Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Power Issues

crazyshelby

Hi All,

I originally posted this back in April 2014, so thank you for everyone who has tried to help regarding my issues.

Old story back in April:-

Last year I purchased a Ford Focus 56 plate 2.0 litre TDCI for 2k. Although the mileage was 150k, the car looked to be in good condition overall as mainly it was used for long motorway trips. I started experiencing issues a few months after purchase. When driving along, as I put my foot down suddenly there was very little power. I could hardly accelerate and instantly a warning light came on. This was diagnosed via the mechanics computer, as the diesel particular filter being blocked. I appreciate this can be a very expensive issue, if you need a new filter. Speaking to a local garage, I was given the option of a 'regen' which although sounding quite bad for the engine etc I decided to go ahead with. A few weeks after I was losing power again, however I never saw the diesel filter issue come back on. Instead I was greeted with an engine management light showing the car had gone into 'limp mode'.

After a few limp modes and clearing codes with the garage, I put the focus in for a full service. The mechanic replaced all the oil, filters etc and it passed the MOT. After a lot of looking he found that one of the hoses attached to the engine/turbo area had come undone. With all the work, I thought the car issues had been sorted for a while.

What I will say at this point is that I have a full service history with the car. However there are no lists as to what work has been carried out over the years. So as it stands, I don't know whether cam belt,
gearbox,etc etc has been touched...

A common thread to my problems came back with 'Blanking plate in the EGR valve. I fitted this and found that between April and October of this year, yes I had the yellow warning light on for the engine (which I have heard is common due to the plate) but the car ran fine.

Story now:-

Every week I have been using a diagnostic machine to wipe the engine faults. However after a long trip to Skegvegas last week, I was presented with no warning lights for the first time. I found the car pulled better than it ever had. However I got in it this week to hear quite a strange hissing/squealing noise from the bonnet. This disappeared and I have lost performance again. I am getting the following error codes as per my attached msg through Torque app.

P0490 - Powertrain

P2263 - Turbo/Super charger boost system performance

P0002 - Powertrain

P120F - Powetrain

NOW THE STRANGE PART:-

For the first time I am also getting a red light error on the dash in the center display stating 'Engine Systems Fault'. This is the first time I've had this error, in all the times I have lost power. It keeps coming on and off and takes over the dash (can't look at mileage, fuel left etc)...This is now happening instead of the yellow engine light coming up!

I've tried to attach a couple of pics to show what I mean. Appreciate this is long winded I apologise but I've tried to make it as clear as possible to help diagnose. Any help on what is going on/what to do next etc would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

post-53632-0-07846400-1413314002_thumb.p

post-53632-0-62150800-1413314017_thumb.j

That means stop now to prevent engine damage clearing the codes wont solve the issue you really need it booked into a dealer

P0490 is egr valve stick or split boost pipe

P2263 is either egr valve stuck open or turbo actuator arm siezed

P0002 fuel volume regulator circuit

P012f oil cooler efficiency monitor so ide be looking at a split intercooler pipe or turbo hose

Ok thanks for that msg. At present the problem seems to be very intermittent, so I'm hoping it is piping etc rather than the turbo going!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club