Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg

Adamjenno

State your car, any modifications - and the average MPG that you get :)

ill start: 1.6 zetec 5dr - 2011 - 32.2 :/

Petrol

2009 1.6 petrol Zetec. 38K on the clock My trip average is 36.3, probably 70% very slow urban, I think my weekly run on a motorway with 50 MPH speed limit helps though.

I'm impressed with the urban, but disappointed with motorway (without a 50 limit) I think another gear would help, sitting at over 3000 revs at normal speeds.

mine is all urban too tbh, it's a new car for me so I'm becoming obsessed with mpg and gear changes :P

I would like to see it go up, I fancy a motorway trip just to observe my mpg though!

Zetec 1.6 tdci tend to get around 50-60 depending on my week, 4 x 30 mile long runs without kicking the !Removed! out of it + about 16 sub 5 mile short runs, gives me about 55.

if I kick the !Removed! out of it on acceleration on all runs I get about 48-50.

If I really put the hammer down id say about 40

Not sure its really possible to compare as we are all different drives doing different runs in different cars with different weather in different traffic.

Z

Not sure its really possible to compare as we are all different drives doing different runs in different cars with different weather in different traffic.

I agree it is almost impossible to compare like for like. I would say the 3 things which affect mpg most is 1. type and age of engine, petrol vs diesel, 2. length and type of journey/traffic and 3. driving style. It is debatable which has the biggest effect.

For me, 2007 Focus 1.6tdci ghia, coming up to 100,000 miles, mainly medium to long journeys on A roads and motorways the long term average is 60.5 mpg. I got the dpf gutted in Dec 2013 and since then it has climbed to about 66 mpg. Even the 2,000 miles pulling a big trailer the length of Europe gave me over 50mpg average.

• Like 1

2009 1.8 Petrol Focus, according to trip computer, 26mpg but based on daily run of 4 miles in traffic. On a run about 40mpg

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

1.8TDCI Zetec 08 with 72000, I Cleaned and Blanked the EGR about 5 months ago, Commute 60 miles daily mostly motorway at 65mph, but do work delivering pizza 3 nights a week too which is all stop start low gear driving.

Getting average 52.3 at the mo :)

I agree it is almost impossible to compare like for like. I would say the 3 things which affect mpg most is 1. type and age of engine, petrol vs diesel, 2. length and type of journey/traffic and 3. driving style. It is debatable which has the biggest effect.

For me, 2007 Focus 1.6tdci ghia, coming up to 100,000 miles, mainly medium to long journeys on A roads and motorways the long term average is 60.5 mpg. I got the dpf gutted in Dec 2013 and since then it has climbed to about 66 mpg. Even the 2,000 miles pulling a big trailer the length of Europe gave me over 50mpg average.

its things like that that start to get me wondering why im so low compared to other similar cars, reality is the roads play a huge part, as does driving style, hell even your tyres play a part not to mention the fuel you've used.

I have a "feeling" something is up on mine, I think its using too much at idle and I have to constantly reset it as I drive, add a bit, throttle off easy it back again otherwise it'll happily sit there using more then it should. Ive heard of cars on here getting 70 odd after dpf and egr so its a little frustrating not getting that high but its important to keep in mind, unless that person is driving your same route, its not comparable, for example, if you live down the south east, its virtually flat compared to Scotland, even slight but big inclines over a big distance will have a massive effect.

66mpg is very good, esp for an older car but similar setup to mine

its things like that that start to get me wondering why im so low compared to other similar cars, reality is the roads play a huge part, as does driving style, hell even your tyres play a part not to mention the fuel you've used.

I have a "feeling" something is up on mine, I think its using too much at idle and I have to constantly reset it as I drive, add a bit, throttle off easy it back again otherwise it'll happily sit there using more then it should. Ive heard of cars on here getting 70 odd after dpf and egr so its a little frustrating not getting that high but its important to keep in mind, unless that person is driving your same route, its not comparable, for example, if you live down the south east, its virtually flat compared to Scotland, even slight but big inclines over a big distance will have a massive effect.

66mpg is very good, esp for an older car but similar setup to mine

I know what you mean about driving in hilly areas. I hate it when there is a junction or roundabout at the bottom of a big hill - you are on your brakes all the way down, stop at the bottom and them burn a load of fuel accelerating up the other side so all your momentum has turned into brake dust.

One of the reasons I keep an eye on the mpg is to get an early warning if someting is not right. Thats how I worked out the dpf was basically trying to regenerate all the time when it got clogged and the mpg dropped like a stone. There was another time on another car my handbrake was stuck partially on which apart from being dangerous ws also costing me fuel. I wouldn't have noticed it apart from that, or at least until it failed the MOT. Oh yeah, and I like the feeling of getting over 700 miles on a tank.

The other thing I have done is over inflate the tyres to 40psi which reduces rolling resistance. Its still less than to 51psi max marked on the side wall, and doesn't cause any more wear than normal. Funnily enough the only time I ever had a blow-out was before I started doing this and they were at the recommended pressure.

I do genuinely find this interesting, and im not the most mechanically minded people.

I too live in a hilly area and my journey to work is around 2 miles - traffic light stop starts & Early cold mornings dont really go too well!

Ive no idea what a DPF and a EGR are, suppose now I have a newer car i should care more? :)

I do genuinely find this interesting, and im not the most mechanically minded people.

I too live in a hilly area and my journey to work is around 2 miles - traffic light stop starts & Early cold mornings dont really go too well!

Ive no idea what a DPF and a EGR are, suppose now I have a newer car i should care more? :)

You don't need to worry about a dpf if you have a petrol engine. Not sure about egr valves on petrol though.

