Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting A 2008 Door Onto A 2010 Focus.....problems. Please Help.

binka

I know nothing about cars but have a 2010 ford focus estate.

I recently had an accident and went through my insurance for a repair. Damage wasnt too bad and I had no idea the door had been replaced but they did replace it. With a 2008 door.

Which I've just found out as it failed its MOT due to the indicator in that wing mirror not working. Its cost me £150 at an autoelectrician today to get it sorted. Plus a £50 failed mot.

Autoelectrician said its never worked and that the wiring is incompatible. I have photos of it all and the blue and white wire comes out the bottom of a plug on one end and then the wire in the door is at the top of a plug. Autoelectrician said they couldn't physically meet. Hs had to drill a new hole and do bridging wiring to sort it.

Garage reckon there can't have been a problem as the focus model is from 2008 to 2010 and it would have been the same. My gut feeling is the auto electrician is right. Do you think he is?

Either way I reckon the garage should pay because the wiring certainly wasnt connected.

You should talk to the insurance company, as no doubt they insisted that you use their approved repairers. There should be a guarantee on insurance company repairs, and it would appear that you've had a sub standard repair done. When insurance companies insist you use their approved repairers, always challenge them, as it's your car and you have the right to have it repaired where you wish. A garage owner told me this many years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

I'll ring the insurance company when they open tomorrow but what I'm trying to find out is if it is a sub standard repair?

Insurance company are just going to ring the garage who I think will try and argue that its fine.

If the wiring is wrong for your car and they never hooked it up, it is substandard. The invoice from the sparky should suffice as evidence, along with the photos.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

The doors are the same the connectors and plugs are the same but the door you got im assuming the door came from a 2008 but could have come from an earlier car that didnt have wing mirror indicators or the garage simply mucked up the job that plug in the frame comes out and could have been turned easily enough without having to bridge anything the interior trim comes off the seatbelt lower mechanism bolt comes out then the internal plugs disconnect ie the whole block and can be turned around so that the plugs matched up

Thanks. Will argue that they caused the problem by not connecting it up, because they hadn't. See how it goes.

Does the invoice from the garage reflect that they used a second hand door for the repair? assuming this is the case.

From what I've seen all the facelift cars had the mirror repeaters, but can't fully work out on the wiring schematic how the wiring works - one thought was if the door they used didn't match the old one in respect to having door module or not. Can see all the different individual plug wiring diagrams but it's not so easy understanding exactly which combination of these go together for the different spec vehicles. Shouldn't have been a case of a plug in the wrong orientation within the main connector as these should be error-proofed to prevent that happening in manufacture.

Either way you shouldn't be having to get an auto-electrician in to finish off the job the insurance repairer was paid for.

• Like 1

id keep on at them.when a garage repiared my focus,i had black bezel head lights and the garage changed the broken one about 4 time with a chrome bezel one, i just kept chasing them until they got it right in the end.

• Like 1

Well someone is not being honest and I don't know who.

Original garage say it is the correct door and Ford have confirmed it. Its brand new door but manufactured in 2008. I believe that. But then I say well you didnt wire it in.

They're saying its impossible to not wire it in. That its multi port plugs and if one thing is wired in (ie, window, central locking) then everything is wired in. They say that the port can't be put in upside down, etc and that there would never be any need for bridging wiring. They've heavily suggested to me that the auto electrician is trying it on with me.

But he came across as very honest. Took photos, wrote a report saying it was an incorrect door loom fitted. He also said that if anyone had a look at the car now they'd be able to see the bridging wiring. Original garage have said they'll take a look at it themselves if they have to.

And the mot garage who I've used for years, their account kind of backs the auto electrician up. That it wasnt a bulb and they couldn't find a snapped wire and that it was beyond their capability.

Original garage reckon it must have been a bulb or a snapped wire.

Could well be that if they've replaced the door loom then the wrong spec has been fitted - obviously the door is correct but seeing how many different looms there are for the doors. If the issue was a broken wire then your electrician would have had to make a similar bridging connection at the other end of whichever loom had the broken wire.

Was the door loom replaced as part of the repair?

I don't know if the loom was replaced but the autoelectrician in his report says its the incorrect loom for the car so I'd assume so.

You'd have to compare part numbers with the 2 looms to confirm that - and even then it's possible these don't match up due to different engineering levels or if Ford cut down the number of looms in service by supplying higher spec looms which leaves wires un-used on lower spec cars.

Yes the port can be put upside down i know i fixed one thats the only thing i can conclude that the socket on the interior was somehow turned upside down explaining why the door plug was at the bottom but the plug was at the top or as above its the wrong loom but i doubt it the door loom is standard across the range even down to 2005 ide take it to the original garage and let them see the issue .

When you remove the rubber seal on the door plug the connector block can fall through into the car hence why its possible they did this popped it back in but had it upside down

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club