Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Exhaust System Or New Car!

pemean

I have just taken my 2006 Focus 1.6 Zetec (49,000 miles) to my local tyre and exhaust centre as I thought it was blowing slightly (or 'growling' as my daughter said!). The lad looked at it and shook the flexi manifold and said it had come lose and that was the cause.

Not a cheap job apparently - the young guy said he had the same thing happen to his car - he blinded me with some technical jargon which isn't difficult for a mechanical numpty like me - mentioned something about the catalytic converter having to be replaced as well due to the design - he got on the phone to get some prices and came back with a quote of £548 not including VAT!

This seems a little steep to me and I am now thinking should I get rid? Bought the car from a local dealer 14 months ago and it still has one free service left!

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem - is the price quoted realistic and why does it need a cat as well? Have looked on the net and mk1 models with the same problem are much cheaper to repair!

Perhaps a second opinion needed?

I dont know but the cat may be integrated into the flexi, if one goes, you must replace both

it may be possible to weld it/ just replace the flexi - that way you dont have to replace the cat - i estimate that would cost £100 -£200, from and independand garage/ mechanic, a lot less than £548 ex vat

Watch out though as if it was running lean (due to the leak) the cat may be kaput, then you will need a new one after all

Alternatively just pick up a secondhand cat

Your car has quite a low milage so i recon it has a few years left in it yet

You want to find yourself a local custom exhaust place who would replace just the flexi.

I have 2 mates with an exhaust place, saved me £200 on an exhaust by doing this for me on the Mrs Ibiza.

Failing that, replace the system - £548 is ridiculous though!! Nevermind adding vat!!

Guess who's been to quick flit the price they've give you there says to me here's one we,ll have him over that's an absolute ridiculous price .

Go to eBay type in ford focus 2006 flexi youll get a replaceable one for £27.00 delivered with 2 clamps guys trying it on to put it simply

Even if you need the downpipe as well euro car parts do it at £101 the downpipe is bolted to the manifold the cat is part of the downpipe which bolts to the exhaust all replaceable seperately

On the 1.6 is the manifold, cat and flexi not one section? Iirc too there isn't really enough room for one of those repair flexis.

Edit, to the above post - you need the cat for the mot/emmisions

Not on mine anyway from the diagram the flexi pipe bolts to the cat with a downpipe this is where the flexi is on the downpipe euro car parts stock the downpipe for 2006 1.6 also showing the cat seperate

Not on the search I done with a reg and also using the drop down menus, it's coming up as a one piece section like I thought.

Does the ti-vct possibly use a different setup?

Always wise to ask on here if unsure of prices even people willing to give a hand if local worth doing a quick search on the likes of eBay euro parts or asking your local motor factor cheshire being the quality factor or lvw sennar the two I tend to use never go near the likes of quick flit and halfrauds service centres just look at the laters price to change a light bulb again always worth asking on here for trusted and recommended Indy garages .

Just using the de cat as a example on price Stef .

Found different sites saying different things some say cat manifold one piece others say they are 2 piece usual fords nowt is concrete lots of places selling the flexi repair for all 2006 1.6 so it suggests it can be cut out sod it im gonna have a look under the bonnet and see

Found different sites saying different things some say cat manifold one piece others say they are 2 piece usual fords nowt is concrete lots of places selling the flexi repair for all 2006 1.6 so it suggests it can be cut out sod it im gonna have a look under the bonnet and see

Problem is mate they list these repair sections as a universal fit really.

I have went to do a few as cheap fixes for folk and it's ended up with anew section as there is no possible way to fit then near a bend

Well if you did go to kwik fit id just confirm if you actually even need the flexi pipe? take it to a proper garage to get it inspected

Still a hell of a lot cheaper fitted than the qoute ide just get a new one at that price

Thats true had a look theres maybe 4 or 5 inches of straight pipe after the cat perhaps just enough without being under its hard to tell either way with a new one and fitting kit i cant see it costing 300-400 in labour

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club