Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Facelift 2.0L Petrol: Air Conditioning Troubleshooting.

cragger89

Chaps,

Have had my new car regassed by ATS whom did not charge me as the system didn't work afterwards.

I've done some reading up but have failed to find images of what I am actually looking for.

The system was pressure tested and no leaks have been found, when pressing the button to turn on the A/C, the compressor does not kick in, neither does the cooling fan.

I have read mention of a low pressure switch which if you "short" or bypass, will engage the clutch and the fan. Can anyone explain me in simpleton terms (assuming that I know the dangers of electricity and how to work safely with it) where the connectors are for this so that I can at least test it? I'm not sure what my next step would be, but I am quietly hoping I will do this, the new gas and oil will circulate around the A/C system and work properly thereafter, but I'm not going to get my hopes up!

I have checked the A/C fuse in the central fuse box and diode in the auxiliary fuse box and both appear to be OK, but any tests which are more in depth are welcomed!

I know where to locate the low pressure point as I was looking at it earlier this morning (drivers side wheel arch.)

I know that the cooling fan does work as I heard it earlier after a spirited drive when I got back to the house.

Any advice is appreciated.

I had a similar problem with Kwik-Sh...Fit

Turns out they were just eejits who don't know how to use the equipment (or as my cynical side reckons: trying to extort money for work that doesn't need doing)

The 18yo lass even had the cheek to tell me it HAD to be the compressor because it wasn't kicking in.

Took it to a local independent garage and they filled it first time!! He even left it running for a while just to make sure it held - then invited me back for a free re-inspection (haven't bothered as it's running well)

• Like 1

I was of the impression these air con regas machines were just self automated once connected and the cycle button has been pressed?

The thing is, ATS haven't charged me because it didn't work, I don't really want to go to an independent and risk them charging me to regas it if it doesn't work still.

Not saying your experience isn't true, but I just have doubts that in my situation it's going to be resolved by getting it regassed again, although it would be nice!

Hi, Looking into why my a/c and cruise control won't work and found that fuse 82 had blown which controls Cc and A/c along with washer heaters and others. I believe the washer heater elements short and as soon as you switch on they blow the fuse again. Mine just did so I am investigating this tomorrow. Just a thought for your problem. Fuse is behind the glove box. Am going to disconnect my washer heater circuit to test.

Barrie

Hi!

I did suspect that myself, but all of the other gadgets work perfectly.

I did find the connectors I mentioned earlier and shorted pins 1 & 4, but the compressor still did not kick in. When pressing the A/C button I did hear the fan start up, so I think I've narrowed it down to just being the compressor.