Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fitting an alternator

Daave

hi, was wondering if i could pick anyone's brains. it seems i am in need of a new alternator for my 2000 reg fiesta zetec lx 1.25 and am looking to fit it myself but not 100% how to go about it. if anyone has tips please let me know.

the car is making an increasingly loud growling noise now when running, i have been informed that this is the alternator but im farely naive when it comes to vehicles, so if you think its anything else please let me know, i appreciate the description is vague!

hope you can help me soon, many thanks

p.s i have been quoted £85 for an alternator, does this sound reasonable?!?!

Dave

ive got an alternator for £20 to fit 1.25 zetec off x reg ,but,,its not got to be that ,remove fan belt run without belt if then quiet thats good because its something belt driven this could be alternator or tensioner idler etc if you are in lancs iwill have alook for you ,if not near get local garage to look its basic work ,bad news if still there with belt off could be engine or cam drive fault ,ive just put an engie in mine due to bottom end knock possible not a rare fault ihave spare bits but you are probly miles away thats usually the case,call me if you need any more info ,alternator not hard to change 30 mins 01254382963 phil

thanks, since the message i got one for £20. i found out to my displeasure that the noise did turn out to be the exhaust, as it suddenly came away at the connection to the silencer bit halfway down the m2, fantastic! <_<.

however, i think i still need a new alternator because my airbag light is constantly on, having checked connections etc, i had a diagnostic test on it and he suggested a new alternator, should this cure that problem?? but like u say, im nowhere near u, kent infact!

does having air con make any difference to fitting it? as this is what mechanics are asking when i ask about fitting an alternator?

dave