Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Private Number Plate?

fordbri

I've been told if you get a Private Number Plate the numbers of owners goes up by one on the log book,

Does any body know if this is true

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael P

• paulworthing

• Loyal Royal

• hedgepig

Shouldn't make any difference as the owners details have not changed - bit like if you move house. Although if you don't complete the V5 correctly when you move home you can add another owner to the record so anything is possible in these days of brain dead data entry staff.

This seems to ring a bell with me. My sister had to get her numberplate personalised as the one she'd been given was a bit rude and the saleman wouldn't budge. I'm sure on her documents she was going to be the second owner but because it was a new car it would be registered under the new plate instead. I'll double check tonight.

Mine was registered with 58reg and then registered with private plate - I will hunt out my log book later and check for you.

No, mine was on a normal plate then put onto a private plate, i'm the only owner its had still.

No, mine was on a normal plate then put onto a private plate, i'm the only owner its had still.

Mine's the same--registered on a 58 plate then transferred to a private plate--log book reads one owner as it should.

whoever told you that was talking out of their bottom, my plate has been moved from two of my previous cars so far and the number of owners is the same when the v5c is updated.

whoever told you that was talking out of their bottom, my plate has been moved from two of my previous cars so far and the number of owners is the same when the v5c is updated.

My thoughts entirely....very diplomatically put!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

absolute nonsence!

The ownership of the car doesnt change!

The owner of the numberplate (i.e. the buyer of the plate) must be the same owner as the car though. Or the buyer of the numberplate can "alow" another person to use that plate on their car.

For example, the Fiesta is in MY name but the numberplate is in my DAD's name as he brought it. But when you fill in the form there is a "nominee's" section, which my name is on, so i can legally use the plate.

The number of owners for your car defo wont go up!

If you sell the car you can have the personal plate removed and the origional one is put back onto it. This is the case with my corsa which had a privateplate on, but now the plate has been p[ut on retention ready for the fiesta, and the origional plate put back onto the corsa. Please note though that it can take up to 10 weeks for the whole process to be completed, so probably best to do it all at least 10 weeks before you sell, as otherwise you may not have the logbook etc for the car you want to selL!

if you get personlised plates on your car, what happens if you sell it later?

You either sell the plate with the car or just get an ordinary plate and transfer your personal one onto your next car - hence the reason not to go for a car specific plate unless you leave it on the car (i.e. F13STA)

I was thinking more in terms of what plate do you put on the car you sell, i thought i read somewhere that when you register your private plate on the car then the old one becomes invalid or scrapped. So if you decide to sell and want to keep your private plate for your next vehicle then what do you sell the vehicle with?

That's what a lot of people have said. But my corsa had a private plate and has now got its ORIGIONAL plate back one. It was only private for a few months tho, but its defo the same plate.

I can't make up my mind if I want to get a personal plate for mine once the 59 plate becomes the 'old' registration

Personally, I think a personal plate finishes a car of nicely. Its all personal opinion though lol. I think plates that spell things are tacky, but ones which are unique to you and may be mysterious and leave other guiessing is always good. :) Something like X100 PW or something

Did think about trying to sourse the registration of my first ever car but no luck . . . (and I am guessing the car it was on has been scrapped by now as it was on a 1981 Suzuki SC100GX) and then keep it for all future cars

I was thinking more in terms of what plate do you put on the car you sell, i thought i read somewhere that when you register your private plate on the car then the old one becomes invalid or scrapped. So if you decide to sell and want to keep your private plate for your next vehicle then what do you sell the vehicle with?

If you want to keep your personal plate for your next car,as I have done with all my cars,you either have it put straight on your new car (subject to DVLA paperwork arriving it time) and dvla will re issue the ORIGINAL plate it had,or you can ,as others have done here put it on retention to keep for when you get your next car,and again DVLA will reissue the the ORIGINAL plate the car came with,so you can sell your car legally

One drawback with retention is you can only have it on retention for 12 months you must either use it,sell it or return it when the 12 months are up. (check on the paperwork or notes are available from DVLA website)

lastly again as others have said here,so long as you are still the legal owner,and so long as you can prove that,..............you can change your name,or address ,again proof needed, (just the same as single women do when they get married) and it will only show one owner.

kristal

God, picking a nice plate is harder then picking the car in the first place . . . .

I agree Paul - can we help at all?

Put up the contenders and we'll (well I will anyway :lol:) tell you what I think looks/sounds good.

Mine's going to be *REMOVED*

Currently thinking

S10 WPO - SLOW PO - PO being my initials

K155 POD - Surname being O'D . . . . . .

P60 SFO - My initials (Middle name G = 6) followed by my partners initials

SF04 PGO (SFO 4 PGO) both of our intials

Currently thinking

S10 WPO - SLOW PO - PO being my initials

K155 POD - Surname being O'D . . . . . .

P60 SFO - My initials (Middle name G = 6) followed by my partners initials

SF04 PGO (SFO 4 PGO) both of our intials

P60 SFO of that lot for sure - but I'm sure you can do better than all of those...

Slow Po? Really? :lol:

P60 SFO of that lot for sure - but I'm sure you can do better than all of those...

Slow Po? Really? :lol:

Yes - personal plate is personal to me and those are my initials - tbh it would be a good one as being S10W is not one of the things I do well . . . . not with 120bhp to play with anyway

lastly again as others have said here,so long as you are still the legal owner,and so long as you can prove that,..............you can change your name,or address ,again proof needed, (just the same as single women do when they get married) and it will only show one owner.

kristal

One of the best plates I ever saw was 130 LOX and it was on a Ferrari at a garage in Leicester!

I couldn't afford the plate let alone the car...........not that I've ever wanted a Ferrari of course. ;)

Well thanks to advice on here i took the plunge and bought one.

DG02 RDG

DG= MY INITIALS

02 = ITS MY SECOND CAR

RDG = MY HOME TOWN AND FOOTBALL TEAM (READING)