Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus In Car Entertainment & Gadgets

sonic113

Hi fella's :)

I'm looking to change my head unit in the focus. I thought if starting this thread to discuss all forms of in car entertainment from Sat Navs, Cd players to In car dash cams and other In car gadgets.

The idea here is to discuss what others have installed and the good and bad points and maybe come up with a list of the "Best for the price" in car Gadgets so any one who is looking for advice or anything can just come to this thread and see what everyone's opinion is on the best priced gadgets.

Since I'm looking to get a new head unit I think we may start with these as there are a good few out there. I came across this one one eBay.

FORD 7089CU 7"

Ford mx-6004B

Now I do know some of these units as a few issues in the earlier version but from some reviews I have read these are getting some very positive comments. i also love the way they look OEM fitted when installed.

Three are a few different ones on this listing here :

Ford focus In car Sat Nav Units

A Few questions to anyone who may have one.

Does anybody have any of these installed?

What Model have you got?

How is it preforming ?

what do you think it it for the money ?

Any pictures or video of it installed or working would be great and helpful to others when choosing one

Thanks To All.

I've recently fitted one of the generic Sat Nav / DVD headunits in my ST.

IMG_2226a.jpg

It's an Asure unit, not certain exactly which model.

All seems to work ok though there's a lot of features I've not really tried out especially with the sat nav which runs IGO Primo software and the bluetooth phone. Had some niggles trying to get into DVD settings until I found it only lets you do that once a disc is in the unit. And the micro SD card was missing so they sent me web link for the software and put a card in the post for me.

Looking at the price of other units it is definitely value for money, main thing I miss with it is the lack of DAB but other features make up for this. Fitting-wise it came with canbus box wired in and main part which took time (apart from wiring in the reversing camera) was getting the harnesses squeezed into the space behind the head unit, the connector on the end of the camera cable means it protrudes about an inch from the back of the unit and I think was fouling when I tried fitting the unit but this was improved a lot using a 90 degree elbow connector inline with the cable. For the canbus box I wrapped with foam and let it drop down the side of the dash so it didn't get in the way. With the radio fascia refitted the unit was a perfect fit in the dash, and there was no setting up needed for the steering wheel controls either. And for the reversing camera I think it picks up info from the canbus as it switched to camera display when you put the car in reverse without the signal input from the camera. Would just prefer it not muting the sound when reverse camera is on.

Things which could be better - unit came with no fitting instructions, there were several unconnected wires in the quadralock loom but nothing telling you what they are for. Not much help either with the extra input connections on the back of the unit. The instruction manual only really covers the basics of using the unit and nothing for the sat nav though this should be available on the web somewhere. I went into some of the settings and changed the cockpit option but the unit then failed to boot up as it couldn't find the files. This seems to be a common problem looking on the web, had delete the save file on the micro SD card to get it playing again. Did try to transfer the cockpit files out of another directory but it didn't work. Also it gives you the option to vary backlight setting but this doesn't seem to make any difference. Also it has RDS setting but this only seems to pick up traffic reports from the station the radio is tuned to, and doesn't give station information.

Some of these could be me doing something wrong, I've really not spent that much time with everything apart from getting a radio station stored (it already had Real Radio XS as a preset) changing some sat nav settings and putting most of my music collection onto an SD card.

Things I've not got round to yet - wiring in the IPOD cable, want to run something from this into the centre console and set-up a docking port in the cubby bin so my phone will drop straight in rather than connecting to a loose cable. Maybe run a usb cable from the rear socket to somewhere you can get at easier. Also need to a proper job with the satin black vinyl I put on the fascia, seems to match the radio nicely but was only done as a rough try-out.

troy45,i have same unit does quite a lot for the cost.

You can change reverse camera mute if you go to menu then common change to on or off.

You can do same with dvd from menu choose video it then lets you have dvd player on or off when driving.

Unlike you though my steering buttons will not work nor can I get the unit buttons to light up with my side lights.

I also ordered off eBay a silver switch with usb / ipod connection including cable to plug n play for £14.99.

