Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus In Car Entertainment & Gadgets

sonic113

I've just read the start of this thread again and have realized I can contribute another bit since the thread began.

I've fitted

Car WiFi

Discreet dual dash cam system

DVB TV Tuner with Pause/Record

10" HD flip down roof monitor

PlayStation 2 console

10" custom Sub enclosure

two amps single channel mono and four channel stereo with removable panel and stock bypass wiring.

upgrade all Speakers

1 fared custom Red Bull capacitor

Discreet reverse camera

as Well as a 7" aftermarket headunit

I've created Guides for fitting most of the equipment here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

As Well as on my build thread here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/

IMG_20150403_124221_zps8z9d27js.jpg

IMG_20150623_201611_zpsbxxj7b6r.jpg

IMG_20150623_201551_zpsxvj3rif2.jpg

IMG_20150623_180017_zpskvnbnkri.jpg

IMG_20150623_175955_zpss73or59f.jpg

IMG_20150501_175123_zpsynlwygff.jpg

IMG_20150501_175508_zpsaezmobqq.jpg

IMG_20150419_183526_zpsipbs9b0n.jpg

IMG_20150419_183454_zpsrc1qcfza.jpg

IMG_20150419_183447_zpsdrz1haf5.jpg

IMG_20150331_103547_zpsnm86nrxk.jpg

IMG_20150326_083041_zps4dj0qpsk.jpg

IMG_20141122_202937_zpsvvk7n3w_edit_1416

IMG_20141208_124930_zpsrwcvmama.jpg

IMG_20141208_130354_zpshtyop8lm.jpg

621141711_o_zpslhkterp_edit_141676461801

• Like 2

Great Input Lenny Thanks.

Some useful guides there as always mate.

Keep em coming lol! :)

• Like 1

Great Input Lenny Thanks.

Some useful guides there as always mate.

Keep em coming lol! :)

nah I'm done with the focus now just replacing front and rear bumpers to ST to tidy it up,

Saving for a year to purchase new project :)

• Like 2

Great thread!

I wanted to do away with a separate sat nav so when I bought the Focus, invested in an Xtrons GPS head unit. These are all shenzen designed units, all the models from Koolertron/Xtrons/Eonon etc all roll out from the same factories and it's certainly pot luck as to what you get and if it's going to carry on working for long. Still, wasn't a lot of money and I liked the idea of a factory look rather than converted to double din and forking out double the amount for a pioneer that does the same (but sounds better!)

I wouldn't advise buying a chinese jobby unless you had money to burn, or like me, enjoy tinkering. Mine lasted 3 months before GPS gave up the ghost and I ended up making matters worse when I attempted to fix it. Xtrons' support wasn't particularly great however their UK guys (actually british) were helpful and supplied me copies of the firmware I needed. However I had bricked the GPS. Luckily I found someone selling a faulty Xtrons unit for a VAG vehicle that had the same GPS system inside. A couple of hours of soldering and I had a working system again.

I'd also decided that I'd like bluetooth to work a little better. All of these chinese units are designed with left hand drive in mind, so the microphone is the wrong side of the car. I removed the microphone and soldered a wire leading to a headphone jack at the rear of the device, then made a wire with headphone plug on one end and the original microphone on the other which I've ran up the driver door pillar. Works a treat and can hold a normal conversation now without distortion from engine noise or having to shout.

I've yet to see a chinese head unit with a decent MP3 playlist/navigation system with exception of some of the Android units. The WinCE units like mine are ruddy awful, however I am still tinkering with mine aftering having reverse engineered the firmware by hook and by crook. (I don't feel bad about doing that; it's not like the chinese have issues doing the same! :D ).

SD card slots (both of them) failed with around 10 insertions. I repaired the GPS one, however prefer to use USB. I have run the GPS USB into the glovebox so I can use any memory stick I like with whatever nav software I like, and the MP3/Video USB I have run into one of the spare buttons below the climate controls, which I have a 16gb mini USB stick plugged into permanently :D

A week or so later, USB failed entirely due to a ribbon cable going crappy to the DVD (MP3/USB/Video support is entirely handled by the board on the DVD drive). It turned out to be a lack of 5v to the ports on the rear of the device, so ended up finding another 5v feed elsewhere on the board and soldering a jumper cable to it.

Sound quality is acceptable; I couldn't tell the difference between mine and the old Sony CD6000 at normal volumes but bear in mind they have ruddy awful amplifiers so if you expect quality and volume, look elsewhere.

Radio reception is !Removed! awful despite using the correct powered antenna adapters (and replacing it). I managed to improve it somewhat by providing another custom connection from ground within the head unit to a point on the chassis behind the glovebox. Thankfully I rarely listen to the radio; like others I do miss DAB as Absolute Radio 80s is one of the few acceptable stations for me these days ;)

DVD playback is good - and a godsend. If I'm ever in the car with the kids I'll happily throw in their favourite disc and they're happy - it's usually Wreck It Ralph! I have run cables to the rear of the car for an extra 7" screen. Dual zone works well, so I can have GPS and music in the front and they have their DVD in the back :) Have also added a reversing camera. No real need for one, but I had a couple lying round from wiring up my father in law's trucks so decided to make use. Quite handy in supermarket car parks!

Overall, for the money they're not bad. You get what you pay for, and it'll always be a bit of a gamble. If I do decide to replace, I will go for a double din Pioneer unit instead.

nah I'm done with the focus now just replacing front and rear bumpers to ST to tidy it up,

Saving for a year to purchase new project :)

Keep it ford Lenny!!! B)

Keep it ford Lenny!!! B)

All going well it will be a 3.2 flat six :)
  • Like 1

All going well it will be a 3.2 flat six :)

Great stuff Lenny

If stick that in a wee mk2 fiesta and all you need is the wings forget the red bull mate! lol! :)

• Like 1

Great stuff Lenny

If stick that in a wee mk2 fiesta and all you need is the wings forget the red bull mate! lol! :)

:lol: naturally aspirated though :rolleyes:

Saving for a year currently at Daewoo Matiz level but improving as time goes on.

• Like 1

:) Give it a while Lenny and a bit of paint here and it should come out something like this one lol! :D

1476473_10152017659458805_1145994388_n1.

• Like 1

I appreciate the faith you have invested in me :lol:

• Like 1

I appreciate the faith you have invested in me :lol:

On a serious note Lenny , the article was a good read and your guides and advice have helped out a lot of people on here including myself. wish you all the best with any new projects you take on. :)

• Like 1

On a serious note Lenny , the article was a good read and your guides and advice have helped out a lot of people on here including myself. wish you all the best with any new projects you take on. :)

Thanks very much ☺

whenever I pick up a new project I'll be sure to let y'all know about it, will be atlest 12 months though provided I don't lose my job or anything crazy :lol:

• Like 2