• 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear

pezza371887

Ford Injector Issues 1.8 Tdci - Ford Wont Tell You About Them - Must Read

Finally had a look at injectors and all mine end in 3 which dont sound good for me, to be honest had new fuel filter fitted which was genione part and car was running smooth but starting to creep back to the jerky side, mainly 3rd gear at 33mph is the issue

4 hours ago, Dennis the meance said:

Mine does the jerk at around 1800-1900rpm on light throttle in any gear 

If you already havnt put a new ford fuel filter on fill make it much better not as jerky as before

Hello,

An update on my focus. Managed to get a hold of 4 injectors from a 2007 model 1.8tdci. Had a local garage fit. Initally all was good, better sounding engine, no hesitation , improved mpg etc. 

However, i got the limp home mode again on Sunday! Fault codes show the same injector fault on cyclinder 3 (only seen cyclinder 1/2 before but had all injectors replaced). 

I have now checked under the bonnet and believe something may be wrong - one of the injectors looks like it may still be my old one! 

2 questions - cylinder numbers - do the fault codes refer to cylinders 1 to 4 as left to right when looking into the engine bay from front of car?

Secondly, does anyone know more about the injector serial numbers. My old ones and the 'new' ones have the same main serial number, and the same serial on the second line. But i thought the 'new' ones all differed on the serial on the third line with a format like - Gxxx. The old ones definetly had a format of - Hxxx (see picture). Does anyone onow if this serial definitely differentiates between injector batches?

Thanks!

image.jpeg

Hello,

We have had the same symptoms with our Focus. 58 plate, registered in 2009. Three of the four injectors end in 3. We bought the car at 44,000 miles (now at 67,000) but often experiencing 'engine hesitations' and 'Engine Malfunction Warning Lights'. Normally by restarting the car the warning disappears, although yesterday it returned three times before the engine ran normally. It even made a new 'chugging' sound yesterday. Very disappointed with diesel injectors beginning to fail at 67k... slightly jealous of those who have made it to 120k on this post! :) 

To be clear, did anyone have any luck by putting pressure on Ford to replace them at cost price or under discount? I saw one user pushing for it...

Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get it booked in with our local garage. Although, I am debating about selling the car and starting again with something else? I've read about DMFs needing replacing - are there any other pricey repairs that may come up between 70-90k miles? About to need a new set of tyres too which adds to the immediate costs.

2 hours ago, pineapplepeteski said:

get it booked in with our local garage. Although, I am debating about selling the car

With a job of that size, I would recommend contacting a few garages for quotes to replace the 3 injectors. Then make a decision based on whether they sound like they know what they are doing, and whether they have a good reputation & reports. But also avoid any that are suspiciously cheap, or outrageously expensive. It could be worth traveling quite a few miles to get a good, experienced garage.

DMF lifetime is very variable, it easily last over 100k, if it is not abused. DMF killers are using wide throttle openings at low rpm (below 1500), or lots of harsh racing starts, heating up the clutch frequently.

Cam belt is an important service coming up soon. Ford recommend 10 years / 100k miles, I believe, but most people recommend a shorter interval of 8 years / 80k miles. Its about £300 for cam belt, but could be quite a bit more if you wanted the water pump and the lower timing chain or belt done at the same time. But I don't think many owners have the water pump & chain done as a routine service.

Hi there,  

Sorry to dig up an old thread. 

My 2008 1.8tdci cmax has gone into limp mode on 2 separate times, the first had p0202 code and u2023. I didn't get to see the second time it limped.  

Before the car enters limp mode, I experience jolting as if the power is being cut for a second.

3 of the 4 injectors end with the dreaded 3, one seems to have already been changed. 

I have bought one new injector with the view of changing this myself.  How difficult are they to change, I'm aware they do not need coding. 

Any advice would be great? 

Thanks

7 hours ago, Cmax1.8tdci said:

How difficult are they to change, I'm aware they do not need coding. 

In principle, very easy.

In practice, there are two main problem areas:

Bolts, pipe fittings & injectors seized up and won't move. They have been in place for 9 years or so, now. Persistence and the careful and correct use of force is usually the answer. This needs some experience in dealing with stuck bits, to be able to judge how much force can be applied before something breaks. And patience and determination! BFMI ohmy.png is not the answer.

