Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Mk7 headlamp styling enigma

Aitchess

Now, maybe I'm in a minority of one here, but I find I'm slightly envious of the looks of the headlamps on the lower-spec Fiestas. Am I alone in this? I'm seeing a few more of the Studio/Style/Style+/Econetic models around now, so am getting a better look at them in various colours. The silver headlamp units on our Zetec (and upwards) do, I realise, contain much more powerful projector main beam units than the models below them in the range and they look perfectly pretty, but the black-background headlight arrays of the lower-spec models, with their bigger main beam unit (albeit just a reflector) seem to have more "attitude". Probably Ford chose to make the up-spec headlamps all-silver because the smaller outboard (main beam) projector units might look a bit odd if they were accentuated by a black background (since you sort of expect the outermost ones to be the biggest). The "black/dark" headlamps might have a subliminal attraction for me because they have often been a feature reserved for "posher" models elsewhere in the Ford range (like the Focus) and Vauxhall has generally used darker headlamps on sportier or posher models too, so the Mk7 Fiesta seems to reverse the usual fashion. Even the related Mazda 2 has headlights on its top-spec models which superficially resemble the ones on the lower-spec Fiestas (though the Mazdas do have projector lamps) and the more affordable Mazda 2 models have headlights with more of a silver look (though it's because they've got a big rectangular headlamp in there which looks a bit ordinary).

Anyway, I think Ford's been good to owners of the more affordable Fiestas, styling-wise (except for the wheel covers, maybe!). Even the lack of foglamps looks better than in most of the competition, because they've got those diagonal/vertical "brake cooling" intakes instead, rather than the usual (and obvious) "bunged-up" foglight holes that you see on the Corsa, for example.

Now, maybe I'm in a minority of one here, but I find I'm slightly envious of the looks of the headlamps on the lower-spec Fiestas. Am I alone in this? I'm seeing a few more of the Studio/Style/Style+/Econetic models around now, so am getting a better look at them in various colours. The silver headlamp units on our Zetec (and upwards) do, I realise, contain much more powerful projector main beam units than the models below them in the range and they look perfectly pretty, but the black-background headlight arrays of the lower-spec models, with their bigger main beam unit (albeit just a reflector) seem to have more "attitude". Probably Ford chose to make the up-spec headlamps all-silver because the smaller outboard (main beam) projector units might look a bit odd if they were accentuated by a black background (since you sort of expect the outermost ones to be the biggest). The "black/dark" headlamps might have a subliminal attraction for me because they have often been a feature reserved for "posher" models elsewhere in the Ford range (like the Focus) and Vauxhall has generally used darker headlamps on sportier or posher models too, so the Mk7 Fiesta seems to reverse the usual fashion. Even the related Mazda 2 has headlights on its top-spec models which superficially resemble the ones on the lower-spec Fiestas (though the Mazdas do have projector lamps) and the more affordable Mazda 2 models have headlights with more of a silver look (though it's because they've got a big rectangular headlamp in there which looks a bit ordinary).

Anyway, I think Ford's been good to owners of the more affordable Fiestas, styling-wise (except for the wheel covers, maybe!). Even the lack of foglamps looks better than in most of the competition, because they've got those diagonal/vertical "brake cooling" intakes instead, rather than the usual (and obvious) "bunged-up" foglight holes that you see on the Corsa, for example.

I can see where you're coming from here as the silver headlamps seem a little bland compared to the lower spec models. The black does help define the lights. Kinda like automobile eyeliner in a way. Ford themselves seem to acknowledge this by taking out the chrome in the Zetec S.

They've done a good job at keeping visual parity between all the models, they all look very nice!

[EDIT] turns out I was wrong about the Zetec S's headlights.

Got any pics so I can see?

21049_25257.jpg

This is what the lower models look like, with black surrounds on the headlights and slits in place of the fog lights.

Minus the bodykit bumpers, of course.

ford_fiesta_01.jpg

this one, I believe, is the Zetec S, black surrounds on fog lights and grille. Notice the completely chrome headlamps compared to the previous car.

gallery_6631_109_619158.jpg

And this is the standard Zetec with chrome grille, beltliner and foglights.

Hmm, nah i like the higher up styling - gives it a more expensive look i think. Not to mention the lights on a Zetec and above produce more light at night, so it's safer aswell.

I cant see the difference about the lights.

Here's a close up of the headlights, with helpful red arrows as well! The headlights were a bit unclear in the first photo.

gallery_6631_109_212683.jpg

i totally agree with mark.

i dont like the lower spec headlights, when i got my car from my dealer i could compare a titanium with the lowest spec fiesta...

the silver headlights look so much better and not so cheap too.

and especially with darker colours, the chrome of the foglights surroundings looks so nice :rolleyes:

i totally agree with mark.

i dont like the lower spec headlights, when i got my car from my dealer i could compare a titanium with the lowest spec fiesta...

the silver headlights look so much better and not so cheap too.

and especially with darker colours, the chrome of the foglights surroundings looks so nice :rolleyes:

I like the chrome on darker colours as well. The black works with the lighter colours, I think as it gives the headlights a bit of definition.

