Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

3D Plate Registrations , Legal ?.

Tripsjohn

As title, I've got my private plate sorted from Halfords.

They offered me standard or 3D lettering where I opted for 3D as I like the look.

Last night after a little Google brought up people being stopped & fined by police (not sure which area) & having MOT's failed due to having 3D lettering. Others have asked police, dvla & MOT stations who said they are legal & all good.

Obviously need this clearing up.

Anyone had/have a 3D plate & any issues or know of anyone who's had issues ?.

Need to know before I get pulled for something I thought was legal.

Cheers folks.

Stoney is probably the best guy to answer this.

But, as far as I'm aware, 3D effect lettering is legal provided it meets the requirements regarding font, size, makers details etc

• Like 1

Stoney is probably the best guy to answer this.

But, as far as I'm aware, 3D effect lettering is legal provided it meets the requirements regarding font, size, makers details etc

Thanks Sean. I'd like to think it's all legal & never have it a second thought it couldn't be legal until I googled 3D plates to see others on cars then the forum posts kept springing up.

Thanks will try PM Stoney or hope they see this post, cheers mate.

They look perfectly legal to me...have bought cars with that style before without a second thought!

Pressed plates look even better though and are also legal! :D

If the plates are purchased via Halfords you will be fine.

In the UK it is now illegal to sell 'Show' plates (even for offroad use) and I can't see Halfords being likely to knowingly break the law.

"For plates issued after 2001, the numbers and letters are black with a standard font, preferably 'Charles Wright 2001'. The only official variation of this font is a 3D numberplate. With both standards, the numbers and letters must be 79 mm tall, 50 mm wide, and spaced 11 mm apart. British or European flag symbols and the country name or initials may be displayed on the side of the plate. The number plate should display the name and postcode of the plate manufacturer and supplier."

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far ;).

The only thing the plates show are in the bottom right corner which show "Signum BS AU 145D".

They are from Halfords so I'd assume they'd get this right/legal.

post-58735-0-81172700-1414242572_thumb.j

"The number plate should display the name and postcode of the plate manufacturer and supplier."

That is interesting! Glad I didn't try and remove it from my last car! 'Whoeveritwas Classic Cars' isn't that cool really is it? :ph34r:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club