Cleanliness: Injectors are very sensitive to the smallest bits of swarf and grit. Thoroughly clean & flush through with filtered diesel, any disturbed pipework. Protect the injector inlet port against any dirt.

The pipes use metal to metal seals, and are only intended for one time use, though they are very often re-used ok. But if any fuel leaks are seen after tightening the fittings to the correct torque (25Nm in Haynes), then a new pipe may be needed. The stresses on these fittings and pipes from the 1500Bar fuel pressure, are huge.

Please let us know how you get on. This does seem to be a problem that will be of interest (unfortunately!) to others.

10 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

In principle, very easy.

In practice, there are two main problem areas:

Bolts, pipe fittings & injectors seized up and won't move. They have been in place for 9 years or so, now. Persistence and the careful and correct use of force is usually the answer. This needs some experience in dealing with stuck bits, to be able to judge how much force can be applied before something breaks. And patience and determination! BFMI ohmy.png is not the answer.

Cleanliness: Injectors are very sensitive to the smallest bits of swarf and grit. Thoroughly clean & flush through with filtered diesel, any disturbed pipework. Protect the injector inlet port against any dirt.

The pipes use metal to metal seals, and are only intended for one time use, though they are very often re-used ok. But if any fuel leaks are seen after tightening the fittings to the correct torque (25Nm in Haynes), then a new pipe may be needed. The stresses on these fittings and pipes from the 1500Bar fuel pressure, are huge.

Please let us know how you get on. This does seem to be a problem that will be of interest (unfortunately!) to others.

Thanks for your response Peter.  I have ordered the Haynes manual with the hope that it may offer some assistance too. The car has only done 40k, probably part of the problem... 

When I spoke to ford, two different garages, they refused to look into the service bulletin for the update that may help the issue.  They also say they have never heard of any faulty batch of injectors. 

nor will ford ever admit it to faulty injectors just glad I bought the 1.6tdci which also has known problems but not injectors hope you get it sorted soon

On a semi related note, does anyone know if the MK3 Mondeo with the same engine also suffered from the bad batches of injectors in 08-09?

5 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

does anyone know if the MK3 Mondeo with the same engine also suffered from the bad batches of injectors in 08-09?

The TSB that refers to this problem covers Focus, C-Max, Mondeo, Transit & Tourneo. It gives the same injector serial no (ending in 3) for all.

Most of the TSB is posted on this site:

Though it seems like the recalibration procedure in the TSB is only a partial or temporary cure. According to pezza371887, an intermittent electrical fault in the injector is the real culprit. (posted Oct 22, 2014.)

There is at least one Mondeo owner (Denny Mac) in this thread, though it was a Mk4, he says.

18 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

The TSB that refers to this problem covers Focus, C-Max, Mondeo, Transit & Tourneo. It gives the same injector serial no (ending in 3) for all.

Most of the TSB is posted on this site:

Though it seems like the recalibration procedure in the TSB is only a partial or temporary cure. According to pezza371887, an intermittent electrical fault in the injector is the real culprit. (posted Oct 22, 2014.)

There is at least one Mondeo owner (Denny Mac) in this thread, though it was a Mk4, he says.

Thanks mate, I figured that it would affect all cars with the Lynx engine installed 08-09 but nice to have it confirmed.  If I do upgrade to a MK4 Mondeo I'll be sure to avoid the 'bad' years as per an equivalent Focus.

Ford wouldn't even look into the tsb because they said there's no recall on my reg. All they wanted was for me to bring the car in for diagnostics at £110 per hour... 

You can see the serial number etched into the side of the injector without removing them. 

My Haynes manual arrived, seems pretty informative. 

Not sure whether to wait until it happens again or just change one...

I came here to have a look because my 2012 SMax (1600 TDCI) has the same problem. I've had number 1 repaired and number 3 replaced and now I have another one going. Engine fault warning flashes up and car trips into limp mode, usually going up hill or accelerating onto a motorway. The car is 5 years old and has 63k on the clock.