It fits neat and looks like it was always there.

• Like 1

Great responds guys. I like this unit a lot.

Does it display mp3 art ?

What's the sat nav like? as this is what I will be mainly buying it for

I also came across one that looks very similar by a company called enonon or something like that. Does any one know the differences or are they mostly the same or different firmware?

I want to get the best one for a budget I have set of around £250 maybe £280 but diffently no more like.

troy45,i have same unit does quite a lot for the cost.

You can change reverse camera mute if you go to menu then common change to on or off.

You can do same with dvd from menu choose video it then lets you have dvd player on or off when driving.

Unlike you though my steering buttons will not work nor can I get the unit buttons to light up with my side lights.

I also ordered off ebay a silver switch with usb / ipod connection including cable to plug n play for £14.99.

It fits neat and looks like it was always there.

Cheers for that - I had another look in my settings menu today but couldn't see an option for Common Change or similar, same going into the factory settings.

For the radio illumination there's a feed coming from the dimmer switch which seems to be orange/black then orange/blue then orange/black again going into the radio. Not sure what happens to this when you plug in the link lead they supply, and I'd have to check if mine is just lit all the time. In fact i'm certain it doesn't vary the lighting with the dimmer switch so maybe it doesn't even take a lights on feed from the car to do this?

The usb/ipod switch may be useful, would you have a link to the eBay item?

Great responds guys. I like this unit a lot.

Does it display mp3 art ?

What's the sat nav like? as this is what I will be mainly buying it for

I also came across one that looks very similar by a company called enonon or something like that. Does any one know the differences or are they mostly the same or different firmware?

I want to get the best one for a budget I have set of around £250 maybe £280 but diffently no more like.

Don't know if mine displays mp3 art sorry, and my use of the sat nav so far has got me to work ok but that's it.

I think there's a lot of similar looking units out there from different sellers, and the screen set-ups look different as well but I can't say if they're all the same underneath.

Not much help I know, sorry.

Cheers for that - I had another look in my settings menu today but couldn't see an option for Common Change or similar, same going into the factory settings.

For the radio illumination there's a feed coming from the dimmer switch which seems to be orange/black then orange/blue then orange/black again going into the radio. Not sure what happens to this when you plug in the link lead they supply, and I'd have to check if mine is just lit all the time. In fact i'm certain it doesn't vary the lighting with the dimmer switch so maybe it doesn't even take a lights on feed from the car to do this?

The usb/ipod switch may be useful, would you have a link to the ebay item?

Don't know if mine displays mp3 art sorry, and my use of the sat nav so far has got me to work ok but that's it.

I think there's a lot of similar looking units out there from different sellers, and the screen set-ups look different as well but I can't say if they're all the same underneath.

Not much help I know, sorry.

No problem. The more we can get people to chat about these units the more we can learn. You may be fit to wire the lighting of the unit to the cars lighting and it should turn on/off and dim with the car controls.

If the sat nav got you to work I guess its safe to say they must work fine as a sat nav lol! I personally would only use the sat nav function the odd time but I like the fact its there and fitted to the car so no loose leads laying around the cabin.

Did you buy yours from a UK seller? If not was there import tax/charges?

Didn't have to pay any import taxes - my unit came from usasure on eBay - I think they are listed as a UK seller though my unit actually came from Germany, and emails from their support gent usually have some chinese characters in the titles and arrived in my inbox overnight. Either way they replies to my queries in good time :)

Would say it's probably quite easy to work out what happens with the lighting feed from the Ford loom going into the quadralock adaptor, but whether the unit is actually wired to take an external feed to light it up is another matter.

Tis good that everything is integrated with no external leads, I did have the GPS sensor sat on the dash next to the passenger A-pillar but now got it mounted on the side of the pillar behind the trim and it works just fine. It's actually got a magnetic base though I uses some double-sided tape to be double safe.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-FOCUS-Custom-USB-Dash-Connection-Point-Custom-MP3-3-5mm-Jack-SILVER-/221530958893?

troy45 here is link for usb / ipod switch, mine took approx. 6 days to arrive.

