Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Essex V6

jocojohn

Hi,

I have just bought a MK 3 cortina fitted with the Essex V6 bored out to 3.1 lts. The bodywork is excellent but the engine runs like a bag of nails. The plugs, cap, rotor arm and leads have been renewed. Before I strip down the twin choke Weber I want to check the timing is spot on and here lies the problem.

When trying to use the strobe light, which is about 20 years old now, i cannot see any notch on the pulley next to the W mark although the strobe is pulsing light. Maybe the timing is way off or the firing order is wrong. Im sure the correct order is 1 4 2 5 3 6 but im not sure of how each cylinder is numbered.

I think it should be FRONT 1 2 3

4 5 6

but checking online some diagrams show the order as FRONT 1 2 3

6 5 4

Also the car has electronic ignition and not points so I dont think I can check the timing static.

Can anyone give me any ideas on this. Thanks in advance, John.

I haven't got a clue, but I wanted congratulate you on owning such an awesome relic, and I for one would love to see pictures.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

Ok so according to Tolerence Data looking into the bonnet .(PYA and PRC engine code)

first plug left bank no 1 then 3 then 5

first plug right bank no 2 then 4 then 6

so firing order 123456

Firing order front 1 3 5

2 4 6

your firing order is correct 142536

confused don't be tolerance just shows me your firing order as 123456 on its picture

hope that makes sense cos it sure has confused the hell out of me lololol :D :D :iim: :iim: :driving: :driving:

The carb itself suffers from wear on the throttle shafts, needle valve wearing out and perforated plastic floats , fingers crossed they are brass floats. you can buy service kits but sometimes the play is excessive on the shafts and suck in too much air and can be a pain in the rear.. and don't forget to check the tiny filter under the brass nut where the fuel enters.

TOOT TOOT

Hi, thanks for the replies,I have since found out the firing order and cylinder numbers are stamped on the inlet manifold, so hopefully tomorrow I will have a go at the timing and reset the carb basic settings. fingers crossed. now going to try and download some pictures.

Hi, thanks for the replies,I have since found out the firing order and cylinder numbers are stamped on the inlet manifold, so hopefully tomorrow I will have a go at the timing and reset the carb basic settings. fingers crossed. now going to try and download some pictures.

post-1177-0-82345600-1413643784_thumb.jp

post-1177-0-98570700-1413643847_thumb.jp

post-1177-0-54324500-1413643920_thumb.jp

post-1177-0-45406300-1413644011_thumb.jp

• Like 1

very nice indeed , the xflow units put in these were so underpowered , nice to purr about with the v6. :D :D :driving: :driving:

• 3 weeks later...

Like the Cortina 3, I think it is the most 'american' style car Ford of Europe ever made.

Beautiful colour too!