Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Eac Fault

shooneel

Hi Guys,

I am a new ford owner,

Have a 2003 ford fiesta, 1.6, 16v Duratec (Sigma, Zetec SE ? ) petrol,

Been having a trouble with the Car lately.

Initially, I had the famous Hunting problem...

Read a fair few forums, saying usually the MAP sensor is the problem. I have taken it out about twice now, and Given it a nice clean. Also checked the vacuum hose, it was all in good condition.

Changed the Air Filter.

The car was good for a few days.

The problem has now returned.

Have done a Diagnostic run using the OBD reader ( one off ebay) - I keep getting 3 errors usually - P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

- P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input

- P0113 Ford - Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

now also got a new code - P2108 Throttle Actuator Control Module Performance.

Wondering if someone could give me a guidance, at what i should be doing next, ?

I have tried cleaning the connectors, lots of Contact cleaner sprayed. Still the same issues.

I have bought a new MAP sensor , but not installed it as yet. in a hope maybe, it is just an electrical fault??

There is more than one vacuum hose on the manifold, which one did you check ? If it was the PCV one behind the manifold did you remove it to check its condition ??

With the engine hunting its most likely you have an air leak around the inlet manifold.

Thanks for the reply. Yes checked the hose which connects next to the MAP sensor.

The hunting usually happens when the fault occurs, and not all the time.

If the vacuum hoses are all in good condition I would suspect the throttle body, have you tried reseating the connector on it ?

Other than that the accelerator pedal can cause EAC fail.

Hi

So far I have done the following

Checked the Hose by the MAP sensor, Pulled it out all together and checked it, Was in good condition

Pulled out the MAP sensor, cleaned the contacts and the sensor spraying Contact cleaner. Also sprayed the plug.

Taken out the Accelerator Pedal, and cleaned the contacts, opening the assembly.

Sprayed contact cleaner on both the sides on the Big Socket ( the wiring harness which is usually replaced if you have EAC failure,)

I have not unplugged and cleaned the TPS connector as yet. Have just jiggled it a bit so the connections might get cleared out. will try and clean it. Its in an awkward position and hard to pull out.

I will also change the MAP sensor I think and see how it goes, maybe its the main culprit all together.

Thanks

Right, Changed the sensor & reseated the connector on the throttle body. problem still exists.

Got the error p0108.

Next maybe look throughout the engine for leaks. Is there a pic anyone can guide to where/what hoses I should be looking at.

The diagram I have doesn't show the other vacuum pipes well.

The Brake Servo & Evap are attached to the right hand side of the inlet manifold (looking from the front of the car).

post-4806-0-10422400-1410280221_thumb.jp

Thanks for the Reply Dan

I got the images for the Intake manifold

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/fiesta_2002.25_11.2001/mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/303_engine/303-01a_engine_1.25l_duratec-16v_(sigma)-1.4l_duratec-16v_(sigma)-1.6l_duratec-16v_(sigma)/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/general_procedures/in-vehicle_repair/intake_manifold/

Looking at the image you have posted, it suggests brake booster vacuum line.

I just realised, i might have not checked any of the vacuum pipes?, because the only one I checked was the PCV, the Positive Crankcase ventilation pipe.

Are there other pipes i should be looking at , other than the Brake Servo & Evap ?

Evap did seem to be in good condition as it was easily accessible I did have a quick look. Just not sure about the Brake servo, as it was a bit hidden.

Thanks again.

Just have a look and see if anything is hanging off or deteriorated.

I think you should look at replacing the throttle body next, they are usually easy to get off eBay and not expensive.

An update

I had a good look around from the top, could not see any bad hoses at all.

Even removed the spark plugs to see if something was wrong there, not signs of missing a beat.

The Throttle body is in a very good condition, looks like the previous owner was having this problem, and they probably got him to change the throttle body. but did not solve the problem. It probably is the reason all the Connectors were well lubricated.

Also have noticed one thing, The problem maybe exists while i am driving at lower speeds. But It does not throw me an error at all till I hit a RPM of 2.5k or above. I do feel a bit of a struggle when I am going up hills, but as long as i keep the throttle down I dont face the problem.

Because I do feel the car doesnt have the power i would have expected when you take off, it does stutter a bit.

I did change the fuel filter, however i was wondering.... when i read about changing the filter, i thought it would be a pressurised system, but did not see any fuel shooting out when i changed the filter, .. so maybe fuel pump not functioning as it should /.?

Regards

Sunil

Throttle body has to be the next step, just because it looks clean you don't know for sure that it was changed previously. And being clean doesn't mean good, just like being dirty means its bad :D

Can you remember what spark plugs you have, I tried some Bosch super 4's a while back and they were awful, engine would stutter when pulling away. (But I think this is a separate unrelated issue to the EAC fail).

As for the fuel pump, there is a return fuel line so any fuel not used by the engine is returned to the tank, the pressure doesn't just stay built up in the supply line.

• Like 1

Thanks for your contribution Dan,

I should have said, The throttle body looks as if its brand new, and recently replaced. Cuz it was very clean and shining for a 11 year old car.

Another thought I was having is,

Since i am getting

EAC fault, P0106 , P0108 , P0113.

I suppose there is always a possibility of a wiring not doing the job it is supposed to.

The only thing that baffles me is it only happens on high speeds / or the engine is asking for more power.

I had tried to open the contacts on the ECU but was not very much success full, If you have any experiance , is it possible to pull out the whole connector from the ECU ? i might just do a nice clean up on it as well, never know where the problem lies.

Sorry if I am being stupid, but the problem is doing my headin. .. wish they made the codes more easier and specific

Regards

Sunil

I understand your frustration but its a process of elimination and the throttle body is the likely suspect.

As for the ecu connector, you have to drill out the security bolt. It is fitted with a bolt who's head detaches when it is tightened.

Use a stack of washers or something that will fit in the end of the bolt hole and guide a drill bit to drill the centre of the bolt.

Do you have the wiring diagrams and pinouts for the connector(s) ?

• Like 1

No havent got the diagrams.

Thats what I have been trying to locate now. ( at work , shouldnt be doing it)

So even to remove the connectors on the ECU is a big hassle, .. just great.

I wont be doing anything till Sunday, Thats my day off now. Till then. its slow and steady for me

Thanks for your help DAn

I have downloaded something from here

http://pdftown.com/ford-technical-information-system-tis-cd-v-2-7/#more-91

not sure if thats the correct one.

If you have a link for anything other than this, would be great if you could share it with me, I can def download it without any problem

Thanks

Sunil

Hi Dan

Thanks for your help mate

Not sure if i have totally cured the problem.

however today i was going to do a smoke test , So off to the dismantling centre to get some hoses to make up a kit. Before i left for some reason I removed & checked the PCV valve for any blocks, and then plugged it back in.

Drove up to the dismantlers, the car seemed to be very smooth. So got two hoses from the Dismantlers for 2 Quid. Cut it to the right size & changed the hose going into the PCV.

Went for a good 25 mile drive on the M4 and haven't had a blip or stutter (touch wood). Looks like the pipe was not tight enough and was letting some air in.

Seems the EAC fault might have been fixed by moving around the cable. If it wasn't the air leak

Lets see how it goes.

Thanks for your help

Sunil

• 9 years later...

Hey @shooneel Did you ever find a fix to this issue? Thanks. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club