Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Auto Wiper Upgrade

Jeff Cooper

I'm trying without a lot of luck to upgrade my Zetec with auto wipers and headlights - I've reprogrammed the BCM so that the car is expecting to use the fitted switch and rain/light sensor, but when it tries to use either, I get a warning message about a malfunction on the MFD, and when I use my code reader to check it, I think it gives a LIN bus problem - which I think is the signal wire from the sensor to the BCM (wherever that is??)

It's not the most complicated system in terms of wiring or components, but I just can't get past this - and I've tried 2 other sensors just to check - the only thing I haven't done is to attach the sensor to the windscreen, but I can't see why not doing that would give this message, unless somehow the sensor is sending some data that the BCM just isn't prepared to accept.

Can anyone give me any help with this - any hints or previous failure know-how would all be very gratefully received - if I can get rid of the error message, I can then risk the £200 on a new windscreen!!

To be honest, I find the auto wipers and headlights are a waste of time and money. The headlights come on in sunny weather, then go out with the smallest changes in exterior light. The wipers work when they want to. Even adjusting the wheel on the selector doesn't do a great deal and this has been from day 1 on a brand new car.

• Like 1

It's strange, people do seem to hate them - but I've had mostly good experiences with them, and I've got to get the most out of my VCM2 module somehow!

I had auto lights on my Civic and my experience was that the wipers worked really well and the lights didn't come on early enough. The Fiesta is the opposite the auto lights are really good but the wipers are useless, I'm actually thinking of turning them off in the system menu.

Absolutely, all this "auto" stuff really hisses me off. Same with ESP, I wanna drive my car, not be dictated to by some computer modelling "software engineer" who doesn't have 50 years driving experience. Still 4 weeks to wait for my Tit, first jobs -

Disable/not use auto lights

Disable/not use Auto wipers

Disable ESP

Disable that lousy chime and anything else auto.

Pity they haven't invented auto indicators for the maroons who don't give a toss.

All I want is the Fiesta chassis, ecoboost engine and 16" wheels, or preferably a new XR2 ;)

Why did you buy this model of fiesta?

Auto lights, just don't turn the switch to A, mines been on Auto all the time I turned it off once to see what the DRLs looked like at night

Auto wipers work fine, just learn how to set them, they are much better than the lower spec intermittent where the delay is never right for the amount of rain

ESP default setting is on as per EU rules, don't think there is an off switch in the 1.0l, the ST has but I've never bothered to turn it off.

When you get this car try the auto stuff, you might like it and wonder why you made such a fuss over nothing, they really don't take anything away from being a driver.

Mark, I pray that you are correct. To my mind it's all a load of ollocks.

I ordered the Tit because I like the ride, the chassis and I like the engine/poke, end of.

I LIKE to turn on the lights, when *I* want to.

I LIKE to turn on the wipers, when *I* want to.

I'd LIKE to adjust the rear view mirror when I WANT to but it seems I don't have the choice etc.

The phone? Stuff the damn phone.

I spose (IMO) they're designed for the numpty generation who have no clue.

God help me/us when I/we have an electronics problem. I can hear the teeth sucking already.

EDIT: I can't see this lasting 16 years like the XR2. No matter, I prolly won't be here :D

By then they'll have "in journey" bum waxing (auto of course).

Why get a titanium ? Plenty of other fiesta models that offer the same ride / engine without the gadgets. You'd say money too.

That's a good question, Willy. I have no answer cept I thought I'd go slightly up-market. 30 years back I'd have gone for the ST poke (with obligatory baseball cap).

• Like 1

Well yea, but you don't wear it sideways :D

You kids ;)

I love my auto wipers. Work really well on mine. The lights generally ok though do come on just now too soon with the low sun. They generally sit on A but I do turn them off if they come on under that scenario.

Is it a problem if they come on too soon? It would be if they came on too late, auto lights also help by putting the on if you forget to because the dash lights are always on. You see loads of people with no headlamps on at night because of this.

Rear view mirror you still adjust, it just dims when the lights of the car behind are too bright, you won't even notice it's working.

These are convienience features and are just that, I'd rather leave them to do their thing while I enjoy driving the car.

Back on topic though, their is a member called Nath (possible inath) who might be able to help as he has done loads of upgrades for fiestas via the bcm.

I like the idea of autowipers, but sometimes the windscreen can be totally covered with raindrops before they decide to give it a wipe. Isthere any way to make them more sensitive? Sometimes I have to override them just to see where I'm going

I like the idea of autowipers, but sometimes the windscreen can be totally covered with raindrops before they decide to give it a wipe. Isthere any way to make them more sensitive? Sometimes I have to override them just to see where I'm going

This is exactly the issue I have with them, very inconsistent compared to my Civic.

Going backa few years I had a Renault Laguna as a company car. It had auto lights. Got blase about them until one day I got stopped for driving with no lights! Numpties at the stealership had turned auto off while doing a service. I prefer to turn them on myself now. :-)

This is because your on the wrong setting bud I had this at start but fixed it all you have to do is there is a turny thingy on the right stick just twist it till you get right setting. The way a do it is when it's raining I twist it till there at right speed and once done it usually great after it but this is just me and my habits haha had auto wipers on old car too and they worked great too

As for lights coming on too early I have explained this on other post it's because of the equinox and position of Sun it's not just Ford all makes do it have a look in morning and you will see BMW Mercs Audi's etc all have same problem at this time of year but as said rather on than off lol

I had a go at turning that wheel yesterday, but it didn't seem to do much. On my ZS it changed the speed of the intermittent wiping, but dont understand exactly what it does with auto wipers. I'll have another play with it later if its still raining.

I had a go at turning that wheel yesterday, but it didn't seem to do much. On my ZS it changed the speed of the intermittent wiping, but dont understand exactly what it does with auto wipers. I'll have another play with it later if its still raining.

Just needs a wee bit of fiddling mate it's increasing sensitivity of the wipers therefore why ur seeing it go faster a tent to try it when it's light rain (the one that's hard to detect) so if I turn it down the wipers don't come on so I turn it up till it starts wiping the way I want it then leave it and it should be good :) (remember a live in Scotland the land of the rain! Haha)

Even on the most sensitive setting they aren't that reliable.

Even on the most sensitive setting they aren't that reliable.

I haven't had any problems with this one or the ones in ma last car :/

Always work perfect and had no issues and I live in Scotland ....full of rain

Same. Wipers no problem.

I nearly got caught with my lights this morning. I had taken them off auto yesterday afternoon. Came out this morning and as the drls are so bright. I seen them shine off my Gate and drive off. A Mile or so down the road I realised my lights went on.....oops.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club