That's great thanks - didn't realise you meant a dash switch but that looks good. See they say it doesn't fit 2010 XR5 which is the Australian ST but expect that'll be due to it fitting in the same slot as the ESP button. Reckon I could modify it easily enough if that's the case as the only difference between the switch positions is different ribs on the switches which then match slots in the housing.

May go for the black version if I can find a matching set of panel buttons for heated screens etc, always preferred them to be black to break up my mainly silver dash.

ok I too was looking at a cd/dvd/sat nav along the lines of what sonic was looking for has anyone ever bought or even have one in there car (titanium model) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolertron-2008-2010-2007-2011-2008-2009-Navigation/dp/B00451SF2K.

if you do have one is it worth the money?

ok I too was looking at a cd/dvd/sat nav along the lines of what sonic was looking for has anyone ever bought or even have one in there car (titanium model) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolertron-2008-2010-2007-2011-2008-2009-Navigation/dp/B00451SF2K.

if you do have one is it worth the money?

They do seem to get good reviews and feedback. Hopefully we can get this thread built up with information so it can help the likes of us in making decisions on a purchase.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-FOCUS-Custom-USB-Dash-Connection-Point-Custom-MP3-3-5mm-Jack-SILVER-/221530958893?

troy45 here is link for usb / ipod switch, mine took approx. 6 days to arrive.

Great link and feedback with the help on this unit. Hopefully its helps troy45 out.

Didn't have to pay any import taxes - my unit came from usasure on ebay - I think they are listed as a UK seller though my unit actually came from Germany, and emails from their support gent usually have some chinese characters in the titles and arrived in my inbox overnight. Either way they replies to my queries in good time :)

Would say it's probably quite easy to work out what happens with the lighting feed from the Ford loom going into the quadralock adaptor, but whether the unit is actually wired to take an external feed to light it up is another matter.

Tis good that everything is integrated with no external leads, I did have the GPS sensor sat on the dash next to the passenger A-pillar but now got it mounted on the side of the pillar behind the trim and it works just fine. It's actually got a magnetic base though I uses some double-sided tape to be double safe.

Good to know there was no import taxes, I did see a few listings from that seller and prices look reasonable as well. Its good to know the sat nav works well and the magnetic aerial can be placed and secured against the metal of the car (although double sided tape probably does the job just as good lol!)

I am diffently considering this unit. It has everything that I personally could need from a car system.

Ok looking at some more of these units I have threw together
some video’s from you tube and a few
specifications That I personally will be looking out for to try to get the most
out of one for the money.

Some features I recommend to look out for:

-
A Decent Price £££ (Every one probably does not want to spend a lot of money on a unit I for one Don’t but we want the best for the budget we have, Most of these units retails between £170 to £270 which I suppose is not bad for what you get(Sat Nav, DVD ,CD,Mp3 player ect). So there should be something to suit everyone interested in these.

- OEM look Fit (I think this is important As you would want it to blend in and look like a ford original gadget Which most of these units have and are available in the black or silver colour to match the dash).

- ARM Processor (Faster than older models so I believe as units with an arm processor wont have any or very little lag unlike older models.)

- Dual Can Bus (Keeps many car functions ie steering controls , car dash display, Dims units lights with car lights, reverse gear selects camera if installed, when car switched of it turns into standby and turns on like OEM head unit.

- Mp3 (Preferably with album art display I think this is a nice touch on the models that have this feature especially if you a big music fan.)

- Blue tooth facilities (Handfree Phone calls ect & Some allow contact lists for easy phone call making I think its a good feature and a good safety value.)

- Remote control (Not a real necessity but if the unit comes with one then I suppose it’s a bonus)

- Dual Zone Feature (This is an interesting one as if you have kids and have back monitors installed you can through a movie from these units to the rear passengers and still sue the radios or sat nav in the front so if you using sat nav to find a Lego land then the kids can be happy watching the Lego Movie in the rear of the car lol!)