Think some petrols have EGRs too, they're probably less of a problem on them, though shovelling crappy air in to any engine isn't going to help your millage one bit ;)

Heres a question, is it better have have higher fuel economy or decreased emissions

Or in other words,

Which is worse, higher emissions per kilo of fuel but less fuel usage

Or Lower emissions per kilo of fuel but increased fuel usage

Focus 1.8 Zetec S 2009 (125ps Duratec) :

Average over 4 months/2700 miles - 37mpg

Heavy traffic - Less than 30mpg

Urban - Less than 33mpg

Extra Urban (35-65mph) - 39mpg

2005 Ford Focus Titanium 2.0 TDCI Saloon (non DPF), 134bhp..251lbs-ft. 136k on the clock. Currently getting 55mpg. Average speed is reading 34mph. My daily commute is about 10 miles each way on mostly A and B roads..only a tiny bit of town centre driving. I do use Shell V-Power Nitro+ diesel....and 6th gear as often as possible:-)

Focus 2.0 petrol 5dr Titanium

30 miles to work using A/B roads and get 40.2 to 40.6 mpg and do give it a little stick when nothing ahead.

Have not done any motorway trips yet.

People have said ford engines are thirsty, but this is a mazda engine and I like it a lot. :)

I've got a totally standard sub 50k mile 1.6 TDCi Titanium X (so comes with lots of fuel hungry electrical extras lol, not that I'm needing heated screens or seats yet!).

My trip meter average is 59mpg with very mixed driving (messes with my OCD lol, wish it'd tick over to 60!

But weirdly, I'm getting worse mpg on the dual carriageway at 60 or 70 than on the B road! I really can't work this out tbh, I'm 'only' getting around 50-55mpg at either 60 or 70 (seems to make little to no difference), does drop badly down to about 45mpg at 80...purely for testing purposes. It obviously makes the average drop badly, down to about 55mpg, but then I'm doing 63-68 mpg on the B road, I do about 12 miles of B road to get home after the dual carriageway and the average MPG raises to about 59/60mpg by the time I get home.

Does anyone else get worse mpg on the motorway?

Smaller roads have a lot more lift and coast, using momentum to clear smaller inclines, big roads tend to be consistent throttle, though using the bottom of the peddled and flexing just your toes back and forth can help greatly I think my issues are down to taking an age to get warmed up, the coolant hits 100 quick enough but it takes about 7 miles to hit optimum. Coming home last night I watched the mpg for the last 10 miles, 70-99.9 :)

Yeah, faster will increase fuel consumption because of having more wind resistance. I find dual carriageway or motorway at 60-70mph in moving traffic is about the best if you are not on and off the brakes the whole time. Motorways with no traffic are worse because I go faster. A roads are ok on good stretches, but as soon as you are into traffic lights and roundabouts then it starts to suffer because its all brakes and acceleration unless you can time it right by coasting in just as the lights turn green.

How much difference will the tyre width make to mpg at higher speeds?

Obviously some Focus variants have 16" wheels with 195 (or smaller) tyre width, whereas others will have 18's or 19's with 225 or 235 tyre width.

Different tyre compounds will make a difference too. Hard-eco tyres will provide less rolling resistance than soft-compound 'sport' tyres.post-55018-0-92724700-1412778908_thumb.g

I have tried both normal Michelin Primacy and Michelin Energy+ and tbh I didn't really see any difference between them in terms of mpg, so I concluded the Energy rating is just a marketting gimmick.

As I said above, I did see a difference with both when I increased the tyre pressure to 40psi which reduces rolling resistance, to the point that I noticed straight away when the garage had reduced them back to recommended values during a service. I would guess wider tyres have more rolling resistance because there is more contact area with the ground, but I don't know that for sure.

I cant say for the Focus but on my 306 the tyres made a difference of around 4mpg. That was swapping from Toyo T1Rs (terrible tyre, never again!) to Rainsport 3's.

Though the amount of grip isn't directly related to the fuel consumption (as odd as that seems). The rainsports had tonnes more grip than the toyos!

There are also decent tyres out now that have good energy rating and good wet grip (which is what we need in Britian most of the time). Dunlop BluResponse are probably going to be my next tyre choice for that reason. :) The Focus came on Hankook Ventus Evo's - which sounds like a transformer lol - but I cant really fault them tbf, apart from attracting punctures anyway!

hi all,,, i have a 2012 titanium 1.6 tdci 115 econetic,

around the city i get 48-55 depending on how trafic lights are.

in the country i get 60-65, a lot less stoping and starting.

motorways with cc set to 76 (dont know why 76, i just like the number and use it all the time) i get 55-60

the car has a 6 speed box and has conti contact 2 tyres on all 4 corners that are 215 wide.

If i batter it im still getting 40-45.

This is all without using the stop start as it does my head in and its not economical in city driving at all.

Official mpg is 76-80,,, real world its 45-65 with an avarage of around 58 ish. :)

"But weirdly, I'm getting worse mpg on the dual carriageway at 60 or 70 than on the B road! I really can't work this out tbh, I'm 'only' getting around 50-55mpg at either 60 or 70 (seems to make little to no difference), does drop badly down to about 45mpg at 80...purely for testing purposes. It obviously makes the average drop badly, down to about 55mpg, but then I'm doing 63-68 mpg on the B road, I do about 12 miles of B road to get home after the dual carriageway and the average MPG raises to about 59/60mpg by the time I get home.

Does anyone else get worse mpg on the motorway?"

I think the milage is better on the B roads as regards to motor way and dual carrige ways because there's a lot more lifting and coasting on the back side of inclines, where as motor ways are usually flat.
my figures are very simelar to yours.

2007 1.8 tdci with egr blanking plate and green cotton air filter. Its has falcon tyres all round with B rated fuel efficiency. My average is 54.3 mpg and its a mixture of motorway and urban driving. Im due to Re-map it next month