I prefer the higher spec lights and dislike the chrome surrounded fog-lights, good thing I got a Zetec-S :lol:

The chrome looks great on black, which is why i like the chrome :)

Here's a close up of the headlights, with helpful red arrows as well! The headlights were a bit unclear in the first photo.

gallery_6631_109_212683.jpg

How come both of those cars have got the Zetec S front fogs?

As for the headlights - I am in two minds about them. I think a fully de-chromed Squeeze would look great but that would mean getting rid of the chrome around the windows, front fogs and on the rear hatch - thinking that would be mega bucks to do so I'll stick with what I have ordered.

As for the headlights - I am in two minds about them. I think a fully de-chromed Squeeze would look great but that would mean getting rid of the chrome around the windows, front fogs and on the rear hatch - thinking that would be mega bucks to do so I'll stick with what I have ordered.

I'm not sure, I was wondering about that after I posted the images. Perhaps the first car is a show car with extra bits added on tot he basic model? Like in a previous topic with the 1.4 Studio with leather interior.

After a little bit of research, in the UK only a Zetec S gets black fog lights. So i'm guessing the picture you got is from another country. Chrome fog lights come on Zetec and Titanium only.

Always makes me wonder with the 'world' cars why things you can get in one country are not available in another - you would think they would keep everything standardized around the world with just the correct positioning of the steering wheel being the differing factor

After a little bit of research, in the UK only a Zetec S gets black fog lights. So i'm guessing the picture you got is from another country. Chrome fog lights come on Zetec and Titanium only.

Yes, I noticed that yesterday but didn't get around to posting about it. I reckon it's a Fiesta Trend, which is the model roughly occupying the UK's Style/Style+ position in most of the countries on mainland Europe. Whilst I'm on the subject (this is a bit over-detailed, but what the heck!) their model lineup tends to go: Ambiente, Trend, Ghia, Sport, Titanium, Econetic (versus our Studio, Style, Style+, Zetec, Econetic, Zetec S, Titanium). The Ambiente seems to be roughly like the Studio, but also comes as a 5 door whereas our Studio is 3-door only. The Ghia is our Zetec, more or less, and the Sport equates to our Zetec S. The Titanium is pretty much the same as ours, and so is the Econetic, but it's priced higher than most of the other variants in mainland Europe, for some reason. So mainly it's mostly minor differences only, if at all, and some name/pricing differences.

By contrast, I've also noticed that Australia's range contains only three levels - CL, LX and Zetec - with the CL and Zetec available as 3 or 5 doors, the LX as 5 door only. The CL and LX have the lower-spec black headlamps/no foglights "face" yet the LX introduces rear electric windows on the 5 door (not available at all on any UK Fiestas) and alloy wheels, which the Australian Zetec also has, and all models have two flip keys and air con. Their Zetec has the front and rear bumpers of our Zetec S, along with the larger tailgate-top spoiler (basically the full dress-up kit we can have as an accessory on our 3-door Titanium only - the 5-door Australian Zetec doesn't get the side skirts but their 3-door does), and it also has the chrome trim we get on the window line and boot handle for the Zetec and Titanium. In fact, it seems to equate more closely to the Titanium as it has quite a few of the posh features of that UK model too, as standard. All Aussie Fiestas get the middle back seat headrest as standard, too. Chrome sill scuff plates are standard on their Zetec. I see that Australians don't pay such a huge surcharge for metallic paint as we do, though they don't get the choice of Hot Magenta at all. There are just two engines on offer - the 1.6 petrol with manual transmission or the 1.4 petrol with auto.

Strangely, New Zealand's Fiesta choice is different again. They have same two engine/transmission choices as Australia, but only the 5-door Zetec is offered in either spec - no other variants at all. Unlike Australia, they can have Hot Magenta (for $1000NZ extra!) yet the other metallics don't seem to have a surcharge at all. They also have the large tailgate spoiler like in Australia, but not the full body kit as in Australia and in fact the NZ Zetecs only have the lower-spec black headlights and no front foglights at all, and no external chrome trim. Inside they have the same upholstery as our lower Style/Style+ models (the Australian Zetec matches our Zetec/Titanium there), yet come with the 16" alloy wheels as standard, as well as traction control, EBA, the works! Weird combination of spec levels there!

Always makes me wonder with the 'world' cars why things you can get in one country are not available in another - you would think they would keep everything standardized around the world with just the correct positioning of the steering wheel being the differing factor

It is strange, isn't it? (See my obsessive epic on the whole variation thing, above, for which I apologise but it might be good as a cure for insomnia!). I guess it's pretty easy if the basic vehicle's the same, though, to tinker about with the specs at build and I assume Ford would say they've carefully tailored what's available to the results of their market research in each country. Or something.

i didnt read all of the posts , so if this has already be answered just ignore this post. ;)

here in austria (and i guess in all german speaking countries) there are 5 models of the fiesta.

the basic model is called 'ambiente' and has no foglights, no chrome at all and the black headlights just like the next model above called 'trend' (the trend does have fogflights).

then there is the 'ghia' model which is no different to the titanium except it doesnt have the red ambient lighting inside (its funny, i know, but thats ford :D), they are both the top of the line models with all the chrome and silver headlights.

and then theres the 'sport' which is i guess the same as the zetec s in the uk.

edit: i forgot the econetic, i dunno if its called the same here but there is such a model too, so theres 6 all in all

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club