Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 Clicking Noise

caffeinehigh

I have a 2003 MK1 Focus Zetec 1.6 that is starting to make an annoying clicking / clinking noise from the engine. The best way I can think of describing it is almost like a high pitched clinking noise you get when you tap glass bottles together.

When I am in neutral and rev the engine I can't hear it, it mainly seems to happen either when accelerating or in a highish gear going up a hill. So presumably when the engine is working harder. It has done this for a while but seems to have gotten a little worse since it came out of the garage for an MOT the other day. But all they did was change the CAT, brake pipes and things like that. Nothing to do with the engine apart from update the engine management software version (they said it fixed an issue with the engine revving its self slightly which it seems to have done).

Car has done 99K miles and was serviced this time last year so is due another one.

Any ideas?

Are you sure its not a CV joint clicking as it only happens when under load ? does it ever do it going round corners ?

I suppose that is possible, any way of testing? It hasn't done it going around corners that I have noticed. It used to make a creaking noise going around corners but it was fixed with a new anti roll bar link.

Well if it passed the MOT then the cv boots must be intact Time for radio off window down, find a hill and have a mate listen as you pull away . Driving around in a circle on full lock both ways in a car park should in theory make a duff cv joint click.

Has the timing belt been done the clicking can be a sign the tensioner is failing

That might be something worth looking at. I have no idea if the timing belt has been changed by the previous owner. I took a look at the belt a few months ago and there were no cracks or anything / looked fine. Probably needs changing to be safe though.

its past the 10 years and also almost st the 100k youre lucky it hasnt went already the belt will look fine but the tensioner can whine and give loud clicks when its on its way out thats why a full timing kit should be fitted not just a belt

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club