- Unit Back lighting + Car Logo ( I think this is a cool feature as it lets you set your units back lighting to match your cars dash lightening. Again Not a necessity but helps with the OEM look of the thing Especially if they allow you to set the car Manufacture logo)

-
Sat Nav
(This is a great feature now as for me this is a buying point of the unit. No some models allow 2d/3d maps and look good
and also take different formats of maps
so this does open up a lot of options for the user.

Other Options

Again not necessities but if the unit comes with them then I suppose they are bonus’s .

- Rear view Camera Feature

- Ipod Connection Feature

- Digital Tv Feature

- NFC Phone Feature

Some negative points are that most of these don’t come with DAB but this is something that would not matter to me much as I would use the CD or Mp3 more any how’s. Some do report to get a little interference on the radio function but there are foxes for this by means of a signal booster Box I think . Just something to consider if your thinking of getting one.

Personally I think the positive may out way the negative on these units but hopefully if anybody has one installed post up what functions it has, what functions you have tested and what you think of it for the price also some images or videos may help. We may also be fit to help out or put together a guide for installation or settings on certain models of these if anyone needs help.

So on to the video demonstrations I found so far.

Here they are below:

Unknown Unit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S4j4IkeAYc

Eonon D5162

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrJhbIKNbw

Thanks for reading this post.

:)

• Like 1

Unknown unit video says it is not available :(

Sorry it must of been taken down/ I will try to find a similar one tonight.

Ok I have renewed the original link above so it should work now. thanks for pointing that out. :)

Edited by sonic113

Eonon unit looks the business, runs winCE as well meaning you should be able to use other navigation software , tomtom, Igo etc

WinCE makes android and iOS look like a plaything for a 4 year old, meaning with a bit of time and effort, you can mod your head unit as well as your car ! ;) very tempted with that , has anyone got one?

• Like 1

Eonon unit looks the business, runs winCE as well meaning you should be able to use other navigation software , TomTom, Igo etc

WinCE makes android and iOS look like a plaything for a 4 year old, meaning with a bit of time and effort, you can mod your head unit as well as your car ! ;) very tempted with that , has anyone got one?

Yes I think The Eonon probably is the winner for me as well.
I like the fact it runs winCE and you can use other navigation software with it.
This along opens up lots of options. I have found a few different models mainly for the facelift
focus which I have but for those who have the pre faclift (square version head unit) they supply one for it as well.
Here are some of the models I came across. They all look the same and have the same features advertised
so I dont really know what the main difference is.
Eonon D5161E
Eonon C5161E
I do think it pretty good price for all the equipment you get. It would be great to hear from any one who have an of these EONON units installed. I also have seen a few listings from UK sellers as well with 1 year warranty. I also think being able to mod the hea unit would be great as you may be fit to access wallpapers/backgrounds and add your own or change logos or just the general stuff you can on android devices ect.
I think this one is a pretty close match to what I personally am looking for.
:)
  • Like 1

From what I gather there are 2 different versions, outside the silver / black options defined as 61 silver or 62 black

There is the standard D5161/2 which by its self is the business,

Then there is the updated model GM5161/2 supporting "Mirrored screen" something to do with beaming the picture to other devices that support it, in short, probably a waste of money, if you want screens I the back a good old fashioned wire should do!

That is essentially it, other models come with reverse parking cams, TV modules etc

C5161 is the same as D5161 only with the reverse cam as an extra

CM5161 is the same as GM5161, only with the additional cam and mirrored screen tech

Im about a finger click away from ordering the D5161, but would be good to hear from someone with a unit!

Heres a question though, the silver doesn't look like it will match the silver trim, do you think it would look better going for black to show the contrast off a bit rather than a "almost but not quite" silver? could always vinyl wrap the trim I guess any thoughts....

