those figures are pretty good if your a town driver.

Hi Rob

Welcome to FOC

What sort of driving are you doing? round town or motorway? mixed?

These figures i was getting in my old 2004 golf tdi and i mostly do round town... motorway 50-55mpg at 55-65 mph (trying to see how high i could get it)

So to me those figures are pretty good if your a town driver.

Hi Steve,

I do about 40 miles a day 30 of these miles are on fast roads (70mph) adn the other 10 miles is done through town however there is hardly any stopping and starting mainly about 30mph ish all the time.

i do drive quite economically and have a vey light foot, i very rarely put my foot down.

do you know if my friends comments around the EMU are correct?

thansk

rob

• 1 month later...

Hi; I bought my tdci ghia estate from new in 2003. Up to 70,000 miles the best I could achieve was 43 mpg! I complained to the local Ford garage and they said there was nothing wrong (at the time I was getting 39.8 mpg!!!). When the car started misfiring a few months later, it was taken in to a different Ford garage, who reset the ecu(?) or computer thingy(?) - since then, it's achieved 45 mpg regularly, and now, at 90,000 miles, it's up to 47 mpg. This is still considerably below the 52 mpg that a work colleague regularly gets.

I try not to drive hard and my journeys involve long periods of 60 mph cruising. I think that the consumption seems to vary from car to car - it shouldn't, in this day and age, but I appear to be stuck with it.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 1.6 model deisel tdci purchased 2008 with 2500mls on the clock.I get 28-30 around town & 44-46 on a motorway run setting the cruise control to 70 & am very dissapointed.By the way it is an automatic & I consider myself a carefull driver,will it improve after the first service?

If you take your vehicle into a main deal for your 25 k service mention your fuel consumption concerns and ask if there is a software up date for your vehicle.There usually is..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club