• Like 1

on a side note, some of the eBay ones look a little different, have different remotes and to be honest some look a little cheap, id be cautious buying from anyone other then them... their Eonon.com site seems to have better prices anyway and accept paypal protection

• Like 1

From what I gather there are 2 different versions, outside the silver / black options defined as 61 silver or 62 black

There is the standard D5161/2 which by its self is the business,

Then there is the updated model GM5161/2 supporting "Mirrored screen" something to do with beaming the picture to other devices that support it, in short, probably a waste of money, if you want screens I the back a good old fashioned wire should do!

That is essentially it, other models come with reverse parking cams, TV modules etc

C5161 is the same as D5161 only with the reverse cam as an extra

CM5161 is the same as GM5161, only with the additional cam and mirrored screen tech

Im about a finger click away from ordering the D5161, but would be good to hear from someone with a unit!

Heres a question though, the silver doesn't look like it will match the silver trim, do you think it would look better going for black to show the contrast off a bit rather than a "almost but not quite" silver? could always vinyl wrap the trim I guess any thoughts....

Personally I have DVD players in the back already for the kids so the mirror tech thing would not matter to me that much.

The D5161 Look like it could be the one as it has all the trimmings. I think I with you on this one.

on a side note, some of the ebay ones look a little different, have different remotes and to be honest some look a little cheap, id be cautious buying from anyone other then them... their Eonon.com site seems to have better prices anyway and accept paypal protection

I think if it has the EONON logo at the bottom printed on the unit they look the same but I did notice ones without these logos (Unbranded) that looked a bit cheapish but I think the EONON ones look ok.

As for the color I peronally would want the silver but its hard to tell from pictures due to lighting conditions ect. Some one with one installed would be the best bet but I think it should blend in 100% as they are advertised as "special mondeo, focus ect silver" but I will try to find "real life" picture of one installed just to see as some cat pics can be enhanced a bit.

Until we find one here is a stock image of the D5161 :)

and an installation video of the black version.

The black does look good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5vB6zdmAk

http://www.eonon.com/upload/carSetup/phpUcdhLkAM20131228175726.JPG

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r611/enrico023/DSC_0065.jpg

http://www.eonon.com/upload/carSetup/IMG_001820130329151142.JPG

http://www.eonon.com/upload/carSetup/IMG_20130713_123744_120130715025242.JPG

actually think the black on silver looks ok, silver on black looks terrible, silver on silver looks good but im thinking of painting the trim anyway...

black black looks good but not liking the carbon effect with it.

• Like 1

Yes I agree. For me mine is silver so I will go for the silver just to keep it OEM looking. Eonon I think is the one. I will be picking one up in the next few weeks.

Any idea when the UK site will be back in stock, or are you ordering yours from abroad?

My CD6000 is displaying CD Error and has no CD in the drive. If i put one it it plays but cant eject it. If I use the AUX which i do most of the time I can still hear the CD player churning away trying to load or eject.

Cheers

Ali

Any idea when the UK site will be back in stock, or are you ordering yours from abroad?

My CD6000 is displaying CD Error and has no CD in the drive. If i put one it it plays but cant eject it. If I use the AUX which i do most of the time I can still hear the CD player churning away trying to load or eject.

Cheers

Ali

Sounds like the ejecting mechanism is jammed or faulty but you probably have to open the unit up to investigate it.

Not sure when UK site will have stock. I can try contracting them to see but I will order mine from abroad or a UK seller just whoever has a good price at time of purchase.

Ah bugger it, in for a penny an all that, 5162 ordered, I choose a uk stocked camera as apposed to getting the bundle firstly it's cheaper and secondly, if it goes wrong it can be dealt with easily. The rear cam does indeed replace a numberplate fitting , there is a wee LED or two on the cam so shouldn't lose much light. Just hope it matches my existing number plate smds!

I've got my eyes on igo primo 2 for navigation software, didn't see the point folking out for the maps when I was going to use my own anyway. Being win CE I hope to be able to mod this a bit, CE isn't known for its security unlike iOS and windows phone, in many ways its easier to play with then android, just depends on how they built the software so we shall see, looks pretty good anyway from thevids out there

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club